what do you parents know about "juggalos"?

ksm

difficult child is now "friends" with some classmates who claim to be juggalos. I have googled it... I get the idea of it... But how does one know if they are? or are pretending to be? Of course, a difficult child (at least mine is) drawn to what ever drama is out there. I don't think I can do this for two more years...

Plus difficult child is so ODD that no matter what I say she will take the opposite side. Yesterday, on the way to school, it was raining pretty hard. Instead of dropping her off where I usually do, I offered to drive thru the drop off circle in front of the school, where she could get under the covered roof within a few feet of the car. Nope. Now, if I didn't offer, she would have been upset that I made her walk a half a block in the rain!

And last night, when I was trying to talk to her about future education plans, I stated that I hoped she would go on to attend college. She immediately says "What do you have against people who don't go to college?" I said "nothing - I just hoped that you would have more options than I did". Then she says lots of good people don't have a college education and have to struggle to get by." And I said, "that's true but I really don't want that for your future". Then she practically yells at me that "I AM GOING TO COLLEGE!! Why do you think I can't do it?" You get the drift... You can't have a conversation with her. Yes, she is bright, but she is so impulsive that I am worried that stupid choices she makes now will severely limit her future life options.

Just no fun... KSM

Last edited:

DDD

Hmmmm....I've never heard that term. I'd guess it has to do with boobs or booze. Interesting. Hang in there she will be past this stage soon if all goes well. Hugs DDD

ksm

Here is a "definition" I found on line... a little long... but basically it is like a "gang" but they call themselves a family.

According to Utsler, "[Juggalos come] from all walks of life – from poverty, from rich, from all religions, all colors. [...] It doesn't matter if you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, or a crack rock in your mouth."[SUP][[/SUP]Juggalos have compared themselves to a family.
Common characteristics of identifying a member of the Juggalo subculture are as follows:

• Drinking and spraying the inexpensive soft drink Faygo.
  • Listening to Horrorcore.
  • Wearing face paint, generally like a clown.
  • Wearing HatchetGear.
  • The Running Hatchet man logo applied on personal effects and die cast worn in a necklace.
  • Doing hair in the spider legs style, i.e. like the Twiztid members
  • Displaying the gesture of wicked clown, the westside sign with the left hand and the C sign in ASL with the right, with arms crossed over.
  • Making and responding to "whoop, whoop" calls.
  • Expressing a (generally) tongue-in-cheek obsession with murder, committed with a blade weapon.

And those are the more polite stuff I could post... KSM

ksm

I guess the term started abnout 20 years ago for fans of Insane Clown Posse (a band) and then became like a cult trend... Basically it is an attitude of doing what you want, not caring what others think, and always standing up for your Juggalo family... so if one is in a fight, all the others will have their back. KSM

BusynMember

I just googled it up and wow. Doesn't sound too good.

I'm sorry you are having more trouble with your difficult child. This is a new term for me!!!!

Hugs!!!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My nephew is very much into Insane Clown Posse and Twizted. Tattoos, lip pierced, loves the whole scene.

That said, he's one of the nicest, most trustworthy people I know.

Hmm.

Californiablonde

I have never heard of a juggalo and I work at a high school. Clowns scare the living **** outta me so I hope I never come across any of them. How scary!

ksm

My nephew is very much into Insane Clown Posse and Twizted. Tattoos, lip pierced, loves the whole scene.That said, he's one of the nicest, most trustworthy people I know.Hmm.

I know it is all up to an individual... that not all people in a group are any where near alike. But difficult child's friend already has a criminal record and he is still in high school. Juggalos are not a well organized group with heirarchy... so there are a wide variety of people who claim to be a juggalo (at least from what I have read) And I bet many of the teens are just "wannabees". KSM

C

Confused

I agree with these definitions! I knew someone who claimed he was a Juggalo...painted his face like a clown type when he was sad and stuff. I am really unsure of his true lifestyle, but he did drink... I wish you luck and hopefully its only a phase!

IT1967

OMG! I've never heard of such a thing! What is wrong with-our world that there's a subculture like that out there? Makes me incredibly sad. I really hope it's just a phase your daughter is going through. My guess is the more you condemn the lifestyle, the more she'll dig in her heels. although it'll kill you, you should probably try hard to not be vocal about the craziness of this latest "group" she's found.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think ICP is weird, but then, I listened to Dangerous Toys as a teen... So. Clowns are nothing new. After "IT", I hate them anyway.

Also - any subculture can be twisted to good or bad. Not all hippies were potheads and promiscuous...

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Wow, learn something new every day. And here I thought you were just misspelling "gigolo." I was picturing David Lee Roth and Richard Gere.

Californiablonde

Lmao, CrazyinVA, that's what I was thinking too. It totally reminded me of gigolos. I hope I never do come across one of these juggalos. I hate clowns in general, and every year when I have to take the kids to Party City for halloween costumes, I dread it. They always have the most evil clown masks for sale there. One year easy child thought it would be funny to wear one of the masks in the store and try and scare me. I did not think it was funny at all. I yelled at him and made him take it off. Never has he tried to pull something like that again. My kids know how badly clowns terrify me!

DammitJanet

Now Annie...how do you know about all the hippies? You are way too young to even remember the free love, sex, drugs and rock n roll times!!! I vaguely remember them through a smokey haze...lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Janet... Remember I was born in the early 70s... I was a late-bloomer hippie in the 90s... And my favorite teacher was a SEVERE-CASE hippie!