What is Tenex

cupcakes

What are your thoughts about Tenex for ADHD, ODD . I have read some of the side effects, and am not so sure about it. Also the Dr. left it up to us whether we wanted to go ahead with it or not. Is that typical?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's a blood pressure medication that is sometimes used to help with attention. You don't indicate in a signature what you're dealing with in your difficult child. Is it strictly an ADHD/ODD diagnosis?

Some doctors like to make recommendations and then leave it up to the parents if they are willing to try a medication. It's ultimately up to you anyway.

We tried Tenex with our difficult child 2, but at the time he was also on a high dose stimulant and an AP and the combination made him manic. This really raised a red flag for the psychiatrist and suggested more strongly the mood disorder diagnosis he has now.

cupcakes

It was prescribed for impulse control, temper and some focusing. He has tried stimulant medications previously and those did not work at all. And yes he is ADHD and ODD.

jannie

trying to survive....
Tenex worked really well for my difficult child when the stimulants were not effective. He took it for about 2 1/2 years.

smallworld

Tenex is better at targeting hyperactivity and impulsivity than inattention. One of the major side effects is sedation. If it is discontinued, it needs to be withdrawn slowly so as to avoid rebound high blood pressure.

When you get a chance, we'd appreciate your creating a signature similar to mine below. It helps us keep the details of your family in mind when we're responding to your posts. Just go to User CP at the top lefthand corner of this page and click on "Edit Signature."

Janna

Yeah - we gave D a 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet when he was 3 or 4 and it made him comatose LOL! We tried it again about 3 years ago (1 mg) and it didn't do anything.

I've heard good things about Tenex from true ADHD kids. But, with kids with alot of stuff, like D - I haven't heard much.

Hope it works if you go that route.

busywend

I gave difficult child Tenex at night and she slept like a baby - which was nice since she could not sleep most nights due to the Aderall.

I had to discontinue due to Dex not administering it consistently. It MUST be given the same way EVERY day. As smallworld stated, it is a blood pressure medication so careful administering and titrating down is a must if it is stopped.

TerryJ2

Funny, I just met with-the psychiattrist today, and difficult child and I mentioned that his tutor has heart problems, and may also be ADHD. Then again, he loves coffee. :) The psychiatrist mentioned Tenex. She said it has been used off-label for ADHD and anger, but will soon be receiving the go-ahead to use on kids--I'm guessing this fall.
I'm wondering if it can be substituted for Adderal, when my son outgrows it.
We'll wait and see.

tisha

Hello, all my son has been newly diagnosis with ADHD. I was hoping this would be a nice support group, the doctor has started him on tenex 0.5 for 7days then 1mg q day

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Hey all. In addition to bipolar and high-functioning Autism, I also have ADHD. Due to the Bipolar, I am absolutely unable to tolerate stims and Strattera.

About 3 years ago, I was put on what wound up being a high dose of propranalol (another blood pressure medication) for migraine prevention. I found that in addition to cutting back on the headaches, propranalol helped with the ADHD.

The only side-effects I experience is that my bood pressure has gone from borderline high to low. (140/80-102/68). This is not dangerous except that it drops lower if I've been sitting, or especially laying down for a while, and I have to be careful when rising quickly.
As with ANY BiPolar (BP) medication, I cannot quit propranolol cold turkey due to the risk of a catastrophic rise in BiPolar (BP), and changes in heart activity.

I've heard of great results with Tenex in children, which is basically a big brother to chlonidine, also a BiPolar (BP) medication.