What kind of cell phone do you have?

Lothlorien

I'm due for a new phone. Trying to decide which phone and if I should wait until June to switch carriers. husband has a different carrier for his job now. He has At&t. I have Verizon. I really don't think I want a droid, because everyone I ever talk to on one sounds a bit muffled. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Fascinate. It's an Android, but not the official "droid" I like Samsung stuff. I've heard the LG Ally has a lot of problems with shutting down, bad battery, freezing up, etc.

This would be my first 3g phone. I currently have an Env2. I don't know much. husband has a Blackberry for work and I'm not liking it that much.

What do you have? What do you like about it? What do you hate about it?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have an iPhone. I never asked for it and never would have got it for myself -- too expensive. But I have to say that I do really like having it and am kind of addicted to it now, lol.

H

HaoZi

I was supposed to renew my contract back at the beginning of the year, but AT&T bought out my cell company. I'm still holding out on the same service because I have heard nothing good from anyone that has switched over. I've been leaning an eye towards getting a Virgin Mobile pay as you go phone if I can hold out until tax returns when I can afford the phone I want from them, which is the Samsung Intercept.

For actual phones you have to figure out what features you want from it, first. Cnet.com usually has good reviews and side-by-side comparisons.

SRL

I have the cheapest Tracfone. I use it for quick calls only and do all my chatting on my landline. My kids have more expensive tracfones (around 30-40 I think).

My husband's phone is paid for completely for his work. When we priced out family plans and using tracfone the tracfone was far cheaper to do it this way. I buy one year cards for everyone when they have specials. The kids don't come close to using their minutes in a year so those roll over. I usually need to buy a card to add on minutes for my phone during the year.

What I like about it is that it's cheap and it's been reliable in making calls (except in Milwaukee--don't ask me why). It's a phone, so it does what it's supposed to do.

bby31288

If you want to switch carriers you do not get a new phone now. It will automatically put you back into a new two year contract with your current carrier (for verizon anyway) then you have to pay a termination fee. Otherwise, I have the LG Fascinate and I love it. No issues with freezing. Has some great apps. Here in Louisiana the largest carrier is AT&T, but my verizon works fine. The hardest part is when you go to tell someone you phone number, you have to say, oh it is an out of state number, because the do not need to use area codes here for dialing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have T-Mobile, and I have a Samsung Gravity. I love it. No problems at all except when my charger went bad (and that was my fault... Dropped the end in a glass of water...)

Onyxx has a Gravity, as well, and she has all kinds of problems with it charging. Of course, she's beat it to death.

husband has an Android, through Cincinnati Bell, and he loves it... I tend to fry touch screens though. Had a Samsung Glyde before, when we had Verizon, and had nothing but problems with it.

Josie

We have Sprint. I have the Palm Pre but I will replace it when I figure out what to do. A is the biggest cell phone user in the family and has the Samsung Moment. She likes it well enough that I am thinking I will get a similar phone. I just can't decide if I should do that or hold out for my contract to end so I can switch carriers and get an IPhone.

Fran

Former desparate mom
We have AT&T but I have an I phone. This is my second one. I like having e mail and texting with my phone. We virtually never use the land line anymore and it's really for solicitors and back up.
My mom has the Jitterbug phone since it's a simple cell phone.
difficult child doesn't want to switch from his old phone because he doesn't want to have to learn a new system. LOL.
I think you have to decide what you use your phone for and then make a decision.
My boys, just text to say "they landed" or "where r u". It's good to have that option.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I love my Droid. But if Verizon ever gets the iPhone as the rumors say they might, I might switch to that.

DDD

The most recent Consumer Reports issue compares all the phones. Perhaps you could go to the library and check it out or buy one. We aren't "into" cell phones so we prepay for minutes and only use it for emergency protection and occasionally for a long distance call. I scan read the issue and I do remember that AT&T was the lowest rated phone. Good luck. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
husband, Jess and I each have LG Neons. I would NOT NOT NOT recommend this phone. Short battery life, cannot use it while it is charging, takes FOREVER to charge if you do it on the computer, drops calls, doesn't always put voicemail through sometimes I get messages and missed call notifications up to 3 days late, etc... I had to get mine replaced because the display died and the replacement is very glitchy. The first one was a refurb and the replacement was new but the replacement is VERY glitchy.

husband has a four year old LG flip phone that he still uses sometimes. I had both a blackberry pearl and an older blackberry and they were both great, though I didn't do any online stuff. the internet rates are high here so we don't do that, but I would hate to have to text with-o a full keyboard.

I hope this helps.

KTMom91

I have a Samsung Gravity 2, and I really like the full keyboard. Hubby has a Blackberry Bold, and he loves getting the e-mail and Facebook updates all day long. I don't want to work that hard with a phone.

Star*

call 911........call 911
STAY AWAY FROM THE SAMSUNG FLIGHT - STAY FAR, FAR AWAY - I DISLIKE THIS THING SO BADLY - IT'S NOT EVEN GOING TO BE SOLD WHEN i SWITCH UP - IT'S GOING IN THE SKEET PULLER. (looks at phone with distain and watches it quiver....oh wait - that's a vibrating text) lol......I didn't have it set to vibrate - I had it set to ring - SEE? EVEN MY PHONE IS A difficult child. :groan:

DammitJanet

If you want to know everything about phones, call my son...he can tell you anything about any phone there is. He sells for ATT, Sprint and Verizon. Of course, most of the phones out there for other carriers are just clones of the phones for the big boys.

I have the Samsung Instinct. Pretty good phone for when I got it. Its only touch screen...no slide out keypad which I liked at the time because I didnt want the chance of anyone breaking off that keypad. I do think the next one I get will have a slide out keypad though.

I have heard good things about the Galaxy phones.

Loth...Im gonna PM you Billy's phone number so you can call him. He wont mind a bit. Call him after 9 tonite though so you wont get him at work...ok?

nvts

I've got the cheapest tracfone out there. I'd love to get one with a touch screen and the slide out keys though. Can't beat the prepaid - if I use 40 mins a month it's a lot! I hate the phone (worked for AT&T for MANY years and spent too much time on the phone, talking about the phone and hanging up the phone! hahaha!).

Beth

Nancy

I love my droid too and I always thought I would want to get the iphone when verizon got it but I'm not sure now. I love the android system, I can do virtually everything with it and I never pay for an app. The other day the electricity went out in easy child's school and we were there in complete darkness. We both downloaded the flashlight app to our phone and kept on working.

Nancy

smallworld

My husband has the iPhone through AT&T, and he loves it. I have the Samsung Intensity through Verizon. It has a full texting keyboard, which I use because my girls text me. A LOT. If Verizon gets the iPhone, I will be tempted to get it when I'm eligible for a new phone in about 10 months.

katya02

Solace
I have the Blackberry Storm with Verizon and all I can say is DO NOT get this phone. Mine has seized and died multiple times during my contract; has been replaced twice and they couldn't retrieve all my
data/contacts etc.; I begged them to give me a cheaper Blackberry instead but they wouldn't , so I've spent two years with this thing. It drops calls, randomly won't accept voicemails, simply stops various
functions suddenly and then goes back to normal hours later, has a terrible battery (dies by 4pm if you use the phone much at all; I charge it every night and get about eight hours' worth out of it); I can't
say enough BAD about this phone. Am waiting until April when my contract is up and I'll get an iPhone. My husband has one and loves it.

svengandhi

I have the free phone that came when I renewed our Verizon contracts. It's a simple phone with a full keyboard and a camera. I don't have an internet plan. I have 4 of them and oldest boy has a droid which he loves. I have no interest in a fancy phone, if I have to pay for it, I don't want it. My phone holds a charge for several days, the voice quaility is decent and it's easy to handle.

C

cmfout

I use Verizon and I have the LG chocolate touch. I love it, it's by far the best phone I've had. I've heard the same things about the ALLY, but my oldest has it and hasn't had any of the issues. It's what I'll be getting with my next upgrade.