What is the best way to take away the video games for a 17-year-old?

Marguerite

difficult child 3 has a very good imagination, he has actually amazed his English teachers with his creative writing. I think he does so well with it because most kids his age are more inhibited socially when it comes to self-expression.

The coping skill ting with gaming - yes, part of it could be (in some cases) an escape from a challenging reality, but I think a lot more than we realise, it is also an opportunity to learn and practice social skills (interacting with game characters or other players) in a more controlled environment. I've noticed over the years that both the boys have worked really hard at times, trying to study animal behaviour or human behaviour. A fairly new thing for difficult child 3 - he is noting expressions (in his games or in bits he sees on TV) and asking for information on what it means, or where the expression came from. For example a few days ago we were watching Stephen Fry on TV and he used the word "inasmuch". difficult child 3 wanted to know what it meant. Yesterday difficult child 3 asked us, "What would a cowboy mean if he said, 'If the boot fits...'?"
Some of the new expressions come from games (especially those with wittier programming in the dialogue) and it is interesting to almost be able to see the cogs in his mind working. It tells me that a lot of what is happening with his gaming, is some sort of self-directed learning. Not always appropriate, but in some way he seems to be driving himself to use this pathway towards learning social skills. Because what else is there that works for him? Whatever society can provide is much more anarchic (because reality IS anarchic!).

difficult child 3 is also increasingly plugged into a site called furaffinity, which his technology teacher at school was concerned about. The site does have some inappropriate content, plus it seems to attract those with a serious fetish for some very odd things. However, difficult child 3 seems to be attracted more to the other people on the site - they are odd, so therefore they are already on his team in his eyes. He's too old to attract a pedophile (plus we're too isolated). He uses an alias on FA as well as on FB and with any online gaming. He's embraced his alias as an avatar and to a large extent, an identity. A sort of animal super-hero in the same way his older brother identifies with Australia's largest eagle, the wedge-tail.

Our kids are different, and we try to push them towards a normality they often cannot handle. We need to get them to embrace normality, but we will only succeed if we lead them to it at a pace they CAN handle. And gaming seems to provide a pressure relief valve for them. However, we do need to find ways to break the hold of gaming at times when we need our kids to engage in reality.

Teaching our kids to self-monitor and self-balance is better than always nagging. We need the kids to develop their own inner voice that says, "Time to stop for a while." As they get older and need to earn a living, that can provide some of that impetus.

Marg

L

Lourdes

Oh, I totally agree about our kids need that inner voice to work.

He played Mario Bros and Sonic in elementary school. Runescape, too. He also collected Pokemon cards. High school has been just Halo, World of Warcraft and now Star Wars. He has a few other games like Call of Duty but he is just not into those as much. We tried that Wii console where you get up and move and he HATED it. Too easy. He wants more challenging stuff, plus he has never liked sports and he's totally uncoordinated. We sold the Wii back after 2 week.

So I was going to track his usage today and it turns out he watched 2 movies in a row. So it's gonna be hard for me to keep track of when he is actually playing video games or watching a show, but I will find a way. His set up is side by side monitors - 1 Xbox and 1 computer. He's in the same chair no matter what he is doing. He also agreed that I would cancel World of Warcraft. One down, two to go.

I think he needs a Kindle and a gym membership, too. I don't see him working yet. Who would hire the equivalent of a 13-year-old? He is so immature, plus he still doesn't know his address. Seriously! He's just not normal. I was thinking the other day - When is he going to go through the "I'll do it myself" phase that most kids go through in toddlerhood? When?

Y'all are so helpful you have no idea.

InsaneCdn

Has he ever had an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for motor skills?
Because... more than a "gym", I suspect he needs Occupational Therapist (OT) therapy... his brain isn't fully wired yet, and there's still time to make SOME impact. Not as good as catching them at 5... (don't I wish) or at 10 or 15 (last number is US)... but he isn't 25, either.
Occupational Therapist (OT) can recommend activities that will actually be within his reach and not turn him into a laughingstock.

L

Lourdes

Oh I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on Occupational Therapist (OT). It was truly awesome. They paired him with another boy so they could work on social skills at the same time as the Occupational Therapist (OT). I thnk it was 5th-6th grades time period 2x a week. They taught him how to tie his shoes, too. He had fine motor skills delay. He didn't technically qualify for sensory integration disorder type thing, but I kept hearing how wonderful Occupational Therapist (OT) was for pretty much any kid, so I signed him up. I literally had him go until I ran out of money.

InsaneCdn

OK, if you have the evaluations... can you afford just a consult?
What physical activities would match his current abilities and needs?

For example... some kids can handle swimming, others enjoy long-distance running - or running but only on a track (less challenging for coordination) - or the weight room...

Plus... which of these that HE would like, is something YOU would like too?
Turn this activity into relationship-building at the same time.

DammitJanet

Billy is into all sorts of games, violent, military, cars, roll playing, just about anything. He also reads constantly. He has some friends that he talks to that he has known since they were probably in 8th grade and they have talked on instant messenger and they live all over the world. One is in the Netherlands. Billy is also really into Japanese cartoons. He got Keyana into watching them with him...lol. Obviously she doesnt understand a word they are saying but she loves seeing the different type of cartoons. The whole anime stuff.

Billy doesnt have a violent bone in his body. He does claim he had a whole lot of depression during his teen years that I never picked up on and for that I am so sorry but I just didnt know. I was so involved with Cory and he never said a word.

buddy

Not all spectrum kids have no imagination though. That is a pretty common misconception. THeirs is just different. Wiz has an amazing imagination, so much so that he often confused it with reality. But he is 100% an Aspie and there is NO doubt about that even though he does have quite the imagination.

But the violent videogames do seem more addictive, in my opinion.

I agree, while some do very little pretend play, it seems more the social imagination kind of thing that some of them are missing.... Like the back and forth role play, give and take kind of thing. They might take on a role that is rote and scripted though....but dont mess it up and dont let another child try to guide how the play will turn...

Though I have to say a huge amount of them prefer non fiction books or specific series like certain graphic novels or the warriors series etc.

Q is great about entertaining himself. Just has always been gathering and setting up and collecting or buiding lego structures, lincoln log structures, etc...just for the sake of building, not to play with. Of course then there are his beloved sports especially nascar.