What to do about my 3 yr. old son

mammaof2

I am a mother of two young boys my oldest is 3 almost 4 and my other son is 2 1/2. I have been having multiple problems with my son oldest son since he was 18 months, with multiple ear infections he had to get two sets of tubes and then after that he started having loose bowel movements and he has those to this day I have changed his diet and done other things. He is very smart for his age I think however the littlest things he has a hard time doing he refuses to use silverware and still uses a tippy cup and potty training is a absolute nightmare. He is also very destructive with things in the home he has cut up screen windows and cut up curtains he has even broke things in my car (rearview mirror). He is also very defiant.
He gets frustrated very easy with things he can not do, also he is very hyper. And has a sleeping problem he does not go to sleep until very late between 1:00am to 4:00am everynight. I have him in a special school for this behavior problem and he is on medication for sleep risperdal tablets. that do not work all the time. We tried melatonin and that only worked the first night and then did not work again, then we tried trazadone and that did not work either, then we tried ridilin and that did not work either. sorry for all the writing just very frustrated and concerened about my son and what is going on with him.

mammaof2

Neruo development said he was borderline ADHD, also a psychiatric. from he's school said the same thing and he pediatrician. said he could possibly be BiPolar (BP). or have ADHD they say there not sure because of age. but I have not seen no change for the better

Lulu

Mammaof2, welcome. I totally understand your frustration. I have no advice on the medication front, but just wanted to say hello to you. We haven't had my son evaluated yet. It seems to be a difficult thing to do properly, especially with very young children that some doctor's are hesitant to diagnose. I think some of the old-timers on this board may have some more advice about getting your son evaluated again, and who is best to seek out to do the job.

Good luck! It is so frustrating, I know.

Josie

Have you tried removing gluten from his diet? If not, I would take your son to a pediatric GI doctor and ask about celiac disease because of the loose bowel movements. You could also try removing all gluten from his diet to see if it improves. It would be better to try to get it officially diagnosed so you were sure about it and in case you ever needed documentation. If you can't get a doctor to do the test or if the test is negative, then you could just try it.

My younger daughter had that problem when I started giving her oatmeal as a baby. Her celiac tests were always negative but her condition improved on the gluten free diet. Since her tests were negative, we were not strictly on the diet until she was 8. Then I had a different test done (one not approved by mainstream doctors) that showed she was gluten intolerant. We have been on a strict gluten free diet since then and her stomach issues are improved. We also ended up having to cut soy and casein from her diet.

Her sister did not have the stomach issues but did have behaviour problems. The same test showed she was gluten intolerant. Removing gluten (and casein) from her diet eliminated the behaviour and mood problems. She was very defiant and aggressive when angry at home.

It could be that his bowel problems and his behaviour problems are related.