What do i do?

scoot

Should I send my son back to public school this year,and risk his behavior again at school?I am so afraid of what the consequences might be this time around.Or home school him again,his behavior is almost the same here if he sets out not wanting to do it.He wants to go back to school,I need to work,but will home school him if needed.Some say maybe the consequences will be good for him,because he thinks nothing will happen.What do I do,PTI said everything will be ok but she also said the school can send him away,to a place where he has to learn...she didn't elaborate. I need to know what to do at this point.Can anyone help me?

BusynMember

Hon, you need a student advocate. This is how you get one. It's free and available to all, but schools don't tell you about them because they don't like them. They help people like you and your son.

Call the Arkansas Dept. of Public Education. Usually it is located in the capital city. When somebody answers or you get automated voice, connect with Special Needs or Special Education. Leave a message if nobody is there. When you talk to the callback person, tell that person your entire story. They may offer to help you with your school district. Also, whether or not they offer you help, ask who the student advocate in your location is and contact her/him. This is a Godsend for parents who live in school districts that don't help our special needs students. Never go to any meeting without your advocate. You will notice a big difference in how you are treated when you have an advocate at your side. They KNOW your state laws and the school district can not give them a load of crapola and can even take them to court, which scares them. Your son should get services and you should be treated much better when you have your advocate with you.

Do it!

Good luck!

scoot

I went that route once,but did not get anywhere.I used a PTI,but when they saw her with me,I ended up in Tears,PTI didn't do anything,ended up leaving meeting.Contacted a different PTI,but she seems to think I'm over reacting.I was told that if my son does go to the transition IEP meeting,to not let them focus on my sons negative behaviors.,the Pti,told me that's what they will focus on because well his behavior is negative.She also said they can put him away..She asked for me to send her the latest copies of his IEP,now she is saying it doesn't make a difference.PTI's r all I know,that come in with-parents here.

scoot

My son has medicare,the developmental center is supposed to get back with-me this week.I will call his counselor and tell her,what has occurred recently.But you guys seem to think,he doesn't fall under anything....or was it Autism?? Did u think any signs of ODD?I want to run those by her,to discuss,sence,I don't know what exactly is going on with-him

InsaneCdn

Around here... most of us don't put much stock in an ODD diagnosis... it doesn't give you anything, other than confirmation that it isn't all in your head.

It could be any number of things. That's why a comprehensive evaluation is called for.
My personal opinion is that he does sound a bit spectrumish (Aspie/Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)), but there may be more going on... minor brain injury during that difficult birth is a possibility, some insecure attachment from his early medical problems may be a factor, the MI issues that run on his dad's side of the family may be part of the picture...

InsaneCdn

That's part of why you need to get lining up an advocate.
They know the system inside and out... know what to ask for, and how, to get results in the school system.

BusynMember

What is a PTI? Is this a parent/teacher liaison. Forget it. Find out who the parent/student ADVOCATE is. You want somebody who is on your son's side, not somebody trying to do mediation with an unwilling school district. Sounds like the PTI may be related to the school district and you need to get somebody outside of the school district. Every district has a PARENT advoccte who is NOT connected to any school district and just wants to help.

scoot

No true advocates here,the rights center suggested pti,every one does that I talk to,if there are any,usually they aren't free and you have to pay a lot to have them come out for meetings....I can't afford one but don't even know where to begin to look.Everyone uses the Pti for their county.Parent Training .....forgot what the I stood for.