What recent revelations have you had that remind you that your "normal" isn't everyon

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Knowing better what medicines are in our cabinets and who's taking what at what strengths and when than what's in my pantry or refrigerator.

That at having 2 kitchen cabinets devoted solely to medications because there is no room to put them anywhere else.

Having psychiatrist/neuro at the top of the speed dial list.

When the kids were young I had absolutely nothing decorative on coffee tables or end tables.....nor most anywhere else in the house. Making it child friendly to rages. If it isn't there, they couldn't break it.

Having my kids ask for drinks/food because house rule was they couldn't go help themselves. This because Travis would literally eat everything in the kitchen.......Other parents thought this cruel. Oh, well.

Probably lots more.....

TM I can relate to Ducky loving second hand clothing. Nichole always has too...still does for the same reasons. I'm already seeing some of those issues cropping up with Aubrey.

lizanne2

Ok, I remember another one......

In preschool and primary grades, the kids were always quizzed on their safety information. They needed to know their address, and phone numbers.

The new safety information for my older children involves their medications and doses in case the need to go the er without me.

(Which actually happened at town football practice, thank god the coach who rode in the ambulance was the husband of difficult child's recess aide. difficult child was able to recite medications and remembered we were out of one)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Lizanne I think that's a good idea be it a family of difficult children or not. My kids all knew addresses, phone numbers, and full names of family members before the age of 3. They knew what to do in an emergency, who was to be contacted. They knew no one was allowed to pick them up from anywhere unless they knew the password.

easy child has finally started this with Darrin.....although now that he moved when he needed the info cuz they put him on the wrong bus at school...he gave his old address. Panicked when bus driver put him off at the old house. I told him once he was safe and sound at home that if it happened again to walk down the alley to Nana's house. (their old house is only down the alley from me) easy child is doing her best to get the new address planted into his brain.
Nichole is working on it with Aubrey as well. It's a daily routine for both easy child and Nichole.........used to be they'd make fun of me for this stuff......now they understand how important it is. :)

crazymama30

I got another one...not only do I know that my insurance has a stop loss on the prescription benefit....we met it....2 months ago!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hiding the sugar canister out of reach and the smaller sugar dispenser in the dish cabinet behind the center post to keep Jett from adding it to his sodas and froot loops. (Had to hide it before, to keep Onyxx out - she doesn't LIKE sugar now... LOL - diabetic papaw and friend, watching them stab themselves, both are type 2...)

Giving instructions one step at a time... "Go put your dirty clothes in the hamper" ...Wait... "Pick up the garbage off the floor" ...Wait... "Put the clothes in the basket away" ...Wait... "Put your shoes in the closet" ...Wait... "Take your garbage out" - follow - "Dump it in the trash can" ...Wait... "Take the trash can back to your room..."

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Giving instructions one step at a time... "Go put your dirty clothes in the hamper" ...Wait... "Pick up the garbage off the floor" ...Wait... "Put the clothes in the basket away" ...Wait... "Put your shoes in the closet" ...Wait... "Take your garbage out" - follow - "Dump it in the trash can" ...Wait... "Take the trash can back to your room..."

:rofl: Oh this is a veeeeerry familiar scene at our house!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
All of the above, when difficult child was younger. Scheduling our days was a HUGE one. difficult child always needed down time in between events and we often skipped certain outings or parties due to her need for prep time, down time, and planning.

These days the only time I even notice that our normal was/is different from others is when we're reminiscing about 'the good ol' days' (NOT), thankfully.

And most recently, my comments at the police forum made it glaringly apparent that our normal was different than many others' normal, especially the parents with wee ones whose difficult child-ness hasn't quite blossomed - hahaha. I always laugh real hard inside when I hear a parent say 'shame on me' should their kid misbehaves or breaks the law - one guy actually said that if the school ever found pot in his locker "then, shame on ME"! I almost peed laughing to myself. All I can say is that they better have their eyes wide open come the teen years!