What is the sense?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
In the old days they always ran credit reports for my bank jobs. In those days it was retail jobs, too...any job where one would handle cash.

I suppose there really are all kinds of employee theft, especially in a poor economy where people are really strapped for cash. How it applies to a CDL job is an easy stretch.....one could essentially steal the load it was transporting and sell it and say it was stolen or the driver was robbed (that's what Rob said when he stole our car and 16 of my ex's work laptops were missing the next day). It doesn't mean they are good crooks or smart crooks, just that there are a bunch of crooks and desperate people out there who could potentially cause harm.

Just like anything else, a few troublemakers make life more difficult for the law- abiding citizens of the world.

Suz

DammitJanet

Star...you make a good point on the identity theft. I would want to know who they are using to do the credit check. Normally your SSN is on your job app so a separate form shouldnt be needed. Though I guess nowadays maybe we shouldnt put that out there until a job offer is on the table.

I actually knew a woman who worked with me who had her identity stolen by someone who worked at BCBS. The two women just happened to have the same name so the woman at BCBS took the info from the woman I knew and opened up a ton of stuff with her social and it was a mess. This had to be almost 17 years ago now so identity theft wasnt as advanced as it is today so she had a much harder time gathering all the info to prove what was her and what wasnt her.

Lothlorien

Star, my husband is in the trucking industry. It does make sense, because some items you might be taking are high in value. Unless you are applying for bus driving positions?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm APPLYING FOR DRIVING A GARBAGE TRUCK........lol What exactly would I be taking? (do not answer that) lol

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Step is right.

All kinds of things get tossed that should have been shredded. You had an issue with identity theft- garbage would be a major source of information if one was interested in going through trash to look for information. Garbage guys would also know who put their trash out and who didn't. And if they didn't put out their trash, they could probably tell if someone is out of town, thus a home vulnerable to be broken into, etc.

Suz

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Star--

I think they are mostly looking for a pattern of responsible behavior. Even a garbage truck is an expensive piece of equipment to purchase, maintain, and repair. They want a responsible person who will care for their equipment. A person who pays their bills in a timely manner is probably responsible.

Also -
There are unique things that might show up on a trucker's credit report that would be of concern:

Sometimes, if a driver gets a large, expensive traffic ticket...the company will give them a loan to pay the fine which will then be subtracted from the driver's check in weekly installments. A judgment will show up on the driver's report if he quit to avoid repaying.

Some trucking companies offer lease-purchase plans. If a driver failed to comply with the payment plan, there may be a judgment or note in the credit report.

Owner-operators might have had their big-rig repossessed for defaulting on the loan.

You get the idea...

H

HaoZi

Not to mention the garbage guys see all the boxes from new toys like computers, TVs, etc., so they know what just got bought by whom.

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU girls.......I'm so 1 dimensional some times - I'm thinking - I get there.....get IN the cab.....and STAY there. Pilfering through someones trash NEVER, EVER (makes nasty face) EVER crossed my mind. And I have a clean driving history so guess that never crossed my mind.

NOW I do not feel so bad.

Come to think of it - People do throw out neat stuff but I figured if I was driving? I'd never get 'dibs'. lol

Thanks again.

H

HaoZi

I'm paranoid like that. I got one of those paper shredders that can latch onto your wastebasket, $10 for piece of mind isn't too bad a deal. I always keep the boxes from my electronics for at least a year after I buy it just in case I end up having to take it back or send it in for repair. Then when I finally toss it, it's not so great compared to the new stuff.

TerryJ2

Wow, I never knew that. I've only had to fill out a credit check to do Macy's Christmas decor, and I thought it was tied into my discount. Uh-duh.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We always take (listen to me ----always, lol like we buy new stuff all the time hahah) but when we do get anything in a new box, we break the box down and store it in the shed rafters for the exact same reason, if it has to go back? They always want that 'O.....RIGINAL' box. If we keep the item more than a year, and the warranty and extended warranty expire? Then we recycle the box at the local cardboard place. IF we get any mail in? My Mom got me the VERY coolest thing and I've used it so much I have to get refills.....

It's an inker that you roll OVER ANYTHING that has your personal information on it - address or anything. I get loads of freebie magazines and I hated to cut out the address part before donating them so she got me this for Christmas, and I also use it BEFORE I shred my mail. It's from the PLUS corporation. It rolls XXYYZZPPDDXX looking things in black ink over your information and you can't see through it no matter how hard you try and the ink will NOT soak off or rub off. You just roll it right over your address. VERY PRIVATE and cool - so now instead of trying to peel the address lables off of boxes we get in the mail? I just ROLL them - and have saved boatloads of time. I LOVE THIS THING.

This gadget and the one that she got me that SEALS my chip bags - then magnets to the fridge? OH I woudln't be caught without it. I hate chip clips - and this thing? ZIPS my bags like a seal a meal but better and hangs on the fridge - presto - and then you unseal the fresh chips or bag or whatever - I LOVE IT.

My Mom - Inspector Gadget.