What info to give at ER?

lovelyboy

We were at ER yesterday with difficult child.....broke his finger when iron beam fell on his hand at skate park!
I got a bit stuck when nurse asked me about any chronic illnesses......I did mention asthma, but was unsure.....do you mention Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) to them? Because is it really a chronic illness? Its psychological so is it important to mention during a physical accident? I think it did help that they knew to have more patience when he was 'unable' to walk to the x rays....to weak! OMW! Had to be pushed!!!! Or when he got terribly anxious during the x rays! Or when he totally inappropriatly showed every one his broken finger!
Any thoughts?

DammitJanet

That is iffy. I do tell because I take medications that could also be used for seizures so I wouldnt want them to assume I had epilepsy. However I do not tell them about the borderline personality disorder. I dont think they would take me seriously at all. I have however had problems even with bipolar.

One day I was in the hospital for something totally unrelated to my bipolar...I think it was an infected tooth or a migraine or even an Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and the doctor called out to someone that they needed to do something or other to "the bipolar in room 24" That was me. Now I would understand that somewhat if I was in there for bipolar...however even then it wouldnt be good, but I was not in there for bipolar. On the way out, I said rather loudly, I dont like A$$holes who announces everyones private information all over the emergency room.

Ktllc

I would share the information so they don't make any wrong assumptions. And if you only have to say it verbally (v. filling a form out), I would say please use more patience because he has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), he might get anxious.
You need to assume they are not going to misuse the information. If they do, you complain.

H

HaoZi

I do, because it changes how they explain things to Kiddo. They're more gentle with her, emotionally as well as physically. It makes things smoother and if I say no to specific medications they suggest then I don't need to explain why.

lovelyboy

Lol Janet! And if they have said wow you are rude....you could have given them a sweet smile and said.....yes, but do remember I am bipolar!!!!!

buddy

geez Janet, you actually could have done something given the privacy laws (depending when it was.) that last three times I have had to go to er for whatever with Q (rash/medication reaction/smashed fingers in car door) I was not even allowed to stand in the hall by the patient room areas and that was three different hospitals. They whisper outside of the rooms and dont use names. It is almost annoying because he is a child but often needs me near, but sometimes wants to be a big kid and see them alone.

I do tell them about the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and brain injury and seizures, as well as his enzyme disorder. He has so many medications that it comes out then and as others said, they understand better when he doesn't respond appropriately.

lovelyboy

Buddy, did Q ask to be alone? If any staff ever try to prevent me of being with my son I will turn around and go to a different hospital!

buddy

yes, depends on the exam... he is 15 now so he would prefer I look away for private things... (pretty funny he will run naked thru the house though, lol... what is this mom??? OMgosh...)

OR at times I choose to walk out because he is anxious and cant stop blurting and he will then kick his foot out at me or over and over swing his arm out at me.... says he will stop then cant...

Helps for me to step out in the hall and stay near. I heard one tech sitting with him once and he was saying he was so mad at me. Guy asked why and he said I was not letting him play with friends all the time and I took things away when he was doing bad things... the guy said, well sounds like you have a great mom who is trying to teach you and Q was shocked. He thinks I will get in trouble for that stuff, LOL.

lovelyboy

Buddy....my son does exactly the same! But by now this isnt a surprise! :)
On Saturday he was so helpless...so he asks me to do something, then I help him, BUT what irritates him is that I try to mother to much, like I will say be carefull not to fall of or stuff like that, then he will lash out at me! Or if I sit to close he will cick me ....but then later say thanx for everything, I am the best mom ever!:)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have to say that in almost every situation, sharing difficult child's entire medical history has been beneficial. I can't recall the exact situation, but there was only one time I can think of where I regretted sharing her history because the ER doctor either didn't hear it all or completely misinterpreted what I had said. I felt like I was put under the microscope, as if I was making it all up. From all appearances, difficult child came off as a normal typical girl...it wasn't until you got to know her that you then would realize there was more going on, Know what I mean?? So this doctor just kept asking me the same questions and at one point asked if he could speak with difficult child alone. I think she was around 13 or so and I asked difficult child, she said if I left she would leave, so I didn't leave. The doctor looked put off. Can't remember why we were there, it may have been an allergy thing or asthma.

Anyway, I am careful, but I'd rather risk sharing the info than withholding it on the off chance it may hurt my child.

InsaneCdn

I share unless there is a reason not to... such as Janet's case...
For example - difficult child has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) - doesn't hear well in a noisy environment.
Going into a hospital for tests or ER for whatever? I ALWAYS tell them that one... so that they know to make sure he got any message they are giving. (they are good about these kinds of dxes - far better than mental health ones).
Also, if medications are involved... they don't need the diagnosis, but they do need to know what's in his system so they don't add something wrong to the mix... but listing medications isn't the same as listing dxes. For example, stims are used for a variety of dxes...

susiestar

Roll With It
I used to give fairly complete info. Now, it depends on what is going on. The local ER has done some incredibly stupid things, some that were so callous as to be cruel, in my opinion. Esp in regard to kids who are in pain. If you don't act like their idea of what someone in pain acts like, well, they won't treat it at all. Period. For a long time I thought it was just us but I learned otherwise from a LOT of people. For anything that my kid can tolerate the drive for, we drive to the city (about 90 min) to the Children's ER. The care is just better and they actually listen to parents.

A complete medication list is important, but they have jumped to so many stupid conclusions based on the various diagnosis's that I just wait and see what is appropriate before I give them those. At one point the local ER decided that since thank you has sensory integration disorder it meant that he doesn't really feel pain so they could do stitches with-o a local anesthetic and that he didn't need any pain medications to treat the problem after he was home. After all, Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) means that you dont' feel pain, didn't YOU know that? The dr changed his mind when I offered to tear his lungs out with my teeth. There was NO way he was getting close to my kid after saying that. Just NONE. But this is our local small hospital and they have done/said so many stupid and crazy things that I am super wary.