What books are your reading

Wiped Out

Staff member
As summer approaches I'm getting excited to begin reading a lot of books. During the school year I don't get to read nearly as much as I like. Looking for some good ideas so I'm wondering what you are reading these days.

I just read a really sad book called Life's That Way by Jim Beaver. It's a true story and chronicles a man's e-mails to family and friends during his wife's battle with cancer. Warning: Only read with a box of tissues in hand!

smallworld

I'm reading Jodi Picoult's new book House Rules about a teenager with Asperger's. Like her other books, it's a real page-turner.

trinityroyal

Several weeks ago I ordered a crate of inventory-clearance-sale books from a website I frequent (Dollar store prices. Even with shipping, it was an incredible bargain). Mainly current affairs and politics, and I've been working my way through the stack at a pretty good clip.

I don't want to cross the line into a political discussion, so I won't mention titles or authors.

Trinity

KTMom91

I'm re-reading Beverly Cleary's autobiographies; "A Girl From Yamhill" and "On My Own Two Feet." I've loved her books forever...Ramona the Pest, Ellen Tebbits, Emily's Runaway Imagination, Mitch and Amy...

muttmeister

I haven't been reading as much as usual but I did finally wade through Ulysses by James Joyce. I feel like I could read it a few dozen more times and still miss some things. Our book club just read Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler and this month we are doing First Family by David Baldacci. Last week I finished Herzog by Saul Bellow and I am waiting impatiently to get one I ordered, A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters. It is the latest Amelia Peabody book and I love them. Also, I'm anxious to read the latest Janet Evanovich/ Stephanie Plum book. It should be good for a laugh. Also on my readig list for the summer are the last three Rita Mae Brown books (Santa Clawed, The Purrfect Murder, and Cat of the Century).

LittleDudesMom

I'm reading a few - The Other West Moore: One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore, Flow, The Cultural Story of Menstruation by Elissa Stein and Susan Kim (a fabulously funny book about the history of periods and all related to periods!), and finally, The G.I. Diet.

Sharon

Tiapet

Old Hand
These are all the books I have read in the past, about, 2 months or so: The Child Called It as well as the 2 books that follow it called The Lost Boy and a Man Called Dave (Chronicles "Dave's" VERY graphic account of abuse growing up-not for the weak in stomach), Ghost Girl, Push, Saving Cee Cee Honey Cutt, Not Without My Sister, Cut, Damaged, Chelsea Handler's Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea. I'm in the process of reading "Oprah" by Kitty Kelly now as well as partially into Return of the Nanny (from Nanny Diaries) and I have Chelsea Handler's Bang Bang and a stack of about 6 or so other books sitting here if anyone wants to know those titles I'll post. I have several others in waiting too. My Genre tends to be Autobiographical and things to do with with mental health or foster kids/abuse (hense all titles up until Chelsea Handler's book). Nanny book was just out of curiousity to see where it went but I've just left that go a bit because it's not holding interest. Yes, I'm a prolific reader when I get into it. LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow and here I was jumping back into the world of Xanth (Piers Anthony)... And a bunch of murder mysteries. JD Robb, Jonathan Kellerman, Mary Higgins Clark so far. Along with a lot of online stuff about EMDR. And of course my daily news fix.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I am re-reading Travels, which is a sort of memoir by Michael Crichton. This is like the 4th time I've read it, I pick it up every few years. I highly recommend it; it's not your typical autobiography.

I've also just started We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication, by Judith Warner. The book was discussed here awhile back, and I just finally bought it. The author started out wanting to write a book about how over-medicated and over-diagnosed today's children are (from a mental health perspective), and ended up discovering she was wrong, after interviewing parents and practitioners.

I've picked up a few novels too, but haven't gotten to them yet!

witzend

I am waiting for some sunshine (the second wettest May on record and for Portland that's saying A LOT!) to pick up "The Black Cat - A Richard Jury Mystery" by Martha Grimes. She's one of my favorites. It seems as though I just finished "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton, but it was a few months ago. It was excellent.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Am reading a military history SciFi novel, can't decide what I'm going to read next from all the books on my Kindle, LoL. I have about 250 books on my list to read. Am not downloading anymore books until I get the Kindle stuff slimmed down a bit.

Add in my news papers and horse racing stuff and I'm about covered for reading for a bit.

Mattsmom277

Gosh, so glad to see this thread. Been looking like mad for new titles and ideas for my ereader. S/O bought me the Sony Reader touch edition for mothers day and I've been absolutely glued to it. The list of things I've read since has grown and grown, too many to list. Now I have more ideas of what to add to my collection. :) THanks!

PS. If anyone has any links to free online ebooks, would you mind pm'ing me? I do use some usenet groups to look, seeing as I'm in Canada and copyright issues are not the issue here that they are in most countries. I do try to find open source ebooks for free though, to show respect for the author as much as possible.

Mom2oddson

I always have several going at once.

Just finished Cursedand Wrecked by Carol Higgins Clark. And Mary Higgins Clarks newest book. Been reading her since her first book came out many years ago. Now I'm starting on one by Lynn Kurland. (These are my for fun books)

My not so fun books are Potatoes not prozac which is about sugar sensativity. And The Core Balance Diet which was recommended by the Women to Women website.

N

Nomad

Who can fill me in on "Oprah" by Kitty Kelly ?

by the way, these book selections ALL sound great! I read a Kitty Kelly book years ago and kinda liked it. Really curious about this latest one....but this summer is a little nutso time wise.

So, what's the scoop???

Many thanks! :D

witzend

PS. If anyone has any links to free online ebooks, would you mind pm'ing me? I do use some usenet groups to look, seeing as I'm in Canada and copyright issues are not the issue here that they are in most countries. I do try to find open source ebooks for free though, to show respect for the author as much as possible.

husband has been reading (amongst other things) "Dracula" on his SonyReader. He got it on the Gutenberg.org. We've been having some great discussions about it.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Nomad I will pm you as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else who is or may want to read it. I'm on chapter 14, which is halfway through the book. I am not reading it steadily however at the moment.

N

Nomad

I pm'd you...but I'm looking for major revelations...stuff about her childhood, relationships, etc. Good idea about not spoiling it for folks. Looking forward to hearing more...perhaps in a pm if you think it best. Many thanks.