What is your favorite summer activity?

crazymama30

So just wondering, what is your favorite summer activity?

What do you like to do that is less expensive, and what do you save as a treat because of the cost?

Just wondering what others are doing.

shellyd67

We actually joined our town pool.

It was not too expensive and it keeps the kids so busy and away from one another so there is no fighting.

We pack a lunch and some water bottles and snacks and off we go on my days off. I go to a part time schedule during the summer months to help defray the cost of a babysitter.

I also love taking day trips. We will probably go with a group of my friends and their kids to a nearby lake for the day and maybe a trip to Amish Country.

We also plan to spend alot of time down the beach.

I am hoping that with my recent health issues this will all come to fruition.

I wish all of you a safe and happy summer !!!

keista

Hiding in the A/C. Seriously. It get to gosh darn hot around here. We have a pool but it's currently out of commission. I was hoping to get it at least slightly functional this year, but it's time to head North right now. Maybe when we get back.

Wiped Out

Staff member
CM-What are you doing?

Shelly-Pool time-gotta love it:)

I think one of my favorite summer time activities is the sitting by the pool with my friend. We just relax and enjoy the slower pace of summer whenever we can. Sometimes I feel like I'm way too old to still be going to the pool but the relaxation is too amazing to pass up.
:beach:

Of course, a close second to the pool is squeezing in my summer naps!
:sleeping:

I also love this time of the year for reading!!:reading:

I also love going to visit relatives in the summer.

One thing I would love to do more of is traveling-some day!

crazymama30

We end up taking lots of day trips to go fishing, going tomorrow with difficult child and his friend. Many times will take the small portable bbq'er and make hot dogs. camping is good, every year (as long as my luck holds) we have our yearly girls trip to the coast. I hope to take the kids to the zoo this year, and if we are lucky maybe the coast too. This year I have spent a lot of time working in the garden. I want to do more hiking, but seem to run out of time.

This year my mom is having knee replacement surgery in August, so I am taking 2 weeks off to help her, and that ate up most of my vacation time. Will still do a few things fun though.

Wiped Out

Staff member
CM-I used to love fishing!! Haven't been in a really long time!!! I love hiking but have no one to hike with!!

KTMom91

Mostly reading and watching mindless TV, while sitting in front of the cooler. Summers around here are HOT and I rarely leave the house during the afternoons. Evenings, though, are great...for walks, Farmer's Market, sitting outside and watching the neighbors walk by.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
AC is saved as a treat due to the cost.

Cheap?

Yard sales. LOVE them, can't get enough.

Gardening........although my beds are overgrown and look a bit pathetic this year. Before easy child's accident it wouldn't stop raining long enough to tend them. Since her accident.....I just plain don't have time to tend them. I may be "grown up" but I still like playing in the dirt. lol

Taking walks.......long walks either with the grandkids or the dogs or both. (gets a bit hairy with both lol)

Used to love to fish. I no longer have poles.

Taking the grands to feed the ducks stale bread at the park. We have very friendly ducks.....so it's awfully cute.

crazymama30

WO, I drive my friends and family nuts, as I go hiking by myself. I always tell them the general area I am in, take my gps and cell phone, but cell phones do not work in many of the areas I go. I have hiked with friends, but honestly prefer to go by myself with the dog. I have had many adventures.

We don't go to the pool much, difficult child never did learn how to swim, and really just gets into trouble their with other kids and has ticked off quite a few adults there too.

Every year we have a bbq on the fourth of july, lots of fireworks, and it is fun. Seems many of our friends are taking different paths, so I am not sure if it will be as large this year, but hopefully should still be fun.

As for the A/C? We have yet to reach 80 this year, but trust me it will be on.

Star*

call 911........call 911
riding donkeys around the D.A. Ranch and brining in the herd. Git along little dooogies. Oh and apparently according to my furchildren I LOVE to throw that Kong.

Star*

call 911........call 911
But mostly what I like to to is put on my white deep V cut bathing suit - stand in front of my oak looking glass in my hooker heels toss my hair with the ceiling fan blowing whats left of my hair-----and pretend that I could really wear that poolside as I pick up a Tervis Tumbler of Crystal light lemonade and pretend I'm looking at all my CD board friends lounging around my mansion pool wondering how I have kept my girlish figure......:flirtysmile3:while I eat bon bons that don't go straight to my thighs.....

DammitJanet

I think this year Tony and I may take a few weekend trips to the beach... a slower more secluded beach with less families so he can fish and I can read my ereader. Probably just an overnight trip so we can do the pool in the evening before he fishes. Maybe a nice seafood dinner that evening.

other than that, I am going to slowly work on getting my house cleaned up and get all the Keyana stuff put up and away in her bedroom. i have been sleeping with a favorite blankie of hers and probably will for the next months to come. Other than that, I need to get her bed made up and new bedding and curtains and paint her walls. then work on the rest of my house. also i need to get the crocheting done for the new baby so that should take up much of my time.

trinityroyal

My favourite summer activity is to set the stick sprinkler in the middle of the back yard, turn on the hose, and play in the spray with the Monster Tots.

I also like taking Little easy child to the park, just the 2 of us. We tend to go in the evening, once the little kids have all been taken home, most of the children his age are home eating dinner, but it's still light out and the older kids aren't "hanging out" yet. I love the park -- have since I was a little girl -- and can't resist getting on the swings, climbing on the climbers, swinging from the monkey bars. I sometimes wonder if people think I'm crazy, since the other parents are all sitting on benches in the shade watching, while I'm hanging upside down by my knees from the play equipment, but it's too much fun to just sit on the sidelines.

And I'm very happy to know that Little easy child isn't totally mortified by my antics. Last time we were at the park, he said "I love having a mom who likes to play." It was one of the nicest things ever said to me.

Trinity

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Star, I do my dreaming in the winter...but dream big, right?

Trinity, I'm with you. Life's too short to give up the playground!

What do we do for cheap fun in the summer...this is where I'm the luckiest girl alive. We fish in the pond, make campfires in the yard, swim, put the sprinkler on the trampoline, ride the ponies anywhere and everywhere, grill out, camp, and play extreme croquet.

Our 'funded' summer trip is 10 days camping with a huge herd of friends and we try to make it to an amusement park once. And of course the local pool. Season passes are $30 and it's a great place for wee to have some social fun.

Star*

call 911........call 911
:likeit:OH TRINNY!!!!!!! THEY ARE NOT THAT BIG ALREADY!!!!!! AND HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! I tried to print their picture out - DRATTED photobucket! I'll figure it out~! Their other picture is absolutely outdated...lol

If NVTS is lurking SO IS EVIES!!!!!!

keista

Forgot to mention my all time favorite activity as a kid is the reason we're heading North right now for vacation. I used to go to a sleep-away Summer camp in Vermont. It was run by nuns and the 10 years I attended it was all girls. (boys had different weeks) It was also a Lithuanian cultural camp (I'm first generation in the US). So many great memories, and I made so many great lifelong friends there, that I so wanted my kids to have the same of not similar experience. Now they have a family camp there as an introduction for parents and kids, so both are more comfortable going to the sleep -away. My kids will never get to go to the sleep away because it starts right when school starts here :groan: So we go to family camp. Kids fell in love with the camp last year and have been eagerly anticipating it this year. I can't wait to get up there!

everywoman

My favorite activity is sitting on the beach at Pawley's Island. It is 15 minutes from door to shore---
I also love having my toes done at the salon. I usually do a pedicure early in the summer, and then have a polish changed every three/four weeks. A polish change is only $10 and it perks me right up.

crazymama30

It is really neat to hear about what everyone looks forward too and does for fun. So far I am taking difficult child son and a friend fishing today, and difficult child dtr to do something fun tomorrow. I would like to convince her to go to Crater lake, or up a scenic highway, but not sure that is what she wants to do. Maybe Crater Lake will happen next weekend?

And Star? I got a picture of you on a donkey herding Doggies (yes 4 legged with a tail) while the doggies wore crowns and tiaras and princess dresses. It is very amusing.

Star*

call 911........call 911
The best time I ever had in my life - in all seriousness? Camping with my Mom and Dad at a lake in our pop-up camper. When my Dad passed away? My mom allowed me to have the camper and we brought it here to SC, took it out twice and it was the weirdest thing sleeping in it without my family. Dude was at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) so it was me, DF and some friends. It's broken now -----but I won't part with it, hope to get it fixed and will keep it forever. I hope to take it back there to that campsite and go again take Mom, and hopefully Dude one day. Campfires, chasing butterflies, walks in the woods - fishing --playing softball - MAN-----what a life! Swimming - OH swimming with the muskie and pike.....lol. (it was a campsite joke - but one of the largest muskie got pulled out of there-----then it wasn't so funny)