What is the local headline in your town today?

busywend

I started to think about just how different our lives are - we have many similarities, but really even the towns we are in are probably so different in many ways as well.

The headline here is that 13 catholic schools (12 elementary and 1 jr high) are closing! Yikes! Two of them I attended. My high school closed 3 years after I graduated. So, I now have only one school that I attended still open. That was the public school I went to for 2 years after my mom left my dad and before she remarried - she just could not afford private education on her own.

This is pretty sad for all the kids impacted (1,868) and the staff that will lose their jobs (about 200 people). But, also for those of us that have memories of attending school there. It saddens me.

What is going on in your town today?

trinityroyal

In my city today: Another shooting, another innocent bystander dead. Second time in less than a week.

It's heartbreaking :crying: and it makes me so incredibly angry. Both men were fathers of young children. One of them was going home early so that he could take his son out skating the next day. This latest man was filling in doing an extra shift at the fruit market, to help out his boss.

It's just not right. So very sad.

Headlines in my city almost always have to do with taxes, the real estate market, or the water shortage. I think this is because there is so much violence here that it doesn't MAKE the headlines, anymore.

For instance, we learned on the local news that a woman had been kidnapped from her home. The man who did it has been apprehended but, the last I heard, the woman herself has not been found.

That's one.

Another is that there are a group of people here who will stand trial for slavery. Apparently, they have been smuggling people across the border and then, chaining them up unless they are working the fields.

They fed them twice a day and worked them six days a week.

The rationale behind it is that the persons need to pay off the costs of having been smuggled across the border.

But none of that made the headlines.

Very, very different from our papers and newscasts at home.

Barbara

donna723

Ours is really sad today. An eleven year old boy was shot and killed by his fourteen year old friend while they were playing with a gun. The fourteen year old has been charged with criminal homicide. The mother of the eleven year old says that her son would have known it was an accident and would want to forgive his friend - she doesn't want the fourteen year old charged with homicide. It just never ends, does it?

And on the same page, there's an article about the Director of Metro Nashville schools, who has an abysmal track record. He wants to leave his position and they're having meetings on how many hundreds of thousands of dollars they will have to come up with as a severence package to buy out the remainder of his contract and get rid of him! That's very sad too! Wish I had that kind of job!

BusynMember

In Wisconsin?
The Packers are on the front of all the newspapers around here.

We had two Catholic schools close here last week and there were also headlines about our paper mill closing. That is going to impact our economy. Our tiny area is ruled by papermills and they keep being sold to bad owners or, in this case, ceasing to exist.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
We have had a bad rash of burglaries and home invasion robberies and they finally arrested 18 people, most of them local Asian gang members, who were preying on other local Asians and Middle Easterners due to the belief they never kept their valuables and cash in banks. They actually killed the local video store owner when they broke into his home. The local sherriff's department is asking those who were robbed to come to the station today and see if any of the extremely large amount of stuff they confiscated could belong to anyone.

I worked my behind off to buy a nice house in a middle class neighborhood so my kids would not be raised in the city with all of the gangs and violence and I would not have to worry if they were out playing if they would be shot or not. And 20 years later, gangs and violence have managed to worm its way here.

Sigh...

Macie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We're such a small town that our town paper was bought by a person from a nearby smaller town. Now all our headlines are pretty much about the smaller town, which is so ridiculous that I stopped getting the paper at all. :rolleyes:

F

flutterbee

Our local headline today was about a chiropractor who plead guilty to insurance fraud.

We live in a small town. Nothing happens here.

wakeupcall

WELL, it isn't the Houston Chronical, but a small town we lived in for many years (where difficult child was born) is the one with the UFO's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just a riot and we have laughed over it till we're sick. The Houston Chronical (inside, not front page) had a picture of 15-year-olds who have made up alien t-shirts for the high school in TX where this occurred. They have sold 400!!!!!!!!!!! I can proudly say difficult child was born in a town of aliens!! Maybe that's what happened??????????

The headlines are a mixture here today.

But here's my favorite:

"Joy in the King family: A marriage, a baby due". Martin Luther King III and his soon to be wife are expecting a baby in the Spring. The King family has suffered the loss of their Mother, Corretta Scott King and their sister, Yolanda King in recent years. So it's nice to hear some good news for them.

Other headlines are about local Gas companies charging their customers too much - not really new news...

Increased mental health funding not going to needed improvements...

A scandal involving our mayor's ex-husband who apparently owes $176,000 in back taxes from his shops at the Atlanta airport. Sigh... I wish they would leave our wonderful mayor, Shirley Franklin, alone... After all he is her EX-husband!

saving grace

Strange how there is a post about this today, I have been sleepless for 3 days due to our headlines here in Boston.

Aunt pulls car to the side of highway 495 at 9pm takes her clothes off as well as the clothes of her 4 and 6 year old neice and nephew and walk into the middle of the highway and kill them all. Ruled murder/suicide. Mental illness to blame, what the illness is is not being disclosed. the children were the kids of her twin sister. The aunt was described as loving and caring was bringing the kids home from a pirate/princess party at her house that she hosted for all the kids.

What is wrong with this world? I cant bare to think of the pain that mother is enduring at this moment, the fear of the babies.

I wonder if I will sleep tonight.

Grace :sad:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Horry County Voting machines 90% did not work -

Fred Thompson makes an appearance at the Gun and Knife Show -

Star finds the courage to resist a cherry covered coridal - news at 11.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Our local paper is talking about a program our Y is putting on for healthier living.

Another is called Lighten Up Iowa. It is also about a program for healthier living.

That was yesterdays headlines. We don't get a Sunday papr. But I am certain that the Monday paper will have headlines of a major fire in a town not too far away that had 15 fire departments working on it. They lost a whole city block. Mostly businesses with apartments above them. It was so cold here that the water was freezing as soon as it made contact with anything. Very scary.

Beth

slsh

member since 1999
Seizure of $5 million worth of coke out here in 'burbs. Wonderful.

In the big city, there's been a *massive* water main break that's flooded out apparently blocks. The pictures are really amazing. Will make a nice skating rink - temp has already fallen from 29 when I woke up to 24. Brrrr.

Saving Grace - I read that over the weekend. Just heartbreaking and truly bizarre.