What music genre am I looking for?

DDD

It seems like almost all music is available via the net but I can't figure out what a missing type of music is called. Maybe you have to be older to know what I'm talking about. During part of the 60's or 70's there was "coffee house" music. It included Peter, Paul and Mary and one of my favorites was Donovan.
It was considered kinda hippie. I have an old CD or two but I want to know how it's identified so when I go on AOL music etc. I can pull it up. Anybody know what I'm referring to? Thanks. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its Folk Music, and you may want to try Pandora Radio on the web - I listen alot to Enya, and have a new wave station programed (it is free but I bought a subscription anyway)

Marcie

donna723

I always thought about it as Folk music too and I loved it! It was more the early 60's, pre-Beatles. Peter, Paul & Mary were my all time favorites, and groups like the Brothers Four and The Highwaymen, Woody Guthrie and Joan Baez. I loved the Kingston Trio, saw them in concert several times and had every album they ever made. Donovan's music was very unique and hard to label but he came along a little bit later, mid to late 60's. If you were looking for it by category, he probably wouldn't really be classified as "Folk" music, more in with some of the psychedelic post-Beatles later stuff.

skeeter

If you have Sirius/XM, it's the Village (62 on XM).
Besides some already mentioned, you can throw in some more traditional music such as Jean Ritchie and doctor Watson, some of the protest music such as Tom Paxton and Si Kahn and more folkies like John McCutcheon, Tom Chapin (Harry's brother), Bill Staines, Arlo Guthrie, and John Prine. I've seen every one of these in person, many several times. Jean has been to our house. Just worked with Bill last week.
If you want the names of some lesser known but equally talented folks, let me know. We work many folk festivals and I can point you to many fantastic accoustic players and singers. Especially if you want mountain or hammered dulcimer players.

DDD

"The Village" sounds like it's right on target but I'll search folk and explore the suggested Pandora Radio. Maybe it will cheer me up to hear old favorites. I don't know why I've always liked Donovan...maybe because he was unique. I'll report back, lol, after I have "found" what I'm looking for. I truly love almost all music except strings. I'm probably the only 70 year old who likes Rap (preferaby minus the vulgarities). Lately, howeer, I want to just listen to familiar and once loved songs and artists. Other days I wish I were young enough to go to "The Club" and "drop it".
:twister2:Thanks again. DDD

keista

You can also look up specific songs on YouTube, and they usually have a genre tag associated (sometimes several)