What to expect at psycoeducational evaluation?

tjg4god

just me
Good afternoon all!! Well the doctor called and has set up a psycoeducational evaluation for difficult child 2. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect at this seeing as he is only going on 4. And any tips for this stuff would be greatly appreciated. What are they checking for? Will this tell them if he has Aspergers or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? Thanks for all your help guys. It is so great to have people who understand on your side.:D

BusynMember

Depends on how indepth the evaluation is. It's easy to miss a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or not think it's there if the evaluation isn't long and involved. We had ten hours of testing.

tjg4god

just me
Well from what I understand it is with a psyc. doctor and I know the testing is split into 3 different appointments. Not sure how long each appointment. is but does this sound in depth to you? I am kinda out of my league with this. My difficult child 1 had the ADHD evaluations and all that but never any educational stuff. I am worried that doctor does not think difficult child 2 will be able to function in a regular classroom. I just hope they will keep me in the loop about what they are thinking.

SRL

Do an internet search on the name of the doctor and the clinic and find out what the credentials are behind his/her name. Some psychologists focus more on the behavioral or neurological aspects while others on learning/educational aspects. If he's 3 and there's a concern for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) I'd be surprised if he were referring for the learning/educational aspects only. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but you want to make sure all bases are covered. I'd call the doctor back and find out his line of thought on this. Evaluations are very costly and time consuming so you want to make sure you're on the right track.