What states should I try for??

klmno

As many of you probably already know, I'm now in a position to go for job openings in many different locations. I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing this down without narrowing it down so much that I only end up going for a couple of openings. I want to tell you what's important to me and get some input on states that might be a good place to live based on that, if you wouldn't mind providing some opinions.

First, I want warm weather in the winter- ok maybe not warm but I'd like to live in a coastal state that usually (not always) doesn't get below 45 degrees even in the winter. I love WA but it is too gray and rainy for me. Next, it has to be a coastal state. Then, ideally I'd move to a state where courts don't make my life harder due to difficult child's issues- he's 16yo old now. He'll probably be released from Department of Juvenile Justice sometime around his 17th b-day. I don't want to be treated like I'm the one on parole or get threatened with loss of custody or contempt of court if I can't make him meet his parole requirements- and they really do that in the state I'm currently in.

Suggestions?? There are many openings in California but honestly, I'm not so sure that with their major budget issues, things for difficult child and me wouldn't be horrible out there, given his need for a "real" transition into the free world.

Opinions?? Thoughts??

DammitJanet

Well...I will be honest..for a difficult child, live in my county. They cant get any more lax. They sure wont hold you responsible. Winter isnt bad. We may get snow one time a year most years. This year we got it 3 times but I think my dad sent it. It wasnt here long though.

klmno

LOL! OK- I nned to go by states so is NC a good state for me? I have been thinking I should put it on my "wish list". I guess I can just conveniently forget to tell my mother.

keista

I don't have any personal experience, with the courts here, but from what I have seen, STAY OUT OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, really can't express that strongly enough. Kid that had lived on my block is as close as I got. Yeah, kid was in trouble with the law. They were "holding" him for the maximum allowable 30 days for a minor. They wanted to keep (sentence?) him longer, so they just turned him into an adult. WTH? That's only allowed for arson and murder/manslaughter. This was possession, or a simple assault. (Sorry, I don't remember the details, but I do remember it sounded just as screwy at the time)

Then there was the kid (16 or 17)in the papers. He shot and killed his uncle, and less than 24 hrs later they were already charging up that electric chair for him. Other infor that was printed in the paper:
Uncle broke into the house and attacked kid
There was previous DOCUMENTED assault by the uncle on this kid
This was after FL passed the "make my day" law where if you are in fear for your life - even outside your home - you don't have to run, you can shoot and ask questions later. I guess that only applies to ppl 18 and over, or maybe just card carrying members of the NRA

Granted, papers don't always get ALL the information, right or otherwise, but from what I've seen the system just seems stacked against kids.

DDD

I'd stick to the East Coast where you are more confortable. It will be a **** shoot on Department of Juvenile Justice as it varies so from one section of s State Occupational Therapist (OT) another. How exciting to know that you are now free to seek a better life. Hugs. DDD

klmno

Maybe, but I've already put HI back on my list- I lived on a different island for 2 years before and in WA for several years so I figure I can handle it. I am going for one in the Difficult Child area- not because it meets my "wish list" goals but the job description sounded so cool I can't resist at least applying for it.

KTMom91

I understand your concerns about California, however, the services available vary greatly depending on what part of the state you end up in. Here in Central CA, we have very little in the way of mental health care services. The Bay Area and LA have more available, though I don't know how difficult those services are to access. Yes, we're in a statewide budget crisis, but if you're considering CA at all, see what each county has to offer.

witzend

I would look at some of the "Best places to live" "best places to retire" "most livable cities" lists. They'll give you a fair idea of what to expect from cost of living, traffic patterns, medical availability, etc. You already know what you want from weather and geography, take that and add it to the other more practical stuff, and you should have a really good idea of what's out there.

FWIW, the Seattle area is outrageously expensive. Portland, too but not as bad as Seattle. Salem isn't as bad, but you have to be certain to get into a decent area there as it is, of course, the home of the state prison.

klmno

Good points, Witz, KTMom, and Haz- thanks! Witz- how's the average weather around Portland? I've gone thru the area a couple of times but have never live in OR. How does it compare to Seattle, weather-wise?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well, if you've enjoyed reading all my adventures with state and county services...

then you'll LOVE South Carolina (NOT!).

Nice place to visit, though...

DDD

I just have to add that it breaks my heart that Florida has turned into a scarey place for teens. DDD

witzend

Good points, Witz, KTMom, and Haz- thanks! Witz- how's the average weather around Portland? I've gone thru the area a couple of times but have never live in OR. How does it compare to Seattle, weather-wise?

Well, if you asked anyone this year, they would say "stay away unless you don't mind 11 months of clouds and rain". We're generally a little drier than Seattle, and our summers are quite nice. But we are in the Pacific NW, and we definitely have our dreary months.

DammitJanet

I would worry about any of the 3 strike states. Cory would be gone for life right now. SC can be bad about something which is why we left. We advised Cory not to move there...lol. They dont play. Im sure there are places in NC that are tougher than were we live but our county is very lax. Probably because law enforcement is well...I wont say. Lets just say we have a former Sheriff who ended up in federal prison in a sting.

klmno

VERY good point, Janet! OK, I think I have it narrowed down to four states plus one job only that I'd apply for in Difficult Child simply because of the job description and then the openings in the small area of MD that is south of Difficult Child. (I know that area will still be a little colder than I'd like but it has other bennies to compensate for it.) This should leave me with 50 or so that I'd seriously consider if I got a tentative offer. I don't want to narrow it down more than that at this point because with nationwide competition, I'll be lucky to get 1-4 calls.

Thanks, all!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Do NOT listen to Daisy face........lol.........it's all an illusion.......come here........buy my house..........buy my house.

Actually you'd probably LOVE Charleston. But Columbia is pretty nice......er.....I mean WONDERFUL for you gov't types. LOVELY weather.

DF - thay be a kickback in this fo' you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
NOT HERE.........He hasn't been here for almost 2 years!

(said in my worst Ricardo Montablan voice)

COME BUY MY HOUSE!

DammitJanet

Difficult Child is a nice place. Actually the place Jamie lives is great. I love that area. I like the small town but big city feel of the areas up there. Its a unique feel.