What kind of cell phone do you have?

Nancy

Katya my husband has the Storm and he loves it. I don't know why because everytime I've used it I think it's very difficult. I keep trying to get him out of the blackberry because I think it's so limited but he won't.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Billy said that android Samsung Galaxy you talked about in your original post is a very good phone and you would be happy with it.

skeeter

husband and I both have Blackberry Curves (I need a QWERTY keyboard, no touch screen for me!). One son has a Nokia, other a Motorola (I'd have to look to see what particular phones). All are on Cincinnati Bell (it's great having a local carrier). We have all this bundled with home phone and internet.
It's not just the carrier that drops calls, it's also the phone that may have issues. When son #1 was in the Navy, we were told Nokia's are the best at getting signals when many other phones don't. He could sometimes get text inside the ship as long as it was in port.

M

Mamaof5

http://www.virginmobile.ca/

60 bucks a month, no contract, no hidden sudden charges and I get long distance, My 10, 250 minutes before 5pm and after 5am (in between is free) and incoming calls are all free no matter where they come from. Plus they have super tab where you don't have to pay for the phone right away, it gets paid a little at a time with your phone bill. I had to put a 25 buck deposit (Bell was asking for 800 deposit). unlimited text too! Caller ID, VM, the works.

trinityroyal

I use an HTC Android. I'm not entirely happy with the phone set itself (it was a first gen phone, and apparently the newer ones have worked out a lot of the bugs) but I love the Android O/S and was willing to put up with the phone kluges and glitches just to have access to it. This was the first Android phone that hit the market and was available through my carrier.

Motorola has come out with an Android phone and it is getting rave reviews. When it's time to upgrade my phone I will look at the available Android phones and make a decision accordingly.

My previous phone was a Motorola Razr and I loved it. Solid bluetooth connection, didn't drop calls even in remote locations. Keypad had great affordances for dialing by feel, and was backlit for in the dark. I'm hoping that whatever Android model they come out with has the same features I loved in the Razr with the Android O/S.

Lothlorien

Holy cow!!! Virgin Mobile is dirt cheap!!! $40 a month for 1200 minutes, plus unlimited date, text and email. :surprise: I think that's definitely my next carrier. I've got to ask my FB friends about it and see how good the coverage is here. I live in one of those areas that the coverage kind of stinks.

JJJ

Interesting thread...it is almost time for me to get a new phone and I want a smart phone...I think a Droid X...but I'm still researching. I can get the Galaxy free so maybe that one....

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm going to check into the phone Nancy talked about - THAT flashlight app and NO PAY apps? VERY appealing.

trinityroyal

Star, that flashlight app is available on any phone that runs the Android operating system. I have it as well on my phone -- it's a free download, and it's great when you need a flashlight but don't have one nearby
(An added bonus for girlies like me who like sparkly things -- you can choose the colour of the light. My favourite is the pink one, although it's not too practical for seeing...)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'll have to tell husband. He's always looking for the flashlight! But never without his umbilically-connected phone.

M

Mamaof5

Holy cow!!! Virgin Mobile is dirt cheap!!! $40 a month for 1200 minutes, plus unlimited date, text and email. :surprise: I think that's definitely my next carrier. I've got to ask my FB friends about it and see how good the coverage is here. I live in one of those areas that the coverage kind of stinks.

They are very cheap! I have a crappy service area too and I get 5 out of 5 bars all the time, anywhere I am!! Even at the local hospital that has electronics dampers on site for specifically for wifi and cell phone dampening. Still get 5 out of 5 bars for services! I love Virgin Mobile :)

H

HaoZi

I've pretty much decided they're my next carrier, but I'm looking at the $25/month deal (I don't call much, I've got a 400 minute thing now and have never gone over). Their web site has a coverage map. I'm rather irked right now that all their phones are 30% off, and the sale ends just a couple days before I get paid. But when I have the money I'm getting the Samsung Intercept.

Lothlorien

I have to wait until June when my contract is up. I was looking at the intercept too. I think I've decided to just wait it out and go with VM. I can't believe how much cheaper they are. Thanks for all the responses.

Lothlorien

Haozi, you should call them anyway. Maybe they'll work something out with you now and you can pay them after you get the phone and service set up.

DazedandConfused

I just upgraded from a Palm Pre to a HTC EVO 4G. husband has a Samsung EPIC 4g. husband LOVES his phone. It's 4g, HD, has the slide out keyboard and has a four inch screen. I miss my Palm Pre; the phone itself was junk (three stopped working on me), but the WEB OS operating system beats Android OS hands down. I loved how it would let me know if I had email or text messages and the running of multiple apps was seamless. I understand that HP bought Palm just to buy WEB OS, because it's so good, with an eye to compete with the IPAD.

Anyway, I have Sprint and it is the best company I have been with. I have been with Verizon, ATT, and one other I can't remember the name. I need a company that has a wide coverage range because husband travels all over the country.

Anyway, the good thing about EVO is that it has a huge screen for these aging eyes. It also has a virtual keyboard that one you are used to it, it works fine. But, to have 4g, it's 10 bucks a month extra for the data plan. Iphone costs 30.00 extra a month I think for the data plan. Iphone does have tons of cools apps. Android too.

H

HaoZi

The answer is no, they won't. HOWEVER, Radio Shack currently has some of the Virgin Mobile phones with even better prices (not all), and their sale ends AFTER I get paid (I'd have to order it, local stores here don't have them). Not the phone I want, but a great deal, so I might grab it anyway.

Last edited:

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
LOL I was kinda glad you asked your ? as I am do for a new phone (verizon), and now, after reading all the replies, I am terrified to go get one, LOL!

geekparent

Jumping in late, but I have an LG Ally and I LOVE it. I've never had any problems with lock ups or shut downs, except with particular applications. Then it's not the phone, it is the application. Even battery is manageable as long as you're willing to turn off unneccessary apps and the like. Naturally, if you're constantly on email and the internet, your battery is going to drain faster than if your phone is sitting idle. All in all, it's a great little phone and I'm glad I got it. If I had a complaint, it would be that it would be that Ally users are still waiting for the Froyo 2.2 upgrade (and that Angry Birds takes a long to load . . .)