What do you do...

flutterby

Fly away!
...when a kid (not mine or difficult child 2) is expelled from school?

Do you have to enroll them in an alternative school or what? I have no idea how this works and was just curious.

dadside

The answer depends in part on the age of the student, the state you live in, and whether or not the student had an IEP. If the student was on an IEP, the school district has to provide an alternate school/education. If not on an IEP and over a certain age (varies by state), you don't have to do anything. I'm not sure about younger kids not on an IEP, but suspect parents may have to assume obligation for education, at least for a time. Fortunately, I've never had to face the issue.

DammitJanet

I suppose I should have been required to have Cory educated somewhere when he was indefinitely suspended at 15 but I was just tired. The school said they were going to send homebound but they never did and I just ignored it. They said they would not turn me in for truancy if I would not report them...wink wink. I agreed. We just walked away. I waved the white flag.

JJJ

In our state, an expulsion can last from 11 days up to 2 years. It appears if your child is a Special Education student, the school must continue to provide educational services. Some districts offer alternate schools even to reg ed students. Otherwise it looks like you just wait it out.

flutterby

Fly away!
I may be completely wrong because, fortunately, I've never had to deal with it, but I was under the impression here that expulsion means you can't go back. Ever. Maybe it's for a certain time frame...that never occurred to me. But, in the meantime, the child has to be educated. I just wondered what the SD's responsibility is (or isn't) in finding an alternative education even if the child is not on an IEP.

Does FAPE only apply to sped students? Maybe I should post on the sped forum, but this isn't a sped kid.

klmno

Here, expulsion means the kid is out of public school for 1 year. The parent has to find and pay for alternative education, unless you can get them to agree not to come after you if you decide to just let the kid miss a year of school, which of course is bad because it makes it harder to get the kid back into it. Then, after the year, I think the parent has to petition the public school to get the kid back in. I think I even have to meet with the public school and get permission for difficult child to be "let back in" after he's released from incarceration- he didn't leave on a bad note though, so this should turn out ok for him.

SRL

I may be completely wrong because, fortunately, I've never had to deal with it, but I was under the impression here that expulsion means you can't go back. Ever. Maybe it's for a certain time frame...that never occurred to me. But, in the meantime, the child has to be educated. I just wondered what the SD's responsibility is (or isn't) in finding an alternative education even if the child is not on an IEP.

We've had districts in my region expell kids for serious offenses (weapons) but turn around and provide alternatives such as homebound instruction at a neutral location.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't know what the child did. The child has been suspended a couple of times this year already and the school held off on suspending for a long time because of issues within the family. I think the child was written up 20+ times before being suspended and was suspended for good cause. The mom isn't ready to talk about it; just said what the child did was "horrific".

After talking to the mom, it sounds like the expulsion is a time frame of 30, 60, 90 days or more and it may carry into the next school year. The child will be required, however, to attend school in June and July. The principal said that generally they let the child return the following school year as a fresh start and use the remaining expulsion period as a probationary period, if that makes any sense. IOW, the child would start school in the fall on the first day even if the expulsion ran into the next school year, but the remaining expulsion time frame would be considered a probationary period. I assume, then, that one strike and the child would be out again.

The principal also said that because of the child's grades thus far, and ability, the child will be promoted to the next grade. Mom isn't sure if she'll be required to provide education in the interim. The expulsion hearing is next week.

KTMom91

Our district has a "Community Day School" for elementary and junior high students that have been expelled, so they do continue going to school, just at a different location. Usually the kids are suspended for the remainder of the school year. Sometimes they return to their home schools, sometimes they go to another campus, or stay at the alternative school. The alternative high school used to accept junior high as well, and it's only half day. They're adding additional rooms to make a full day program, which makes more sense.

DammitJanet

Can I ask what in heavens name an elementary school kid can do to be expelled? I mean really...kids now go to middle school in 5th grade so we are talking about 4th grade and under! Oh thats right...they are gonna expel Shari's kid...at 7...idiots!

everywoman

In my district we have an Optional School for those students who get expelled who don't have an IEP. If they have an IEP then the student is placed on Homebased---similar to homebound but for behavioral not medical reasons.

flutterby

Fly away!
Janet - this same kid had an expulsion hearing when he was 6. Didn't we just talk about this the other night - suspending and expelling little kids? And I didn't even know about this situation yet.

Oh - he wasn't expelled when he was 6. He was, however, suspended for 10 days.

KTMom91

Elementary school here is K-6, junior high 7-8, high school 9-12. The little darlings that were suspended (classmates of Miss KT) were smoking pot behind the backstop. 5th graders. I don't remember seeing them back for 6th grade.

ShyChelle

I don't know for younger children but in my state if a child is expelled no other school will take him. It is policy. A parent either does nothing... or has to pay for private schooling or home school. My son was expelled and I tried to find an alternative school and they told me they aren't allowed to take a child who has been expelled. I hope it isn't that way too.