What is it with teeth and this board?

DammitJanet

I think this board is a jinx to teeth...lol.

My last two molars on the right side started kicking up hurting yesterday afternoon. I walked out to the family room around 2 pm holding the right side of my face and just looked at Tony and said "Owie!" He took one look and asked me if I still had leftover antibiotics and I did so I started them and I called my dentist today and I go in tomorrow morning. It simply amazes me that long acting morphine doesnt touch this pain. Thankfully I still have leftover vicodin from the last tooth issue so I have been taking that or I would be miserable. Im literally pouring anbesol on my teeth too.

I also talked to the place that I have to go to get the dentures done. They are supposed to do the rest of the extractions and make the dentures but they have to have my xrays first and then do an exam and do an insurance pre-approval. That will take at least 6 weeks or so.

Ugh...I need soup.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet - it's not the board. It's all the gritting of teeth we do...

And I'm gonna lecture you - FINISH YOUR ANTIBIOTICS!!!!! You should never ever have leftovers. Never.

OK, lecture done.

The only thing I ever found that touched tooth pain was ketoprofen... But you have to have an rx now. Ugh.

DammitJanet

I know about the abx...but this was when I was getting them dxd like candy over and over by two different docs so I had a double supply of the same script. I just filled it and kept it for the time when I knew this was going to happen on a weekend when I couldnt get there until..ta da! I dont have a dentist that will call in anything like they used to do. Its either tough it out or go to ER and last time that meant I had a huge abscess and two weeks or more of agony.

Oh...I take 50 mgs of Ketoprofen twice a day and thats not even touching it. It used to help but once you start taking it daily, it stops.

Oh no, I'm sorry your mouth hurts! At least he can see you tomorrow morning! And it's good news that things are moving forward with the dentures. If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a surgical thing done tomorrow at a periodontist at 4pm. My tooth is absessed and broken, he thinks he can fix it. My common sense tells me....he's a crook and you can't fix it. He wants to remove the root and clean out the absess, but he has to find which one is broken. He'll probably stir up the infection and it'll spread to my brain. And next week I'll pay even more to have it pulled anyway. I'm really scared and cynical. So......maybe by the end of tomorrow we'll both be feeling better. I wish I wasn't too scared to tell him to just pull the thing. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you. ((hugs))

TerryJ2

ohh, I'm so sorry. Didn't mean to jinx you.
But I agree ... we all grind our teeth so maybe that's it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ibuprofen, works better than vicodin, in my opinion, no joke. 800 mg prescription strength.....in other words, take enough of the otc pills to equal 800mg every 6 hrs-8 if you can stand it that long.

Just do not go near it with heat. It just makes any infection grow rampant.

I now always have ibuprofen in stock, always.

I'm so sorry yours are giving you fits too.

(((hugs)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
IT IS.......IT IS.........WHY just this afternoon.....I was in the loo.......zipped up my pants......and 2 teeth broke.......

walked around almost all day with my fly open. THANK goodness I had an apron on.

And you thought I was going to say something about bustin' some poor slob in the chops. Like my zipper was too tight and I hit myself? HAHAH......oh no. Now THAT will happen. DAMNITJANET

H

HaoZi

Colgate Pro Sensitive toothpaste (works faster than regular sensitive toothpastes). Painkillers alone won't do it, get toothpaste that hits it directly, it helps.
(by the way you get extra care bucks for that this week at CVS, too)

DammitJanet

I think I am so far past tooth paste helping me. The enamel at the bottom of most of my teeth has eaten away so there is this pulpy material that can be seen and felt at the bases. Thats why if anything hits a tooth it irritates it and the tooth has to go. Food can get in and get trapped and set up an infection I think. This is why the dentist said there was no point to even attempt to save them.

Oh no, do you think he wil pull them today? Maybe he can just clean it out if it's food that's stuck there. ....I think I'm just going to have mine pulled, it's so far in the back and I'm sick of throwing money at it for no reason. Good luck with whatever happens today.

H

HaoZi

The toothpaste is just to help ease the pain until you get the work done. I've got one broken to the gumline now, has been since the filling was lost about a year ago, can't get work until next tax return. Not a cure, but it helps with the pain in the meantime as an add-on to painkillers.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sensodyne is good too, but if it's pulpy? Hon, you need MAJOR work. been there done that hate every second.

H

HaoZi

Sensodyne is great but takes a bit to build up to good relief levels. I use both because the Colgate Pro-Relief works fast and the Sensodyne builds up and lingers.
Yes, pulp is bad. Very bad. And yes, likely beyond toothpaste and oral painkillers. Orajel might just aggravate it and doesn't last anyway. Warm salt water rinse is the best thing I can think to add to antibiotics to help keep it clean.

DammitJanet

Well...its getting pulled today at 10:30. Wish me well. Then in about 8 weeks or so, everything will be coming out. I say 8 weeks because I have no clue when I can get to the place in Wilmington. Certainly not this week. Then it takes another at least 6 weeks for the prior approval.

DDD

Sending caring thoughts your way. I'm not reading the posts in detail because I have "a thing" about dental work.
I'd rather have a baby than even have a cleaning! I brush, floss, swish two or three times a day just in hopes of not having to go there again! DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
DDD, don't overbrush...

If you care for your teeth and have no health issues that make them worse (like I do - long ago issue messed up my enamel permanently), then a cleaning should be... well, BORING. Maybe tickle a little. The noise is the worst part for me anymore.

And they have topical stuff, if you have sensitive gums. No injections.

Mattsmom277

All these teeth posts have me having sympathy pain nearly. Hope it goes smoothly today Janet, nothing worse than tooth pain (for me anyhow). I bet in 8 weeks when all is taken care of you're going to have a huge sense of relief to be just done with dental work! Hang in there. I'm sending you cyber soup!