What did I do wrong..........

Well maybe this is just a vent. But I was kinda aggravated at my daughter and hubby. My easy child son and I watched her dogs - 2 springer spaniels - Saturday night and Sunday morning for them to go to Atlanta. OK - I had surgery on my knee Thursday - so I was kinda crippled but my son went and let the dogs out before he went to work and I hobbled over there about 9:30 at night and let them out again. So today (Sun.) my son went over there this morning before he went to work and let them out again and got me some more bandaids for my knee. Anyway, when my daughter got home - she called and said - "Who was the last person that came into our house and let the dogs out - I told her my son (her brother) was - well she said he left the sliding glass door wide open - and then she said every light in the house was on (or her hubby said) - so I immediately took offense and told her then she needed to get the pet sitter to come back because obviously wwe were not doing good enough - this is the son in law that didnt want her easy child brother to be in their wedding - he has done nothing but be nice to him - so I had a fit - it just rubbed me the wrong way I guess because of the trouble we had gone through - or I had gone through - to get over there. Maybe I was making more of it than should have been but if it is not one thing critizing him it is another - it is either he needs to exercise more - eat less - or something - I am tired of it. We look after her dogs every time they go somewhere - she also looks after ours - but I have never said to her anything criticizing. So what did I do wrong-

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm with Suz. Decline the next request to dog sit.

Honestly, since you'd just had surgery, they really shouldn't have asked you in the first place. Very inconsiderate of them.

You didn't do anythiing wrong. I'd have probably said something similar myself.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
They are TOTALLY out of line. they asked you so they could save on the cost of a dog sitter. A few lights left on surely is cheaper than a dog sitter or a kennel. As for the door, that would irk me.

It sounds like she and her husband are ungrateful to say the least. Inconsiderate is mild for asking you to go take care of the dogs right after surgery! Talk about nerve - she has a BUNCH.

I hope things calm down and she apologizes to you.

Thanks and she did apologize. Actually I know it was probably him more than her but whatever - I will decline the next sit because obviiously she needs someone that is more considerate than us! Amazing.

donna723

Susan, I don't think you did anything wrong either! Considering that you just had surgery a few days ago, they shouldn't have even asked you to to it! They sound pretty ungrateful to me, but I'm glad she did apologize anyway.

She should just thank her lucky stars that she had someone to take care of them for her. I just had to pay to board my three dogs for several days when I went out of town and believe me, it is NOT cheap!

Thanks all. I feel better! You know this is a good place to express our pain and frustrations! I am just glad we are all here to hear each others "situations"!

TerryJ2

I'm glad she apologized. She'll apologize again after you decline the next invitation to dog sit. Then she'll get angry. Just expect it to happen. She'll get over it.
Hugs.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Susan--

It sounds as though both familes had a good thing going....a mutual agreement to watch each other's dogs when needed. Though emotions are high right now....perhaps it would be a good thing to let this incident pass as water under the bridge?

If I had returned home from somewhere and discovered a door to my home had been left, not just unlocked, but wide open--I would probably be upset, too! And I probably would say something to whomever had left that door open...and I might say it in a way that I would later regret.

Hopefully--both families can get past this incident.

Just to share a story....I once hired a sitter to watch my kids for a very long day. And she was wonderful! But...

She decided to clean the kitchen for me while I was away. Wonderful! BUT she made the mistake of asking difficult child where the cleaning rags were. difficult child brought the sitter my bedsheets--and the sitter cut them into pieces to wipe up the kitchen floor!

So when I came home--I was thrilled to see a sparkling kitchen....but then when I saw my sheets in tatters in a bucket of bleach I was really upset! I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad....but geesh!! My good sheets? Really? When I have a whole bucket of cleaning rags readily available?

Of course, I later apologized for being upset....and I still feel bad about the incident. But I would hire that woman again in a heartbeat.

--DaisyF

maril

I agree that you did nothing wrong.

How is that knee doing? Do you have a long recovery period?

I understand it is irritating that your son-in-law is critical of your son. How does your son handle it? Years ago, when husband and I were newlyweds, my brother-in-law hounded me mercilessly and would try to embarrass me at family functions, just for the heck of it (he was the king of one-upmanship, lol). Anyway, I can relate. :faint:

My knee is doing better! I think I will go to the gym pool and walk around it! I am not a stationary person so this slow going is driving me crazy. My son handles his brother in law very well. My son is very easy going and doesnt take things personal. However the brother in law is a me first kinda guy and he always needs to look like he stepped out of GQ magazine. He is short and has short mans syndrome I believe. If my daughter can put up with him - more power to her. She is not at all like that either. She is very generous and normally not critical. Anyway, we have let it go under the bridge. My son did come back with something when son in law said to him isnt it about time to get your mop cut - my son said well that would make my hair look like yours! - sister in law hair is spiked up and short - sister in law then said you can make fun of my hair all you want but it got your sister!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost threw up. My daugher broke up with him about a year before they got engaged and I thought he was going to die!

DammitJanet

All I can advise from the mother in law standpoint is get over it. You are in a completely no win position. It matters not what happens or what the subject is, you just have to bite your tongue.

I just bit mine and agreed to go up for a week to help out after the new baby is born. Not something I wanted to do but I feel I have to do it. Her mom is dead so Im the only one left. I have never been able to last much longer than a week up there so Im praying I can hang on to my sanity...lol.