What to do, home search....

buddy

I have been touring and making more appointments to see new homes for us. There are important things to consider because of Q's needs. I dont need beautiful, I need it to work.

I just got notice of my rent increase so total I will need to pay 1545 per month on a 2700/month income (well after I start having my pay come back to normal, aarrrggg. in aug.)

So here is my dilema. I have to give two months notice if I move. All of these rental agencies will only hold a place for thirty days from the deposit so I can't apply for anything I see until a month after I give notice!

My problem is, do I just give notice and pray there will be an option for us in a month when I can finally apply? My lease is up last day of july. I can't apply till last day of june then.

What would you guys do? And in the mean time I have to see who can help me financially to even accomplish this move. I have a couple of kind people to help with some things...that is a blessing, but it all has to be covered or I can't do it. Q's worker is looking for support but not sure. She said she might be able to help with a deposit. That would be amazing. My sister will let me use her credit card for app. fees, etc. Thank heaven.

There are some real possibilities, I wish I could pay two places at once for rent but that is NOT going to happen.

Both places I have worked with the most have said that they feel other places will become available in July but wow does that cut it close. I asked MN disability law and she said that MN law says if you are between houses/homeless I guess, then your current district still has to service you so if I couldn't find a place I could do storage and stay with my sister for a month until we move I suppose....it would be a month of hell for them but at least I would not have him out on the street. That is so a last choice due to the hardship on them and Q transitioning so much.

Would you take the risk? Just make the decision and do it? Or do I suck up the increase and hope to get a job in fall? (assuming Q does well in his school still)

It is so stressful living here with him with all the kids around and not being able to go outside. These other places have private attached garages (we have a separate one and underground community parking). If it i s attached I can close the door and we go in our apt without distractions.

I just dont know, I'd really love to be able to move for Q, our situation, and to help us financially.

InsaneCdn

I'm not going to tell you what to do, But... maybe some sorting?
What I'm hearing is...

Where you are:
- rent is going up
- parking is a problem, because it is common, not "attached"
- (not stated, but might be a factor) distance to new school
- (from prior posts) attitude and behaviour of some of the kids in this compound

Looking for:
- less rent
- attached garage
- location that accommodates to some extent the distances to school, appointments, riding, etc.
- fresh start

Challenges
- how to move only once...
- without paying rent on two places

Hmmm...

I'm not sure I'd want to take the chance and risk it. If you have a difficult time finding a place you might be staying with your sister longer than a month and that could be difficult for Q as well as everyone else.

I would spend a little more time trying to find a community agency that would be willing to help with costs of moving and that overlapping months rent before I made that leap. What about St. Vincent de Paul or a local church? You don't have to be Catholic to get help from them.

Hoping you find the perfect place for you!

I say take the risk...Luckily you do have people to help you finance, and luckily you can stay at your sisters, not the most idea situation, but do-able for a month. Hoping for a new job in the fall will be a load of stress, you don't need that. Tell the angency your dillema, you may not have to even wait the thirty days. It will work out.

T

TeDo

Take the plunge!! If you find a place that you REALLY like and will really WORK, let the agency know about the time thing and that you can't afford double rent, etc. MAYBE they'll hold it for you???

It will work out the way it's meant to work out. Since there are some good ones out there now, go for it. Go looking. Things will work out.

L

Liahona

Good luck Dee, sorry I don't have great advice. We haven't been great on the housing front.

Ktllc

If it were me: I would risk it. I know you don't want to create any hardship on any one, but you have some help today. One never knows what will hold tomorrow. Your sister would survive, otherwise she would have not offered. You and Q have been through a lot and I'd like to believe that you are actually pretty resillient. If it puts you in a better position in the long run: do it. Slow agony because of financial difficulties is not exactly all rosy.

witzend

I would give notice, and tell them that if they would care to negotiate on the price you'll reconsider. After all, they have to go to the trouble of painting, cleaning, showing, etc., to get the place rented. Besides, your landlord isn't really going to rent it until you're gone. Then I would get on Craigslist and start looking. You can come back to him with a counter offer if you have something comparable in hand.

I know that rentals are really getting expensive these days. You have to play hard-ball with them.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd ask who you're renting from if you can, at the end of your lease, switch over to month to month instead of a longer lease. You can explain that you just can't afford the rent increase, but really don't want to leave them sort of hanging either. (it doesn't, but you know what I mean) This is what Nichole is doing. They're house hunting to buy, have been for a couple of months now. They haven't found the perfect house yet, but it could be anytime really and their lease is up in the fall. Their landlord has no real issue with them going month to month once their lease is up. (then you've "officially" given them notice you intend to move, just not the exact date)

I lived in rentals clear up until I bought this house 8 yrs ago. I've often left in the middle of a lease or at the end. I give as much notice as possible, and make certain the place is as close to perfect as I can get it once I'm out. It's just never once been an issue. Even when I've had them tell me it's going to be an issue, after the fact.......it's not an issue.

Right now, it's a landlord's market. They're not going to be hurting for renters. (which is why your rent is going up) So I doubt it's going to be an issue. Give them as much notice as you can and snatch up that new affordable great place. :)

T

TeDo

Wowsers!! Guess that's NOT an option huh? I would DEFINITELY give notice and be done with them!

buddy

Three thousand? Holy koi...you could make a house payment for that amount.

I know right.....they double the rent you pay for month to month. (yes I am paying 1504 right now and that is why even going down three hundred and having a better working situation for us will be amazing). I dont mind being house poor for his sake but not able to b uy food or gas is too much. I hope I can get an apt for 1000. My rent will be going up to 1545, not as big of an increase but this month I have had that bogus tax bill t od eal with and my hourly rate went down. Only profession in the world that you are guaranteed a decrease in pay every year--thank you legislators, why would anyone in their right mind go into the caregiver profession of being a PCA. No wonder it i s hard to find good p eople.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
HOLY MOLY! :faint:

I was choking on the 1545 per month! OMG

Maybe you should move here. I really nice 3 bedroom will run you about 450 per month. (unless it drastically increased in recent months) I used to pay 600 per mo in Dayton for a 3 bedroom townhouse before we moved here more than 15 yrs ago. I thought that *hurt*. sheesh!

DammitJanet

Rentals are outrageous. I know you said that the school is a little distance from you, have you tried looking nearer the school? Also have you tried looking for a smaller house or even a mobile home in a park or on a private lot? Sometimes those are cheaper than an apartment. Mobile homes tend to rent for cheaper everywhere I have ever lived. I truly think that if Q had a yard it would be a better situation. Might not be in the best part of town but...they also might not freak out with behaviors either. If I got shocked every time I heard a kid call his mom the B word I would have whiplash!

klmno

I feel for you. I'm going thru something similar and as you know, couldn't make this work in Mar./Apr. when I was trying to find something. Now I have to move to relocate for this new job so I have no choice but to find something affordable and within a reasonable distance to the job. Yes, it is extremely stressful and the actual move is no picnic either. Pray- that's all I can offer (or meditate if that works for you.)

witzend

Your current rent is more than my mortgage, insurance, and taxes on my new house. Is there anything at your credit union or bank that would help you get into a house?

buddy

I have nothing for a down payment on a house, wish I did. I have asked about buying but that is a ways off. We do have some mobile home parks, I have looked at them, most are owners only around here though. I would love to move closer to the school, especially since therapy, horse back riding and now this new therapy center are ALL in that area. BUT 1. his funding a plans are in this county and they are one of the few that are doing pretty well with their money for this...it is supposed to be consistent within the state but having moved I can tell you it for sure is NOT. I am thinking of when he is out of highschool, this county has a ton of programs. and the biggie is 2. the district he is in is not a stand alone district based on where you live. It is a Special Education district that is bought into by districts all around. So, our district bought a spot for him. IF I leave they have no obligation to pay for that spot. We would be at the mercy of another district (who was not afraid of a lawsuit) and they could say, no we have a program here that will do just as well. I just can't move him again. Not yet.

Went to see a couple today, one was already rented and the other was very small, cute but shared a back patio that was teeny and there would be no way Q could handle consistently being appropriate. You literally can reach out the door and touch their door. it was SMALL. NO green space till much further away.

This woman is going to try to keep looking for an end unit in our budget, she has kids with autism in her extended family.

DammitJanet

Okay, then look for a place like I suggested in your county. There have got to be mobile homes for rent in your county. Have to be. I have never seen a place that didnt have any. Have you checked craigslist? How about posting an ad yourself saying what you need. Maybe someone will reply. You can always check them out. You never know when there just might be a person out there that happens to read your ad and decides they want to help a person in need. Happens all the time.