What types of methods do you use to de-stress?

I really wish I could meditate or do yoga. I start laughing. My mind wanders, I can't get in the zone. I relax with music, it transports me right way. I love wine and my Nook as well.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I surf the net or read. I've tried meditating and did well with guided meditation, but on my own, I can't shut off the chatter in my head. Heck, I have trouble stopping my brain from spinning in circles so I can sleep.

I sometimes watch TV to wind down, but lately, I've been in a place with my mental health where I can't concentrate on TV or reading. I try to walk as much as I can, but I hurt my back a few days ago and the inactivity is killing me. I feel like my brain is running on a wheel like a hamster, LoL!

BusynMember

I use tapes on YouTube. I can't do it myself, but I do know how to relax my muscles without help. That's really been a good skill.

svengandhi

I tell my husband off in my head and win every argument. Then I put a big fake smile on and go downstairs to deal with him. We very rarely actually argue in person, just in my head.

When I need to totally clear my mind, I play online solitaire. I play only one go through so I rarely win but when I do, I cheer and go on to something else.

trinityroyal

I work out like a fiend. Strenuous exercise, 5 or 6 times per week. Cross-fit, sprints, heavy weight training...that sort of thing. Rather than de-stressing me, the exercise seems to make me much more resilient to stress.

Other things I do are:
Try to see the silly side of everything. It really helps, especially with those who take themselves far too seriously.
Knit and crochet.
Iron. I love the process of ironing. In my own little way I'm bringing order to chaos. Ironing is anti-entropy. Until I burn something, then it goes on the silly-things list.
Try to have a rational conversation with small children. I think this fits in with silly-things too.
Read, although sometimes reading is stressful too if it's a thriller or other high-adrenaline story. I get so swept up that I'm in it, panicking, fighting or whatever along with the characters.

witzend

When I listen to the meditations stuff - "sit upright", "be aware of your body", "close your eyes", etc. I just want to tell that calm positive voiced woman to go take a hike. If I could sit upright the last thing I'd want to do is be aware of my body. As for closing my eyes, I can't do it without tape or a mask, so...

BusynMember

LOL Witz! Funny :)

I actually find it soothing, but that's me. Now I'll be thinking of what you said when I listen to the meditations and I'll be laughing!!!!

Californiablonde

I have tried meditating but I'm not very good at it. I can't seem to shut off the incessant noise going on in my head. To de-stress I like to read a good mystery novel, take a warm bath, and sip a hot cup of chamomile/peppermint tea. Wine is also good on ocassion but only on the weekends my kids are at their dad's.

N

Nomad

Read, surf the net, call a friend, go shopping at Target or Walmart, sit down with a cup of coffee and plan my day or next day....once in awhile get a manicure or a pedicure.

scent of cedar

I've been reading Simple Abundance again. I read it first thing in the morning, to take my thoughts out of those old, negative patterns.

Yoga is excellent. This program used to be on Fit TV. I bought the tapes, and do the classes daily, from home.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4sbRBghZ1k

I take a Tai Chi class twice weekly down South and a karate class up North.

Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts are a funny, shocking, cool series of books that will have you thinking about yourself as a full-blooded, attractive woman with a great sense of entitlement, again.

:O)

I think that's all I do. I meditate. A Buddhist meditation on love. You hold your hands over your heart and say the following:

May I be well.
May I be happy.

May I be peaceful.
May I be loved.

Then, you do that same exercise thinking of someone you do love. (May so and so be happy, etc.)

Then, you do that same exercise thinking of someone you have a problem with.

And that's it.

When I am really upset? I eat! I love to eat things I shouldn't and read. Or, eat things I shouldn't and watch Beverly Hills Housewives for hours and hours.

Have they taken that show off? I never see it advertised any more.

Journaling helps me remember that I am trying to live a life here, and the days are flying by.

Cedar

BusynMember

Cedar, I have of course seen Yoga, but, believe it or not, I'm not sure exactly what it is or what it does. Would you be kind enough to explain?

scent of cedar

Sure :O)

There are all kinds of theories about why yoga is a good thing. All I will tell you is what I know from personal experience about why I think it is a good thing to do, especially during times of stress. You know they say the body holds stress in the muscles. A yoga practice stretches and reinvigorates all the muscles and joints, and we let go of it, a little more every day.

So, that's one benefit.

Especially with the series I have been using, the music, the scenery, the expressions on the faces of those demonstrating the positions, the voice of the moderator, the way each session ends ~ all these feed into a strong, happy, relaxation response. I have done this for about 5 years, now. What I found as I learned the positions and was able to concentrate on being present during the sessions is an incredible feeling of strength and well-being. I like to do yoga in the morning, just as the sun is coming up. I am generally alone then, and it's an extraordinary thing. An excellent beginning to the day. Whatever is happening, if I continue my yoga practice, I get through it better. The other thing I would say is that practicing yoga, though it looks effortless, will make you very strong in your muscles. I think the flexibility that comes with practice gives us grace and strength and balance as we go about our day to day lives, too.

There used to be a program called FitTV. That is where I discovered this series, and how I came to begin it. If you want to try it, MWM, before buying it, I think they carry this series at the library. You could check for it online. I know some of the programs are on YouTube.

You know what the other program I did was?

Belly dancing.

Cedar

witzend

I used to enjoy Yoga for stretching before my balance got so bad.

Today as I was eating I sat at the table listening to the tree frogs and/or crickets. I've always found that to be a relaxing sound and they never seem to stop here. husband and I haven't decided if they stop in the winter, and have vowed to make a point to listen for them. I began to visualize them out there in their environment, and found it very relaxing. I will have to try that again when I am not trying to stay awake! I think that the Beatles are responsible for my love of that sound - very relaxing!

Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol - ( loosely translated ) My love silences the; world’s annoying buzz like a green parasol

Lothlorien

A good cup of tea (and/or a glass of wine :winks:)
Listen to my favorite books on audio. They take me into someone else world and out of my own.
Read.
Crochet.
Walk.
Hot bath and soothing music.

I can't do meditation. I have the most bizarre and disturbing dreams after meditation. Creeps me out.