What are you guys reading?

DDD

husband is on a reading kick focusing on past Presidents and current millionaires
:D like Buffett. I want to start reading again but can't seem to hone in on books of interest lately.

What are you guys reading? Has anyone read the book about the alternative treatment for Tourette's Syndrome? DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just last night I picked up two books by Ken Follet for H for Christmas: "O)n Wings of Eagles" and "Jackdaws". He read one of his books recently, "The Hammer of Eden", and was surprised he liked it so much, so I found two more similar to that first one for him. It has a bit if history, suspense, mystery and adventure. He likes that.

I am reading "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly and I really enjoying it. It is an epic-style love story that takes place in the late 1800's and involved an immigrant young woman who makes a go at her own business after suffering tragic losses in her home country of Ireland. There is a sequel, "The Winter Rose", so when I'm through with this, I'm going to get that one too!

I am not up for anything having to do with medical, self help, any type of disorders or what to do about them right now. I suppose I just want to escape!

klmno

Kind of funny triple D- I think many of us end up reading about treatment for difficult child issues every time we think of a book. I'm reading online stuff about how to get a medicaid waiver and local policies and laws on getting county assistance.

I have a few books I haven't read yet about mental health for myself. Those probably won't excite you too much either!

I've had a book titled Seat of the Soul in my bedroom for years and haven't read more than 10 pages in it yet. It did appear to be about different ways people find peace with themselves. Maybe someday I'll know that for sure!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am reading
"Reviving Ophelia" I don't have it right near me so I can't remember the author...
It is wonderful for women...
I just picked up the 2 that Steely recommended... Toni Morrison and Wally Lamb, I am so excited to read them!

F

flutterbee

I just finished Run by Ann Patchett. Very moving story that has you caught from the first page.

muttmeister

I've been reading the Lincoln Rhyme mysteries by Jeffery Deaver and the Goldie the Caterer mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson. Also the Dirk Pitt novels about NUMA by Clive Cussler. Pretty much all mindless twaddle but it's still better than TV. I did read The Brothers KAramazoff a couple of weeks ago so I guess my brain won't completely atrophy.

I am reading Why we are Liberals. I also read three newspapers a day, magazines. I have always been an avid reader. Lately, I have been reading a lot of messages on these boards. :) Compassion

DDD, I also like reading about predidents. The book by Clinton was interesting.I usually prefer nonfiction.
I have stacks of bipolar teen books that I have read multiple times but I am taking a break from that.

This time of the year, there are a lot of best of the previous year, etc. I enjoy those.
Compassion

goldenguru

I just finished "The Shack". It was not very good in my humble opinion.

I also just finished "Five Chimneys" about the Jewish Holocaust - one woman's memoir. Very, very good.

I recently completed "The Nanny Diaries" and "The Bonesetter's Daughter" - also recommend these.

I am hoping Santa brings me "Dewie" - a true life story about a kitten adopted by a city library.

Lothlorien

Just picked up "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink. Will likely start it over the weekend. I'm listening to the Narnia series, right now.

I

Ilovemyson

Now that the semester is over, I have time to read. I have read all four books in the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, and read the part that was leaked for the 5th book to go with the series. That one has been put on an indefinate hold due to the leak.

I am getting the Last Lecture and The Christmas Sweater for Christmas. My mom sent gift cards for Christmas so I ordered books.

KTMom91

I'm currently reading It's So Much Work To Be Your Friend by Rick Lavoie. It discusses strategies for our difficult children to make and keep friends. I've heard him speak several times.

For fun, I'm re-reading Parting Gifts by Charlotte Vale Allen. I love her books. I found another one of hers, called Pieces of Dreams, at Goodwill. Haven't read that one yet.

A friend just gave me a huge plastic bin full of books, and I haven't even started going through it, because I know I'll just sit and read all day long.

I just finished The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan - an awesome book by a young mother who is a Cancer survivor and The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life (a biography of Warren Buffett) . Trust me , this guy is definitely on the quirky end of the spectrum...

Right now The Hemmings of Monticello is on my nightstand. I must confess, I have a little obsession with Thomas Jefferson. What a enthralling and contradictory character he was.

Lothlorien

I don't doubt, for one minute that Buffet is on the quirky side. I think it's a given with that much brilliance.

I like to go to the book sales they have at the library. They have them about twice a year. I got my dad a slew of books for about 6 bucks. Some were hardcover and some were paperback.

DDD

I have writers cramp :D noting all the suggestions. Every time this thread is run by someone...great ideas flow.

My husband is a wonderful man who drives me NUTS when it comes to books. He loves to buy NEW books (those Buffett books are perfect examples) in lieu of waiting a couple of days to get them through the library. Since we no longer have walls of bookshelves for home storage..they go to the library's book store after one read or two. What a waste of bucks!! :( Not only do I take the new books to donate :redface: I end up buying bags of books to take back home. What a crazy cycle..lol.

Thanks. DDD

KTMom91

DDD, there's nothing wrong with that! I have all available bookcases full to bursting, and piles here and there...and I still go to Goodwill or Salvation Army, and come home with books! Don't even take me near Borders or Barnes and Noble...even blindfolded, I can sense one is close by.

I keep telling Hubby there are worse habits I could have than being a book junkie.

DDD

Heather, you were absolutely right about Run. It was really a nice read and I did go from page 1 to the end of the book with only a short break.

That was the smallest of the books so I started there.

"My name is DDD and I am a binge reader."

I have six to go before the holiday is over, lol. DDD:D

F

flutterbee

DDD, there is a social group on this board about books, too. Although, these threads are still great.

If you don't know how to find them, just click on Social Groups at the top of the page and you'll see it there.

I'm glad you enjoyed Run. It was different, but I really liked the theme.

I've just started In The Woods by Tana French. I haven't gotten very far because I keep getting interrupted, but it looks like it's going to be really good. It's a suspense/mystery novel - which I don't normally go for, but I was drawn to this one - probably because the setting is Ireland. It's an Edgar Award Winner, so it should be good.

DDD

My Goodness Gracious! The "social groups" went right by me. Thanks for sharing and I will check it out. DDD