What is your choice of a great dog breed for a 60-something?

bby31288

LOL. To me she was smelly! They are hounds, so technically are meant to be kept outside in a dog house. The oils in their skins are different. She was a lovable and sloberable..but when you came into the house you KNEW a dog lived there. We would wash her bedding perhaps every other day.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
As you can see in my avatar I have 2 cairns. They are small dogs (about 17-20lbs) with big dog spirit. Ours love to go on road trips, walks and play fetch real well. They also like to lounge on the couch with us and they sleep at the foot of our bed. They are fun loving and very loyal and protective.

That said, however, the first one we got was a rescue and he was a bit neurotic and very insecure. The ones we have now we got as puppies and they are wonderful. We've driven with them to West Virginia where they met my sister's chows and they all played nicely together. Like any other breed, if you train them right, they should be fine. Oh yeah, cairns can live upwards of 17+ years.

donna723

Bassetts ARE big dogs! My brother had one for a while. He was big enough that when he stood up on his hind legs, he was tall enough to help himself to anything they had on the kitchen counter or dining room table. And he was smart enough to figure out how to open the bi-fold doors on their pantry. If you didn't watch him closely, he would get in there and take whole loaves of bread or boxes of cereal and eat them. He was a neat dog though, very laid back temperament, really good with the kids, and I don't remember him smelling too bad. One thing about Bassetts, I think they have some of the same health issues as Dachshunds. They can get a lot of back problems from trying to support that long, heavy body on those short, stubby legs.

bby31288

Funny about eating whole loaves of bread. Once our bassett got into the back fridge and ate 5 entire pies and a pot of mashed potatoes!!! She didn't even get sick.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Little Miss Mary Sunshine here....

Think about the life of your dogs breed. Is it 5-8 years, 5-15 years? Where does that leave you age wise? Then where does that leave him/her? NOT that anyone in their 70's is elderly. Not my point. My point is at that age you are rid of children, rid of responsibilities and able to go, do, travel - and not have to worry about leaving a pet behind if you WANTED to go and do. I have BEGGED my Mom at 73 to get a dog - NOTHING doing - she thought about a cat but when she saw how independent they were and untrainable - nope - likes her freedom. Personally I think she's missing out but here are some of her thoughts - I'll share for posterity sake....take it for what it's worth.

There is training and exercise. I'm in my 40's and not well at present. My dogs are high-energy. They REQUIRE 1 hour a night to "wind-down" so I don't have the hyper active terrier, bounce off the wall, make me nuts, barking, crazy OR totally bored and depressed creatures. It's not THEIR fault I don't feel well. Something to consider as we age with pets. Tonight was the first time in a year I've walked for 30 minutes with my dog. We're both going to pay for it tomorrow. lol. As far as Bassetts go? They're smart - BOY are they smart but they are STUBBORN and take a LOT of constant work to train. You do not see many of them in agility and that is one reason CONSTANT. Another is back trouble. Huskies are another nightmare. Smart with a capital S - but WOW - what a challenge.

There is also breed specific ailments and vet costs. Are you going to put back or purchase insurance? Will you have funds available IF something catastrophic happens? Bassets are known for cherry eye. I think its called Entropian? sp? The surgery is expensive and sometimes does not work or give relief. Shepherds can have bad hips. Danes have brains that outgrow their skulls, and stomachs that flip. Weiner dogs have bad backs. Bulldogs - (pm me I'll share my files) I'm not trying to scare you - but it's always going to be a risk. 6o or 16 -

Then there is grooming and if you don't send out for grooming - how about bending over the tub and staying bent over? I swear my 140 lb dog about kills me now....in my next house? There will be a shower for the dogs IN the mud room and a free standing blower right next to that RIGHT next to the back door. I am SO thankful he gets in and out of the tub himself. And toe nail clipping - OH please....drama queen. Pass the milkbones.

So now that I've been completely brutal about the stuff like Mom would be....here's a really neat pick a dog tool I found for you to pick your perfect next dog. I hope it helps. I'm pretty sure my next dog is going to be a box turtle. Or a Dogues DeBordeaux. All those wrinkles and the slobber and the gas - I figure when I'm 60 it will be a great cover up for me.

http://www.iams.com/pet-health/dog-breed-guide/dogue-de-bordeaux

I love the King Charles Cavalier Spaniels - they are beautiful but I'm not a Spaniel fan. I like ENORMOUS dogs. I love Molosser breeds like Mastiffs, but with them goes hips and eyes and slobber - and food bills and then you have to buy a bobcat with a bucket to scoop poop and dump truck to haul it to the field. What about going to the library and getting a dog encyclopedia and reading up on the breed and emailing a few breeders about the breeds needs, temperment etc?

About a year ago in the pound was a giant dog. He was a Fila Brasillero. Massive. Looked like a Bloodhound on steroids. He's a mastiff breed. Friendly as could be and almost 48" at the head. I called a breeder about them. She told me things I would have never known reading a book. Like they have to be socialized with the dogs they are to live with between 6-12 weeks or they will never live with other dogs - as they are extremely territorial. It took one time out of the kennel at the pound to prove her right. Alone? Fine. Near another dog? Scary. It would have never worked out - Not ever - not all the trying in the world and with a dog that would have easily gone 190 lbs...not a test animal.

So get a few ideas - put pictures of them around - and then call a few breeders or visit a few kennels. Or - like I suggest every day - ASPCA all the way!

Best of luck -

BusynMember

I will probably get another dog within three years putting me near the end of the 50 bracket age-wise :tongue:. I am likely to rescue a dog, which will make the dog about 2-4 years, the age I prefer. When I do that breed test thingie, Bichons always come up first for me, and they are high on my possibility list. I don't want to have a dog who needs three long walks just in case I get sick and can't walk the dog. I don't want a huge dog because we may move to a trailer and travel in our camper. I want one I can pick up under my arm and take in the car. And on road trips. And one who will sleep by my head. I love large dogs, but as I get older, I can't guarantee I can still keep up with one.

I'm kind of moving away from Bassetts. I hear they REALLY smell bad and they are bigger than I'd like, although I also hear they are low energy dogs, which would actually work well. I also may get another cockapoo. My little fellow in the Green Bay hat (avator) is my favorite dog I've ever had. He's pretty laid back, not often cocker-like, affectionate and very sweet. He's pretty small too and I could get a smaller one. And I can't resist a fuzzy face. ****-zus are also high on my list and chihuahua. Yes, I know they yap, but they are very loyal and great friends too and they are easy to tuck under your coat when you sneak them into a gas station (unless they stick their head out and start barking)!

jal

We have a Boston Terrier that we took in over a year ago. She's a doll. She was a gift to an elderly couple that couldn't care for her so she came to us at 6 months through a friend of a friend. Sweetest temperment, so quiet at times it's like another cat in the house. She's a lap dog and spreads her affection equally between difficult child, husband and I. Luckily, she sticks very close as we live in a wooded area off and we are about 350ft off the road, so he can go out with-o a leash. We can watch her from our deck or be down in the yard with-her. She gets out her energy by flying (and I mean flying) around the yard and doing circles so fast you'd think she'd fall over. She is just shy of 15 lbs so she is easy in and out of the car or to move around. I wouldn't trade her for the world. (Me saying this since I didn't want another dog after ours passed and husband who just fawns all over her who never wanted a small dog, yet he just had to go and get her).

I do understand though that they all have different temperments. Some are very very energetic, some like to sleep a lot and some are in between.

We had had a Rottie for 14 1/2 yrs. Awesome dog in all aspects, a true loyal friend, as is the Boston, but the Boston is definately lower maintainence!

donna723

Most Bostons tend to be very high energy and hyper, especially when they're young. And incidentally, that flying around in circles (usually with a goofy expression on their faces!) is referred to as a "BT500". My two do it in the house! When they're asleep, they're dead to the world, but then when they wake up, they're raring to go again. My oldest one, Ragan, just turned seven last week and she's still just like she's on springs, bouncing off the walls. They can be extremely high-energy, playful little clowns who would chase a ball 24/7 if you'd let them. If you want a couch-potato, forget about a Boston! They're tough little dogs but they do have their requirements - they are very temperature sensitive. They are strictly INDOOR dogs. They don't have very thick hair so they don't like the cold at all, and you have to be very, very careful about allowing them to get too hot. They get overheated easily - they pant like other dogs when they're hot but it doesn't do the smooshy faced button-nosed dogs much good, and they can have a heat stroke and die on you before you know what happened if you're not careful! They also tend to velcro themselves to their owners - they want to be with you and do what you do and go where you go. Sit down, they're on you or next to you. Get up, they follow you. Go to bed, they will want to go with you, preferably under the covers. It's a very intense owner/dog relationship you'll have with a Boston. And they snore. And snort. And fart. And burp! I think it's adorable, but it's not for everyone.

Stuffed!!!!!!! Having had dogs all my life, I think by the time I'm 60+, I want to be pet free. But, since you asked, malteses seem to be wonderful house/lap dogs.

BusynMember

I don't mind energetic pups as long as they can expend it in the house and yard, and I love tricksters. I don't mind hyper if they get along well with people and other dogs.
I've heard both Bostons (adorable things) and Maltese (ditto) are very good for seniors. Remember, I'm not frail quite yet. I'm pretty spry stil :tongue:

everywoman

I have two small dogs---a Yorkie ( who is the most loyal, precious little thing) and a Hairless Terrier (not Chinese Crested, she is much cuter). Both are great little dogs who are extremely loyal, easy to train, and are just so darn lovable. Both are also easy to take care of. Prissy has to be brushed daily, but she is so tiny (only 5 pounds) that it takes no time at all. Pinky has no hair, so the only maintenance is on her nails--which are too cute, some are black and the others look like a french manicure. I also currently have PCson's dachshund---a very smart dog---but I can't take the shedding of the hair with my allergies, so he stays outside.

Christy

We've got a chocolate lab, he's like a difficult child only trainable!

I just wanted to mention that while Bassett hounds are soooo adorable, our neighbors had one that smelled terrible. They tried to keep him as an indoor dog and had him washed and groomed weekly but he always smelled and made furniture and carpeting stinky as well. Eventually they made him a nice dog house and pen in the backyard and took him out for walks and such.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm not tempted to get a bassett but I'm curious why they smell so badly? Is it their ears? Oily coat?

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmm. I've had.........wait, let me count..........6 bassets total over the years. I don't recall one ever "smalling bad". Of course mine got monthly baths where I did their ears/glands.........But still.

Now I will agree there is suppsoed to be a so called "hound" smell to them. But honestly......if you bath them.......it's not really there. My Mom is uber sensitive to smelly dogs (her dog is bathed once a week!) and she never noticed an odor with mine.

by the way Molly is nowhere near a "hound" in any sense. Yet as a whole......she is far more dog stinky than Betsy and requires more baths because of it. lol

And I gaurantee you my bassets could keep up with all the kids in the neighborhood. :D They'd run and play all day if the kids wanted to, or sit and snuggle with me. That bassets are lazy is a myth. No hunting dog is lazy. And basset's are hunting dogs.

Just thought I'd toss that in there so you can make an informed decision. :)

BusynMember

Thanks about the Bassets (all opinions :tongue:).
I'm going to explore Bassets before I decide. I have a few years before I'll be buying a dog although I want one NOW!
Thanks for the info on the hairless terrier! Never heard of that one. I'll have to research it.
I love Yorkies. They are adorable. I like dachshunds too (one was mentioned in passing). This is going to be a hard decision. My dogs absolutely have to be inside dogs. All of my dogs live at my feet. :D My cocker smells sometimes, not real bad, but he does at times, usually when we find out he has an ear infection.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know what you mean MWM. I have many breed favorites. Bassets just happen to pretty much top the list. lol But there are many more breeds that I really like as well. Buster was a yorkie.....and although I'm not partial to small dogs.....lil squirt made me fall head over heels for him. lol

What I'd really like is to have another dog like Molly. But I doubt I'll get that lucky twice. (and she's basically a mutt - shepard mix) If I found another one with her smarts and personality......OMG I wouldn't wait, I'd get it now. And husband knows it, he's already been warned. lol :D

So while I'm not getting another dog at this moment..........I am keeping my eyes open. Sometimes that's how the perfect dog happens to come along.

BusynMember

We had an ordinance here that you can only have three animals. I have six--three dogs and three cats. The cats and indoor cats so I doubt anyone will report us. So many people breech the law that I doubt anyone who report us anyway. But a dog is harder to hide. That doesn't mean I won't be tempted to adopt another little squirt and hide him. Little dogs are a lot easier to hide than big ones. Nobody could see a little one over the top of our fence out back. We had a chihuahua for many years and he was a cinch to hide.
The thing is, I enjoy giving all my attention to one dog. With three dogs, I have to divide my time. I favor the cockapoo, but love all of them. Of course, dogs like other dogs to play with. My cockapoo and cocker are like twins! My lab/cocker mix is a very aloof dog. She loves her humans, but has nothing to do with either outsiders or other dogs. She's a mess at the dog park--I don't take her. She hates it. I often wonder if the "mix" was told to us wrong and she is part chow or some other breed that is very aloof. She is defintely part retriever and looks like a mini-retriever and she retrieves. But she doesn't have that lab energy (of course, she is seven now) and she doesn't have the lab friendliness.
Anyone DNA test their dog?