What is gmail?

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's a free email provider through Google. If you go to gmail.com you can sign up for an email account if you want.

And that's my whole reply! LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
It's when you finally sit down at your computer with a good drink and click on your MAIL icon and have some.

Then you say G.......mail.

KTMom91

I just opened a gmail account, after att was being uncooperative, and I had to have email. Of course, now I have email in three different places...

trinityroyal

KTMom, one of the wonderful things about gmail is that you can configure it to receive mail from all of your other accounts.

I have about 12 different e-mail addresses(don't ask), but they are all consolidated under my main gmail account. All e-mail lands in the same inbox, clearly labelled with the e-mail address it was mailed to, so I know where it came from.

The interface is a little different from most other e-mail accounts and takes some getting used to, but I can't imagine going back to any of the other services.

Trinity

trinityroyal

Also it can talk to you somehow.

Yes, it can.

Gmail incudes its own instant message interface, called Google Chat. There's also a VOIP phone program called Google Talk. As long as you have a microphone and speakers or a microphone-enabled headset, you can "phone" people through Google Talk at no charge. They have to have a Gmail and Google Talk account set up as well, but it works pretty well. It's similar to Skype and other such services.

I don't use the Chat or the Talk very much. Same reason I don't use the phone. I don't like the interruptions in real time, and I find it hard to string the words together. I'd much rather have people e-mail me, and then I have time to think about what I want to say, etc. before responding.