What chores do you hate the most?

trinityroyal

Folding fitted sheets is a PITA, but being obsessive about such things, I've come up with a way that works pretty well and consistently.

Fold the sheet in half and line up all of the corner pockets. Tuck the corners in so that the elastic edge forms a sort of pocket. With the centre fold facing you, and the elastic pocket at the top, fold the sides in until they align with the edges of the corners. Then just fold the whole works in thirds horizontally and vertically. You'll end up with a fitted sheet folded the same size as your flat sheet with all the bulky corner bits hidden in the middle.

I know this explanation doesn't make any sense when it's written down. You have to see it to make sense of it.

H

HaoZi

The only iron in my household is in the vitamins. If it's not wash and wear I'm not buying!

buddy

I have to ask what happens to your tubs that they need scrubbing so hard? I spray some kind of disinfectant cleaner, let it sit then use a scrubby sponge to wipe it out, no rings no stains, even after the dog if I rinse it right away then spray /clean I don't scrub. Takes a couple of minutes at most. Is it different water or.kind of.tub? I change shower liner but not.curtain. Even the curtain only once.a.year.or.so.....or if I see mildew, i cant stomach that. Does that make.me.a.slob? I swear i spray it and.its not.dirty.

My mom's tub is stained on the bottom but we scrubbed, it's clean....just the water stained it before she even moved in.

JKF

buddy - with our tub it's not so much that it needs serious scrubbing bc its dirty - it's more that it's a weird shape bc it's one of those jet tubs. It's wide so I have to lay my whole body across it to get to the far side. The jets get hair and stuff in them so that's gross to clean even though its mostly MY hair. I use that daily shower spray too and it works but we have hard water so you can definitely see a build up if not scrubbed down weekly. As for the shower curtain I have a fabric one on the outside with a liner inside. I wash the curtain and change the liner every couple of months.

DDD

Oh my goodness........folding fitted sheets videos were great. The first one made it look like a piece of cake but I was laughing at the thought that Martha S couldn't do it any better than I. That second video was a hoot. by the way, I think Martha needs a video on how to buy a bra that fits. LOL DDD

witzend

It's the nit-picky stuff. Grout, like Marcie. Dirty windowsills and shades. Fan blades. Crud in the corners.

But if you want to make me gag, make me touch a wad of wet hair/fur. Can't stand it.

InsaneCdn

UAN - using COMET to clean a tub? that stuff is... downright dangerous. As in, it destroys the finish of the tub, making it very hard to clean. I'm not the biggest fan of tub-cleaning either, but I've never had to use anything stronger than one of or a combination of the following:
1) baking soda
2) liquid gentle cleaners (such as Mr. Clean)
3) ivory bar soap on a body-scrub-puff

DammitJanet

They make a tub scrubber that is made so you dont have to bend over which is especially nice if you have a corner tub which I do and heaven knows I cant get down on my knees. My tub is a pita because my little dog likes to get in it and lick the faucet because I have a slow drip and he drinks from there so I constantly have dirty paw prints and fur.

I used to have that long tub scrubber but have no idea where it went. It used pads something like swiffer pads. Now I just spray Scrubbing Bubbles in it and use a toilet brush to swish the stuff around. I fill the tub about a quarter of the way up with hot water and let it sit about half an hour then drain. Now I have a shower that doesnt work because the drain is clogged and they didnt put a clean out drain on that drain. How stupid! You cant even snake it because it has a metal grate built into the floor. That shower is just awful because the water got awful with soap scum before I forced people to stop using it and now the dust has just settled in there and coated everything and stuck to all the soap scum. I cant run water in there to attempt to clean it because water wont drain. I am trying to get Tony to go in and cut the pipe and put a clean out tap on the pipe so we can clean it from under the house.

witzend

You can't pop the drain cover out of the floor with a screwdriver? Usually there is a small flat part on the edge that you can lift from.

I want to know about the tub scrubber that you don't have to bend over with.

InsaneCdn

Janet - if you don't mind peeling the chrome off the floor grate - or, if you use a plastic funnel that fits into the holes - you can try muraic acid (I think that's how it is spelled). Seems to work on the toughest gunk - but doesn't eat plastic.

buddy

Oh, I see. I'm confused by the water here and that's really behind my question, wondering if I'm going to have a problem. I have a water softener but there is some kind of issue downstairs where a drain is. I put it on bipass but now wonder if hard water will be a problem. Yet, the city water around the cities doesn't seem especially hard so not really noticing a difference. I've only had standard tub/shower combos though so the bending/reaching is minimal.

OMG Last time we had this discussion I actually bought the scrubbing tool with the handle. I forgot I have it! I also forgot I bought Fabuloso specifically for this job. This morning before work I scrubbed for 10 minutes. I'm not done, I have to do it again, but the job was so much easier.

DammitJanet

That was trinity but the one I bought was by the people who make one of those mops with the slip on paperish scrubby pads. Looked very similar though. Looks like the one trinity posted had a sponge you could just wash which would be handier. I really liked the one with the pads though...may have been clorox? The pads had the cleanser in them and you just had to sort of add a bit of water to the tub to make it a little wet and then swish this thing around to get it very clean.

Now I will say that when I am in the tub I always use my scrubby thing I use on myself to swipe out the tub before I get out as the tub is draining. That certainly doesnt mean it shouldnt be cleaned completely every so often and like I said my dog makes a mess in there so I have to wash it out before I get in but I dont have a ton of soap scum. I also dont use actual soap in my tub, I use body wash and shampoo. I have more problems with the toilets. Lord those are hard to keep clean!

I found one of the products that has a black cap on its spout. Dont ask me the brand. The black spout does the best work at getting the really bad stains out but my toilets are bad and really need replacing. In order to get completely white I would have to take a pumice stone to them and I am not doing that. I have tried that Kaboom stuff that is supposed to foam up and turn colors when done...blah. But I really need new toilets because the innards have broken and you have to reach inside to flush. Time for new ones. I need a big one that is handicapped size in my bathroom and we can put the plastic handicapped one I got from rehab in the other bathroom. Right now that one is in my bathroom but if I get a good tall heavy duty one in my bathroom we can just leave the emergency seat in the other bathroom. It is so much harder to clean a toilet with that sucker on it...lol. Though...that would solve the seat up/seat down issue in the other bathroom. Seat is always down...lmao.

H

HaoZi

Any advice on getting the black gunky mold looking stuff out of the corners of showers? Even bleach doesn't get it.