What do you think?

I'm just interested in your thoughts on these stimulants for ADHD. What do you know about them? Specifically Adderall! Do you think they are dangerous?

Sara PA

Adderall is mixed amphetamine salts. "Speed" to those of us from the 60's. It and all the stims can be dangerous -- sudden death is a listed (though extremely rare) adverse reaction. Can't get much more adverse than that.

That said, millions of people take these drugs both with or without prescriptions and don't have any real problems. For many people (most?) the period when the drug wears off can be a bit rough. In the ADHD world it's called stimulant-rebound. It could be called daily withdrawal. Long term chronic (daily) use can cause depression. But there is no denying that the drugs can help a great deal with focus.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Keep in mind I'm not a doctor but....

My son has been on Adderall and Adderall XR for years. His psychiatrist thought we'd try taking him off of it a couple of years ago to see if maybe he'd "grown out of" his need for it. NOT a good thing. He bounced off the walls and couldn't focus for more than a minute at a time if he was lucky. He hasn't had any side affects from it at all. He's got an appetitie and is pretty lanky but then again so are all of his bio sibs. Bio mom is skinny too but I'm not sure if that's genetics or just her lifestyle. He's also now "zombified" either. In fact, when he was younger (11 ish), he would be on the correct dose but still have lots of energy. So much so that I would have him run a couple of laps around the back yard to burn some off. Overall, for my difficult child it's been a good medication for him. He's also on a mood stabalizer and some people don't do well with a ms and a stimulant but he's never had any real issues with it.

If you have concerns or questions, don't hesitate to talk to the doctor about it and do research on your own.

crazymama30

I think there are pros and cons for all medications, including adderall. For us it was a medication with way to many cons, but for others is a miracle drug. You have to weigh the pros and cons,and decide what is best for your family and child.

KTMom91

Miss KT is currently on Adderall. We've been through most of the ADHD medications, with mixed results. She's also on Risperdal. The combo seems to be be working well most of the time.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I think whatever it takes for your child to function at his/her highest level. I had to put it in perspective - if my child needed hearing aides I would do that; if she were diabetic I would administer the medications.

Medications for our children are always a very personal decision. Educate yourself. If you decide to use medications, keep a journal of how the medications are working (keeping in mind there will always be "off" days).

Good luck in your decision.

LittleDudesMom

Linda gives you very good advice. You have to weigh the pros and cons. If it will help your child to function and feel better it is worth a try.

Personally, my son has been on adderall xr for a number of years without problems. It was a great medication change for us. He has no rebound issues with it. It does lessen his appetite slightly, but it is worn off by after school so he makes up for the little lunch he eats!!!

Hope you are able to feel peace about your decision. It has been a life-altering medication for us. Please remember though, that all children are different. What works for one may not work for another. You may have to try a couple adhd medications before you find the right one. You also my have to try different levels (mgs) until it is an effective choice.

Sharon