What might cause one to suddenly be hot all the time for no reason?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I may as well be splitting wood - I am cooking all the time recently, and for no good reason. It's not intermittent. I'm hot. If it's above 68 and I'm moving? I'm sweating.
I don't really think it's anything to do with menopause because I've been on cbcp for years and am basically shut down. And I have gained a bit of weight, despite increasing activity levels...
Thyroid? Any ideas?

tiredmommy

I would get checked out and have a blood panel done just in case you have an infection, especially after your recent horrific injuries. It's probably nothing serious but better safe than sorry!

KTMom91

Apparently with me, it's the diabetes. I am :hot::hot::hot: all the freakin' time. Thyroid was checked last year. I am also gaining, sweating like a pig (we're past the niceities where ladies glow instead), and I'm exhausted. Still have the pressure in my chest and the numbness in my left arm occasionally, but don't tell Hubby or he'll haul me to the ER, and I don't want to go right now.

I have an appointment scheduled for the 31st, right after we get back from delivering Miss KT to school, so I have to have the bloodwork done this week. I suspect my diabetes is no longer under control. Sigh.

Marguerite

I hit 50 and hit menopause, almost to the day. But minimal hot flushes. However, the anti-hormone therapy I was put on as part of the breast cancer treatment caused hot flushes. I have since changed the medications, but I do get hot/cold at times. It's bizarre. Complicated, of course, by mother in law needing to run her house like a furnace. I cook dinner in her kitchen and the thermometer in there is registering 23 C, plus the warm air vents are blowing down on me over the stove. And she gets worried when I peel off layers of warm clothing to wear just a thin t-shirt while I cook! Meanwhile she's wrapped in a blanket and still shivering. It's still wintry weather here at night and I hate to think what her power bill will be like...

My vote on this is for some sort of hormonal imbalance. A blood profile would be a good idea. meantime - push your vitamin intake up, especially B group and C. Good for reducing body stress response and infection risk.

Marg

Stella Johnson

I have RSD/CRPS II (part of my nervous system is shot) and it causes me to have hot flashes and sometimes for days I'm just constantly sweating and hot. I can sweep the kitchen floor for 5 minutes and be sweating. What is even weirder is my left arm, the part of me that started all this, doesn't sweat at all. It overheats and has no way to cool down so I feel like it's boiling from the inside all the time if I'm too active or stay outside for too long.
The sympathetic nervous system regulates your body temp. Since mine is shot from the RSD my body temp is all over the place and uncontrollable.
I agree with the others about getting it checked out. There are so many things that can cause it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You are not alone. LOL

Seriously. easy child thinks mine may be thyroid related, she's probably right as that is a major issue in my family. Or may be kidney related.....as that is a big issue with me.

Mine is not menopause related. I've been past that for several years.......hot flashes vanished once I was done. Menopause was I was the blasting furnace of eternal flame.......but it took a LOT for me to sweat, thus made it next to impossible to cool that fire. Now I'm HOT, and like you I sweat like I've run a 100 mile marathon if I'm up and moving even in 60 degrees.

However if I've picked up weight, I'm not seeing it......I hover around the same weight all the time unless I have a huge water drop (then I lose more than 20lbs) Doesn't much matter what I eat.

I have noticed though, if I eat food with a high salt content, known or unknown, it's worse and it starts about a couple hours after I've eaten it. I avoid salt. Unfortunately sometimes there are foods loaded with it but you never taste it. So every once in a while it sneaks up on me and wham.......I'm miserable.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Really, Shari, you sound like me! I'm going for my bloodwork when I return from vaca. For me, it's likely related to my perimeno, but my dr is checking thyroid as well. I feel like I'm on fire sometimes and the smallest activity has me sweating like a pig, I've gained weight and, despite even my best efforts, it's difficult to shed it. And I'm tired but can't seem to sleep. I'm even sick of hearing myself complain about it, I can't imagine how my family feels! I hope you check in with your dr.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am voting thyroid, infection, or some type of RSD symptoms from the accident. once your nerves get all messed up you get all sorts of truly bizarre things happening. Don't just have them check the basic thyroid levels. have them check the thyroid hormone levels and also have them check the anti thyroid antibodies. real name for the test is anti-TPO, meaning thyroperoxidase antibodies. This tests for antibodies attacking the thyroid. There are other tests also - this link explains them fairly clearly: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/thyroid-antibodies/tab/test

My docs were shocked at the results of my anti-TPO tests because levels were so many thousands of times higher than normal. What it all means is that my immune system has killed my thyroid. This is the BESTEST autoimmune disease because the thyroid replacement medications work so well once you find the right dose. Most people are fine with the artificial thyroid -synthroid is the brand name. It is on the $4 medication lists at every store that has them. SOME people don't respond and they are changed to Armour Thyroid, which is a natural version. Still rx, of course, and it is more expensive but still is not hugely expensive. drugstore.com has the lowest level of armour thyroid priced at $14.99 per month and the highest level priced at $32.99, so the cost is not nuts, esp as this is considered a brand name around here at least.

Most of the time they just check the thyroid levels, just how much you have in your blood. Given the accident and all the immune system reaction to such a traumatic injury, I would at least ask for the other tests to be run.

InsaneCdn

Still have the pressure in my chest and the numbness in my left arm occasionally, but don't tell Hubby or he'll haul me to the ER, and I don't want to go right now.

KTMom - get to the ER. Or the cadiologist. NOT later. SOON.
Classical symptoms of heart attack and/or heart attack risk in females are NOT the same as in males ... THESE symptoms are in the classical FEMALE range.
More women die from heart attacks than men (in proportion to the number of heart attacks) - because they ignore the symptoms too long.

And maybe the same goes for some of the rest of you too?!
Exertion causing sweating, tightness in the chest, numbness... treat it as serious.

witzend

Menopause? There are times when I am hot all of the time until I move or think hard or laugh or get anxious and then the sweat pours off of me.