What are you reading?

HMBgal

Far From the Tree, about raising children with impairments, challenges, differences, indeed anything that makes the seem as if they fell far from the family tree. It's riveting. And in between, I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's book Flight Behavior. They are both fantastic and I'm reading instead of sleeping.

Mattsmom277

I have been reading up a storm. Canadian winter setting in means even more time indoors, which for me means much more book time. I've read many good books lately. The one that I can't get out of my mind, that is the best read I've had in years (which given how much I read, says a lot) was Shantaram. The author has a crazy history and the book, although fiction, is actually quite based on his own experiences. It is so vividly and beautifully written. I cannot recommend it enough. I put it down a couple of days simply because I was nearly finished and I couldn't bear for it to be done. I'm anxious for the second book (he means to write a trilogy). It has been delayed several times, but I'm hopeful it will be out in 2013. Johnny Depp is to play the character in a movie adaption. If you're at all interested, you can google the book and find the website for it which will peak much interest in the authors history in real life, and the book. It has a huge following.

katya02

Solace
Rereading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Flight Behavior is on my Christmas wish list!

Also 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond.

trinityroyal

Currently reading a biography of C. S. Lewis. Next in the pile are: an Archie Comics compendium from the 1940s and 1950s, then a re-read of a few Hardy Boys.

greenrene

I LOVED Animal, Vegetable, Miracle!!!!! Makes me want to move onto a homestead with orchards, gardens, and chickens.

Right now I'm reading The Primal Feast. On deck is Women Who Run With the Wolves.

muttmeister

Slowly working through Team of Rivals ny Doris Kearns Goodwin - the movie Lincoln is based on part of it. Our bookclub read it as a selection but most of us haven't finished it yet but we have plans to see the movie together. We meet again Thursday and for that I just finished The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. It was OK. Also just read 3 P.D. James novels. Since all of the upheaval in my life lately I haven't had time to read as much as usual but hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

DammitJanet

Not reading anything right now because I am waiting to load my eReader again but my all time favorite books are How to be a Good Bad Girl and *Fear of Flying.

witzend

I picked up "Notorious Nineteen", Janet Evanovich' latest. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. Maybe after my choir rehearsals are over for the season.

InsaneCdn

My current stack of reading is... all about difficult child. I think I have six or so waiting... and two underway. Not all heavy tomes... biographies, that kind of thing.

B

Bunny

On deck, "Winter of the World" ~ Ken Follet

I LOVED that book!! I can't wait for the 3rd book in the trilogy to come out.

I am reading the 50 Shades of Gray series and The Lady Of The Rivers by Phillipa Gregory

Star*

call 911........call 911
The title was "catchy" ----- Just looked like a great book about fixing your own depression or something. lol gotta lot of ten dollar words and pithy humor about as dry as a popcorn poot.
Since I'm a kinesthetic and visual combo learner.....I don't think this is going to be "hands on" type of manual.

TerryJ2

Just starting DARKNESS VISIBLE, William Styron

In the last 4 mos, I read:

SAVING FISH FROM DROWNING, Amy Tan
INFIDEL, Ayaan Hirsi Ali
PEACHES FOR FATHER FRANCIS, Joanne Harris
100 VOICES, Scott McConnell
DEATH ARTIST, Jonathan Santilofer
THE ANTI-ROMANTIC CHILD, Priscilla Gilman
TOO LOUD TOO BRIGHT TOO FAST TOO TIGHT, Sharon Heller, PhD

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Just finished re-reading "The Hobbit," in anticipation of the movie coming out. Can't wait!

Next novel up is: "Kafka on the Shore," by Haruki Murakami. Concurrently reading "How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life" by the Dalai Lama, in sections here and there. Trying to shift the focus in my life lately.