What to get someone who has everything?

Lothlorien

husband's dad ....tough one to get gifts for. I saw this patio heater and thought....there's a good gift! Sadly, I called husband and he said no, because he's going to build a deck for him over the coming spring. Dang! Things I've gotten for him for Christmas in the past that he really liked were 1) sound bar for his tv, 2) a Bluetooth outdoor speaker so he can listen to his music outside, 3) an MP3 player. Of course, when I got these things, husband was like huh? But father in law likes technology, whereas husband is clueless. So I'm looking for the $100 to $150 range. Got any ideas?

N

Nomad

I've been looking at Brookstone catalog, national Geographic, hammer shlammer lol...will fix later, Solutions....these are fairly good catalogs and I imagine websites for interesting, creative choices.I struggle with husband as well.

trinityroyal

Nomad, I was also going to suggest Hammacher Schlemmer. It's my favourite catalogue. They have unusual gifts in all price ranges, and a lot of cool tech gizmos.

This is the link to the Canadian site, but I think you can get to the U.S. one from there. (P.S. I really really want the Helicycle, but I don't have a spare $300K lying around. Or a pilot's license for that matter...)

Trinity

N

Nomad

Hi TR...I just found my catalog, but you beat me to the correct spelling! They have some things that kind of interest me...a wireless iPhone photo printer and the acupressure foot massager. And brookstone has a personal air purifier you wear around your neck! (See my other post about allergies!)

Another website for gifts I like is Personalization Mall...they have a few good things for men, but it is slightly better suited for women.

Good luck Lothlorien....keep us posted, as I said, I've got the same issue going on here!

trinityroyal

I can't believe I forgot ThinkGeek! (and I was just shopping there the other day).
They're having a 30% off sale for the next day or two as well.

susiestar

Roll With It
Experience gifts are awesome. A few years back father in law gave stepMIL a hot air balloon ride. She was over the moon. Think about what he likes, then go to university calendars, museum websites, various city and group websites. Also check out Groupon for his area. they have some neat things sometimes. There is a cafe here that only does chocolate and they had a groupon for a class and another for products and it was cool and a great deal.

Also think about magazines for things he enjoys doing. A while back my dad was really into photography so we gave him a year of 2 different photography magazines. He loved them. If you go to the various magazine websites (like bestdealmagazines.com or whatever, NOT the site for the magazine itself), you can often find them for FAR less than the price in the flyers in the magazines. One year I gave six different families each a year of family fun for $30 when the best deal that family fun had would have been $60.

After you order the magazine online, go to the bookstore and buy a current copy of the magazine. Wrap it up with a note about a full year coming with the issue.

A really cool idea would be to set up an experience that he could enjoy with you or with his grandkids. It is a gift of both the experience and your time.

I had a great aunt who was the tightest tightwad you could ever know (she would dry paper towels if she used them to dry her hands or a piece of fruit she had ashed etc... for reuse, and cut her depends into five or six pieces that she put masking tape on so she got more out of them. And those were not the most extreme things!). She did not like to talk on the phone. She liked to write letters but when postage went over a quarter she thought it was too expensive. My mom would buy 100 stamps and put them on envelopes. Mom addressed some envelopes to each of the relatives so that GreatAunt would not have to worry that her handwriting was too bad for the postman to read, and she left some blank also. Those would get used because otherwise it is just throwing money down the drain, lol.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Jamie who is a hugh techead said, when asked, that he wanted a fitbit watch for Xmas. I looked at them and for him its ideal, especially since he is into walking, watching his diet, etc. And you can download it to your computer to show your stats. May get one for myself although I really don't want to know how little I actually do during the day :)

Marcie

Lothlorien

Still checking those sites. Thank you. Still undecided. He's so tough. They are going to an island in January. He volunteers a lot to keep busy.

witzend

I finally found something that I hope husband will enjoy. He likes my tablet cover because it props the tablet upright like a laptop. His on his I-Pad 1st generation only folds in a way that makes the tablet elevated at the back.

So, I got him what they call and "origami case" which holds the Ipad upright and holds a wireless keyboard, and a wireless keyboard. I think he will be happy with those. I should get him something more personal, too. I'll wait until later when there are some late sales on.

Lothlorien

Cool Witz.

father in law just got himself a new laptop. He has a droid phone. I had thought about getting him a kindle fire or something, but I doubt he'd use it. His girlfriend has a mini notepad/tablet thingy with keyboard.