What low cost activities would you do if you didn't work?

BusynMember

I know I"ve been whining a lot lately. Sorry about that. I'm looking for suggestions from others and a good way to get answers is to find out what you personally would do, either alone or with others. My husband will be working for a long time...he is only fifty-seven, so I really have to entertain just myself and I do like to be around other people.

Looking for fresh ideas! :) I am considering going back to work by babysitting. But the idea of being saddled at home with kids every week makes me think I'd rather take another route. So far I am volunteering at a thrift shop (a bit boring the first time, but ok) and one afternoon at the humane society (I love to be around the dogs). But I do laundry for the humane society and it also smells there. One afternoon is enough. I joined a Friday morning Bible Study and am in Community Theater every other week on Thursday afternoons. I have therapy every other week on Wednesdays. Sounds busy, but it's not.

mom_to_3

Just throwing out some idea's...... volunteer at a nursing home, hospital, senior center, meals on wheels. I would think those places would have little drama. The library has many opportunities for volunteers, could be story time or craft time for children. Ask about being a greeter at Walmart. At our schools around here you can choose a "buddy" at the school usually elementary age that you visit with each week to be a friend and offer encouragement read a book. Hope that helps some, I know there are many more idea's!

L

Liahona

Research your family history? I've heard it can be very addicting. Learn how to tat, crochet, play an instrument, garden. Sorry, I'm a bit of a home body and my ideas don't include many other people.

InsaneCdn

Sorry, I'm a bit of a home body and my ideas don't include many other people.
Don't be sorry, you're in good company :D

Gardening - even a food-bank garden, if you don't want everything you grow.
Quilting, sewing, cross-stitch, painting (either art, or the house ;) )...
How about learning how to do your own auto-body work?

But you notice... none of my ideas are around people, either!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
crochet
garden
play with the dogs
draw / paint
volunteer at the dog pound
sew / quilt

Notice most of these don't have much involvement with other people. lol

Wiped Out

Staff member
Learn to knit! I just tried last year and am still getting of the hang of it but it is very calming and rewarding!

Also, I highly recommend physical activity of some sort; it really clears the mind. It can be very low cost if you are willing to take long walks (dogs love this too:)). Don't know if you have it where you are but our school district has a recreation program that includes programs for adults-dance, yoga, art classes, etc...at very low cost!!

BusynMember

Hi. Thanks. Guess there are a lot of loners around...lol. There is actually group gardening out here, but it's winding down due to the cold weather or I'd try it. I'm not very good with my hands, but maybe I'll try quilting or knitting. Can't hurt to try again, right? I think I will!

Lisa, I already volunteer at our humane society. And I work out about an hour a day so those two activities are covered. I also love to go to the dog park because, if I hit a time when there's a small group, everyone is friendly and welcoming because we all love dogs and it's easy to converse.

Slowly, I'm looking around to find options where the people I am around are not going to be ex-felons and ex-drug users who are apt to try to cause drama...lol. I think one of my biggest problems is what Susie talked about...my choice of people to be around.

scent of cedar

Hospice volunteer?

Karate class? I'm 61, and I have a lesson, this morning. :O) If not karate, Tai Chi? Tai Chi is so good for our spirits and our joints.

Cedar

Jody

Okay, definately gardening, even if its just your herbs, they are fun and super easy to grow. You can put them in the window sill and you can dry them and use what you can and give the rest to the food banks, they dont get a lot of the herbs and spices so sometimes food is bland.

I like to knit but have to do it with the loom kit. I got it at walmart. I like to make the hats they are the most fun, and yarn is fairly cheap, and you can make hats for the homeless and for your family. It is very relaxing and they turn out really nice, you can make mufflers for around the neck, i think thats what they are and I have one for a blanket, and then these knew things for like your wrist area, that dont have finger tips so you can text with your phone and stuff. Nice Christmas presents that you make yourself.

A big seller item that is kind of crafty, is old windows and people are putting different sayings in them and selling them, like Peace, Love, Happiness. Decals that you put in the window then paint the outside trim.

Maybe get involved in Tastefully Simple or something like that. Where you can be in charge of the party make a few bucks and see if you like any of the people that you meet and if you dont you dont have to see them. I dont know just throwing that out there and you could do it as often as you like or not often at all.

Im going to paint hubcaps into flowers for my fence next year and then I am painting rocks for my rock garden next year. I saw on someone's facebook page that they have a fairy garden and I might work on something like that, it was kind of cute.

Have you looked at Pinterest? Thats a full-time hobby. Love that site, all kinds of good ideas of stuff to do.

volunteering at the soup kitchen or food kitchen in your area is usually fun. It's work but it's fun, and also this time of year, or shortly they will need volunteers for the charity Chrismtas Programs.

Just a few ideas. Hope you find something in here to use.

DammitJanet

I will give you one hint...dont start Ebaying out of boredom, you end up spending way way too much!!! I have one entire wall stacked floor to ceiling with packages (omg!)

DammitJanet

Im in the club with the loners. I would actually love to live in a big city where I could people watch but I dont think I would join in things.

Hey, you could find board members near you and go meet up with them! You have always said you are so shy that you couldnt do that but you certainly sound like you are way more outgoing than I am.

Jody

another thing that they do in my city during the fall/winter months. Maybe they do too in your area. Our Michaels, Jeffrey Alans, and some of our Ace Hardwware's have very small classs teaching crafts. They do little things like Christmas Ornaments or bigger things. You would have to call the store to see if they do that.

Forget the babysitting! Just my two cents but you've been there done that, don't seem happy about doing it again. I think all of us who have the freedom to spend time the way we want to spend it, are not only extremely fortunate, but also that it should be considered a gift, to do whatever gives us the most satisfaction and happiness...

I know you said you already exercise an hour/day. Do you do this alone or do you take any classes? Last winter I signed up for two weight training classes/week. I'm still amazed at how much I enjoy them, given that the "old self" ("old self," one around while raising difficult children) would have hated them, lol... Another plus is that I've made several friends in my classes who have similar goals when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle.

I love decorating houses, always have, and am in the process of redoing our current home. Although decorating can be expensive, I'm doing it on a tight budget and having lots of fun searching for bargains. Someone mentioned some crafts you could do. You could design something especially for your house... I love buying inexpensive frames and filling them with picture collages of my kids, pets, fun places we've been to, etc... I love shopping for "treasures" at flea markets, etc...

I know you like to write and someone mentioned a book club. I think this would be a great idea. Plus, it might inspire you to do some more writing of your own. I used to love creative writing but as soon as life got tough raising my difficult children, all my creativity seemed to fly out the window. I've been thinking about getting back into it. However, I think I still need time, more distance from who I was just a few short years ago and who I am now, before I'll get back enough of the creativity I used to have...

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of volunteer work I want to do. I wish I was a stronger person because I would volunteer at an animal shelter. I can't because it would break my heart on a daily basis and I would need a case of tissues after every visit. It's wonderful that you do this! I'm thinking about taking a two day freebie class on hospice volunteering, to see if I could do this. I know, ridiculous! I think I might be able to help terminally ill people but can't deal with previously neglected animals.

Just a few thoughts that came to mind after reading this. Hope you enjoy whatever activities you decide to add, that they contribute to your overall sense of happiness and well-being... SFR

DammitJanet

Yeah...I have four people that I know of who live within 2 hours of me and I have only been to see one of them in all the years I have lived here. Well I take that back, when I first joined the board there were people who lived on the east coast from VA to GA and we all met in Columbia SC to have a two day get together. If Im not mistaken I think we brought the kids. I vaguely remember going to the zoo and I know I wouldnt have done that without kids along.

Around here there are a lot of opportunities to be involved in Al-anon both in varying levels of service and activities. We have gratitude dinner, workshops, speaker's marathon, conferences. The first three are free :donation only. Conferences can be inexpensive if you go in with others.
I go to two book groups, both free. One is from a library the other the History Center.
I also am involved with my church and we have at least one potluck a month.
I go out to lunch once a week after my Al-anon meeting.