what kind of meeting can I go to for support

jmama45

for my son's addiction? Alanon is for alcohol? and I do not see a meeting place near me. Where do we go to learn how to deal with them, how to NOT enable them, etc? Any info is appreciated.

meowbunny

I believe Al-Anon deals with both durgs and alcohol. If you can't find an Al-Anon group, I'd suggest you got to an NA (narcotics anonymous or even an AA meeting. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Also try calling your county mental health or possibly the police department. They might know of something.

DDD

Where I live the telephone book "government services" section includes self help group contact numbers for additions and domestic violence etc. Good luck.

Taking the first step is always the hardest. Many of our CD members have gained peace of mind and terrific information by
attending support groups. What a great holiday present to your family and yourself. DDD

Alanon also deals with drug abuse. It is fantastic. I go every Monday for myself and have been going for about 4 years. It has helped keep me sane. Currently my son is in jail. These people I know in Alanon are like my family almost. They are always there. WE go for each other. Look it up in your phone book and give them a call. Do it today!!!! :rudolph:

goldenguru

jmama~ I personally liked Families Anonymous. Just like the other programs it is a 12 step based recovery program for the families of addicts.

I have also heard really good things about a new program that many churches are now offering called "Celebrate Recovery". You might want to google it and see if there is anything nearby.

Good luck.