What to do about dry mouth?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by flutterbee, Oct 3, 2008.

1. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

It's a bit more pronounced today than usual. I've drank so much water, my eyeballs are floating - or should be...they're dry, too. Now I've moved on to Diet Coke. The water wasn't working anyway.

Is there something - food or drink - that will at least take away the feeling somewhat? I feel like I have a mouth full of cotton. Food or drinks I should avoid?
  2. klmno

klmno Active Member

Does gum help? Or sticking a red licorice in your mouth but not chewing it up?
  3. mrscatinthehat

mrscatinthehat Seussical

I would go with the gum. That always used to help me. Course now I am addicted to the stuff.

4. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

ice chips are given to patients in the hospital.
  5. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Ice or water do nothing for me....sometimes hard candy helps me. There are these specialty things...I think they are over in the mouthwash isle...its like a spray...you can get. Also they have some maybe glycerin lozenges...same principle.

With the possible Sjorgens go check out that spray and lozenges. I cant think of the exact name but if you search around you will find them. They are specifically made for dry mouth.
  6. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Ok....try drinking cherry juice...and also...

Biotene gum

Oral Balance
    These should all be available at a drugstore or walmart.
  7. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Hard candy. The best thing I've found.
  8. SRL

SRL Active Member

Diet caffienated soda always makes my mouth drier. Caffiene has mild diuretic effects.