WHat do you think of parents who don't immunize their kids?

Kathy813

Staff member
There is a link between Aspirin and Reye's but it is not the only cause. I found this on the National Reye's Syndrome website:

Epidemiological research has shown an association between the development of Reye's Syndrome and the use of aspirin (a salicylate compound) for treating the symptoms of influenza-like illnesses, chicken pox, colds, etc.

The U.S. Surgeon General, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing illnesses.

Acetylsalicylate is another word for aspirin; some medicine labels may use the words acetylsalicylate, acetylsalicylic acid, salicylic acid, or salicylate instead of the word aspirin. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication.

It is possible to develop Reye's Syndrome without taking aspirin. However, the chances of developing Reye's Syndrome can be reduced by not giving aspirin to individuals for relief of discomfort or fever without first consulting a physician for each specific use. Anti-nausea medications may also contain salicylates, and may mask the symptoms of Reye's Syndrome.

Also, it is not just aspirin. It is anything that contains salicylates which include prescriptions drugs and topical products including sunscreen, bug spray, facial cleansers and more. Here is a link in case you are interested:

http://www.reyessyndrome.org/literature.html

Sadly, to this day, we don't know what killed Donna Sue other than that it was a complication of chicken pox. The doctors at the time said is was chicken pox that ended up with encephalitis but that was before Reye's syndrome had been identified.

The point is that any viral infection can lead to deadly complications so if they can be avoided by getting a shot, I'm all for it. I get my flu shots regularly and will start the shingles vaccine when I am 60. My mother had shingles and it is a horribly painful condition.

flutterby

Fly away!
From your first link, they got measles abroad and none of the 7 had received the MMR vaccine.

In the first 2 months of 2011, CDC received reports of seven imported measles cases among returning U.S. travelers aged 6--23 months; four required hospitalization. Young children are at greater risk for severe measles, death, or sequelae such as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (1,2). Although all seven children had been eligible for vaccination before travel, none had received measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine, the only measles-containing vaccine currently available in the United States.
emphasis added

During 2001--2010, a total of 159 imported cases were reported in U.S. residents, including 47 (range: 3--8 per year) in children aged 6--23 months (three of whom had been vaccinated before travel).

159 cases in 9 years is much better than before vaccines were available, and of those 47 children who came down with only 3 were vaccinated. Plus, all of these cases are imported polio - they came from abroad. They were not contracted in the US.

Since measles was declared eliminated in the United States in 2000, elimination status has been maintained through high MMR vaccination coverage, and most measles cases have been associated with importation
emphasis added

In the case of the polio outbreak, those children had not been vaccinated either.

You just proved my point. Vaccines work.

TerryJ2

JoG, yes, starting way ahead of time is a good idea. Getting a real fever from the Yellow Fever vaccine is common, and you don't want to travel like that, just for one example.
Definitely, start a thread on your daughter's trip. Pros and cons. :)

Janet, sheesh, I can't believe the doctors wouldn't treat for the herpes rash. Weird. Sad.

Mamaof5, glad you mentioned that. One thing that has not been studied is the combination of immunizations and their impact on the typical immune system. Drug mftrs test one drug at a time, not bundled. I'm very strong on that position.

I didn't know that about Canada. And that the shots are a medical procedure. We have them at pharmacies and grocery stores here.

M

Mamaof5

I wasn't addressing vaccines working. I was addressing the fact that polio does still exist and so does measles. CDC says it's eradicated, it's not if it still exists. Like all procedures it doesn't work for everyone. I never said vaccines didn't work, I just question the actual efficacy that is claimed.

You can't say something doesn't exist when it does. That is not the dictionary definition of eradicated. Vaccines *may* be effective for some, may not for others (like myself). I said I was a non vaxer not an anti vaxer. There is truly a difference. anti vaxers are the hard core screamers of their side of the debate. A non vaxer isn't necessarily debating if vaccines are this or that. I question it because of my own personal experiences, not because of Jenny Mccarthy or Dr. Wakefield or other people anecdotes.

Here's one for you: Did you know it's law that the doctor the administration of the vaccine is suppose to give you the vaccine pamphlet (insert, ingredient list) before the vaccine. It's informed consent. Not an info sheet the actual insert to the vaccine. How often have you been given this insert (here in Canada it applies as law too)? Did you even know the doctor was suppose to? That it's your right to have that full ingredient list?

I've never once (pre non vax) gotten that ingredient list or insert from a doctor, not even a fact sheet. I call that the jab and go. Most times they didn't even let me stay the 20 minutes to wait for any reactions, they told me to just administer tylenol when I got home. Not even what to look for if there was a bad reaction.

I am NOT anti vax. I'm also not a test subject nor do I believe what businesses for profit say or the doctors say without researching it or my own personal experiences with it.

TerryJ2

Oh, getting back to the initial question, what do I think of parents who don't immunize their kids? I don't know any, personally. The parents I know either get the kids all the shots, or pick and choose, or eliminate just a couple.
So ... I am assuming that parents who don't immunize their kids have done a lot of research and have taken precautions.
I am appalled at the number of parents who don't even read the brochures. I guess I'd have to put both groups, both extremes, on the same list. ;)

flutterby

Fly away!
Yes, I know it's the law and we get the pamphlet with every vaccine. We also have to sign for consent.

Eradicated in the US means that cases are not originated here. However, if an unvaccinated person goes overseas where those diseases are still endemic, then they run the risk of catching them. They do have a gestation period and it may not show up until the infected person has returned home. Those people then run the risk of infecting children here who have not had the vaccine yet because of their age, because they can't have the vaccine because of health reasons, or because parents choose to not vaccinate. In addition, US doctors aren't used to seeing them anymore and it delays diagnosis, increasing the risk of complications.

Josie

I also think/hope parents who choose not to vaccinate have done the research and have good reasons not to.

My kids got all of their vaccines before I knew enough to question. If I were doing it now, I would pick and choose. I will not do the HPV vaccine because I think that is profit motivated and not public health motivated. Cervical cancer doesn't seem like a big risk in the US for women who get screened regularly. It is a new vaccine and vaccine makers are not even held liable for problems with vaccines. That bothers me.

In our family, we have seen too many things happen that contradict the mainstream medicine science for me to trust it completely. I am not sure if we are the exceptions, the science is evolving, the science is manipulated, or something else. I haven't really looked into the anti-vax science because it wouldn't matter to me now, since my kids are vaccinated.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My niece had both measles and mumps when she was 23. She has had all of her shots along the way. She contracted both when she got a booster before starting work as an ER nurse, and was quarantined for over a month...

The vaccine is live virus.

buddy

Cervical cancer doesn't seem like a big risk in the US for women who get screened regularly.

I am sure that is statistically true but once you have lived through it not working out.....My sweet cousin died only a few years ago, in her 30's, leaving two little boys behind. She got her pap screens yearly. When they showed some abnormal cells for three years, the health group she went to judged her to be too young and it not to be enough of a difference....and probably it was nothing. That's what we all want to hear, so she was happy and let it go (I want to think I woudl have asked for a biopsy anyway...I did for a breast lump in my 20's even though they said it was probably nothing...and it was) These folks now pay for her sons to go to college. IT was in all of her records. We are still reeling from that and all the teens are getting that vaccine. It may be an emotional reaction but it helped a couple of them cope better. Just a personal issue.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK, I've not had a bio child, but the vaccinations the kids have had in the last few years, since they've been living with us, and when I've taken them?

We get a pamphlet that includes all the legalese plus explanations in plain English, plus the NP sits down and explains it to us, asks if we have any questions, discusses possible side effects, what's normal, what's not, etc. It takes longer at the pediatrician's office, to get a flu shot, than it does when they are sick... Seriously. We're talking 90 min - 2 hours. The last 30 minutes is the vaccination itself. They even talk to the kids about it.

This is one reason I'll take any future children to this office. They spend TIME, and they genuinely care.

TerryJ2

Buddy, that's so sad. I would definitely insist on another opinion. Cells grow abnormally for a reason. I've known so many people who are alive today because they insisted on more tests and a second opinion, including my former dentist, a man, who had breast cancer. He knew his body. He was miffed that the doctors blew him off because he was "only" a dentist. He was right. And he's still alive.
That is heartbreaking about your cousin.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The pediatrician I took Wee to was the same way, step. Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of docs who do the stick and go.

TerryJ2

Just found a big story about thousands of California kids who are not immunized in a particular school district. Very interesting and potentially scary. When I first answered this thread, I was only thinking of myself and a few parents ... not on a major league level. Puts it in a different perspective.