What is it like to have a child Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)?

I have read about Auditory Processing Disorder and I understand all of the symptoms. I am curious to know what it is like to have a child with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)? What are other diagnosis do they have?

My daughter has ADHD and she is getting ready to be tested for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). I was just wondering what is it like for those of you who have children with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)?

What kind of treatment are they eligible for in school with this diagnosis along with ADHD?

Thanks jessica

Sharon

my 17 year old son also is diagnosed Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), ADHD, ODD is it not easy dealing with this. I am very frustrated because there is always something going on with him at school.

Sharon

They have special classes for students here that they have him placed in. I feel the teachers need to be better equipped to deal with these students because they do have special needs.

Sharon

They have several assessments that they can administer such as Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children III, Behavior Assessment System for Children, Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales Classroom Edition.

JJJ

Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing must be done by an audiologist. Teachers cannot administer that test. It should be done in a sound-booth. Our school buses our kids with Communication Disorders (primarily Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), but others also) to a CD classroom in the next district that is co-taught by a Special Education teacher and a speech-language pathologist.

A great book is "Like Sound through Water" one mother's account of raising a child with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

Sheila

My son has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) also known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) (Central Auditory Processing Disorder).

There are different types of APDs. Our difficult child has Auditory Cohesion.

1. Auditory Figure-Ground Problems: This is when the child cannot pay attention
when there is noise in the background. Noisy, low-structured classrooms could
be very frustrating to this child.
2. Auditory Memory Problems: This is when the child has difficulty remembering
information such as directions, lists or study materials. It can exist on an
immediate basis ("I can't remember it now") and/or a deferred basis ("I can't
remember it when I need it for later").
3. Auditory Discrimination Problems: This is when the child has difficulty
hearing the difference between sounds or words that are similar (COAT/BOAT
or CH/SH). This problem can affect following directions, reading, spelling, and
writing skills, among others.
4. Auditory Attention Problems: This is when the child cannot maintain focus for
listening long enough to complete a task or requirement (listening to a lecture in
school). Although health, motivation and attitude may also affect attention,
among other factors, a child with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) cannot (not will not) maintain attention.
5. Auditory Cohesion Problems: This is when higher level listening tasks are
difficult. Auditory cohesion skills - drawing inferences from conversations,
understanding riddles, or comprehending verbal math problems - require
heightened auditory processing and language levels. They develop best when all
the other skills (levels one through four above) are intact.

It's been my experience that screens nor routine intelligence test diagnose Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). And they miss lots of things when it comes to Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). Our son was tested via the school district -- it was missed.

An audiologist with a subspecialty in Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) is the professional qualified to diagnose APDs. They have specialized equipment to perform the that most school districts typically do not have. Speech-language pathologists provide treatment.

Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and ADHD have similar characteristics.

The link is part of a website I prepared for difficult child's teachers several years ago. It'll give an overview of how Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) impacts him.

He's had Earobics therapy and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) therapy, and it's helped.

Martie

Hi,

You are welcome to post here, but this is the Special Education help forum. Would you like to have your posts moved to the General Forum where there is more traffic and you will get more responses?

If so, just ask.

Martie

tiredmommy

I believe a student in Duckie's class has some form of Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). The teacher wears a wireless mic and he wears a wireless headset. Otherwise, he seems like a pretty typical student.

Martie

Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) varies a lot in presentation and outcome. My easy child had a moderately severe central auditory processing disorder as an infant and toddler, was in Special Education with consultative services only (all direct therapy was completed privately by the time she was six) in grades K-3. She had no LDs unless you consider Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) a form of Learning Disability (LD)--anyway, academics were always a strength for her.

She is now 22 and improbably majored in English at an academically rigorous college. Her only residual is she cannot learn a foreign language auditorily, at least not so far and she has tried 3 times, because her tested auditory discrim remains below the 10th percentile.

I'm glad your thread was moved to the girlfriend.

Martie

BusynMember

My eleven year old has an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), and I can just tell you what it was like for her.
In third grade she couldn't read--could not figure out how to string words together (whether this is part of Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) or not, I don't know. She is Learning Disability (LD)). You would have to show her how to do something rather than tell her or she wouldn't understand. She was put in a Special Education setting with a wonderful teacher.
Now she's in sixth grade and is reading maybe a year below grade level and is mainstreamed. You still need to show her rather than tell her, but she is so far getting straight A's in a mainstream setting. We had her tested by a neuropsychologist.