What do you appreciate about where you live?

DammitJanet

Star...yep...we live close. I was reaching to find something. Really reaching. Okay, that is what I like about where I live. I live close to some of my board member friends.

InsaneCdn

If we hadn't moved years back? I'd probably be in the same boat as Star.
Yes, there are places that just are not right for "me".
The place we used to live? Lots of people love it, but it wasn't right for our family at that point in time, and the mismatch was so great that NOTHING was appealing at that point.

(now... we like to go back for the shopping, but even then... a couple days is enough)

everywoman

I live in a small, historical coastal town surrounded by water. I'm ten minutes from the beach in one direction and 5 minutes from the river in the other. Fresh local seafood is abundant. I love that I know almost everyone and that there is a connection to people from all walks of life. I love the history of my town. Nothing walking among ruins of Revolutionary and Civil War battles. I love that we have hot summers and mild winters. I love that I am now teaching the children of former students. I love that my former students are the doctors., nurses, policemen, attorneys, bakers, bankers, hairdressers in my town.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
When I first moved here after growing up in the Difficult Child area, it was quite a culture shock. I grew to love it pretty quickly, though. Especially:

The ocean, the mountains, and Difficult Child are all within a 1 to 2 hour drive.
Benefits of a larger city (culture, diversity, etc.) without the traffic or expense.
15-20 minute commute to work
Fantastic restaurants
Vibrant art community
Great music scene
Great support for local businesses
High availability of fresh locally-grown food, farmers markets everywhere
Festivals! (food, music, art, culture, outdoor adventure). Most have no entrance fees. Seems like there's a festival of some kind every other week here. This is one festival-happy city.
A river running through the city with a great park system featuring hiking/biking trails, etc.
History everywhere you look, beautiful architecture

janie

New Zealand
Hi Malika,

Yes, I hope Star wins Lotto too .... she would be one of the most DESERVING people I know - and she would share it and make a difference to so many lives ... :)

It is great to read about how other Board members feel about where they live - I am enjoying the descriptions :)

I am very happy where I live - which is Hastings, a small town in the Hawkes Bay of New Zealand ... full of beautiful old parks, incredible geography, and natural beauty ... also a gentle pace of life.

I work In Napier (a 20 minute car ride, via an expressway through farm land away) .... and it is wonderful too. Most of the buildings are Art Deco (due to being built straight after a massive earthquake flattened the City 82 years ago).
I am lucky enough to work in the famous Dome Building - opposite the waterfront (I work at Starbucks).

Hawkes Bay has so many interesting places to explore - if you have watched any of the Lord of the Rings movies you will understand exactly the beauty of this land :)

Sadly, my husband was made redundant from his job about 6 weeks ago - however, he has just found work - fortunately for a great company ... but it is in Auckland - which is NZs biggest city. Auckland has some great things about it - but it is a big city as opposed to this lovely small town that we enjoy. I guess you will all chuckle at the description "big" ... as it is TINY compared to big cities in places like America :)

I do feel very blessed to be able to live in New Zealand.

DammitJanet

Such a change for you huh Witz...lol! maybe I should admit that I do LOVE my state, just not my little town. The states of NC and VA are two very pretty states with gorgeous mountains and beaches.

FlowerGarden

I enjoy watching all the wildlife. The feeling of being secluded but the major highways are actually only a couple of minutes away. The friendliness of the town, small and a great place to raise a family.