What was your marriage proposal like?

susiestar

Roll With It
husband and I met on Halloween. At a party, a costume party. I was thin and cute and dressed as a very "uptown" witch. He came with his best friend and his wife, dressed as a dog. When he walked in the best friend's wife was holding his leash.

2 weeks later we had spent every day together. He looked down at me and said, "You know we are going to get married." I made excuses about studying (I was in college, he was/is 12years older and out of school) and left quick, fast and in a hurry!

We continued to date, and somehow the girl who set us up started to interfere and was lying to each of us about the other. I took a "break" to figure out what I was doing.

2 weeks later I had an ultrasound showing I was pregnant. 4 MONTHS pregnant, and CLUELESS about it.

I was leaving town the next day for a visit to my aunt, who had JUST had a baby a month before. I called, asked if I could come over, dressed up and went to see husband. He thought I came to break up, and had asked his roommate to leave us alone for a bit.

Instead I gave him a copy of hte ultrasound picture. He asked what it was a photo of. I told him, "Your son."

He got the BIGGEST GRIN (You all know - the "I'm the MAN!" grin) and asked stuttered a bit. He asked if I had any plans, and told me that while he wanted the baby, he would support me no matter what emotionally, financially, and in any other way he could. He knew about my trip, and I asked for the 2 weeks to think.

I came back and we spent a week or two together, trying to figure out what was best. He then told me he really really wanted to get married, and had since the day he met me.

As he drove me back to my parents' house, I told him I would marry him, we just shouldn't wait too long. I couldn't imagine life without him.

We picked a date a month off - it fit in his parent's travel plans and my parents work schedules.

The wedding took place at the Unitarian Church, with our families, his best friend and his wife, my best friend and her fiance, and my aunt and uncle (dad's sister and bro - who drove out together, leaving their spouses with their children).

Then, we had a PARTY at my parent's house. I wore the top to my wedding dress (that my mom made for me - finished it 2 hours before the wedding!) and matching shorts, husband wore a tie-dye Tshirt, shorts and Teva's. The best man (his best friend) brought his golden retriever, all our friends and family and family friends there. It was AWESOME, and perfect for US.

We had beach balls instead of balloons, frisbies with our names on them and the date instead of printed napkins or other things, and a big yellow canopy in the backyard. The tables had paper and crayons on them, and we have a great tablecloth made from fabric that everyone signed with sharpies. I still have 2 of hte beach balls and 3 frisbies!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well now that is an interesting question. I am on my third. This is one of those things that I look back on and shake my head.

My first propsed about 30 minutes after I told him I was pregnant. He took me to a park and out on a bridge at a lake close to our homes and as the sun was setting asked me to marry him. This was pcs dad. This really surprised me and I accepted as I didn't want to have a child alone (the naivety of youth). As I did it all alone anyway.

I met someone else while I was going through my divorce. We ended up moving in together. I was working he was not (that should have screamed at me along with many other things). I came home from work and was listening to the messages on the answering machine and he was one of them. Telling me where he was blah blah blah and oh by the way will you marry me came next. I stared at the phone and replayed it several times. Of course after the ring got on the finger I discovered a whole new land of abuse.

I have since had those marriages annulled so .........

My real proposal happened on Christmas Eve of 2002. We were exchanging grown up gifts. We were living with friends at the time. husband brought me a box and stayed at my feet. I didn't think anything of it until I opened the box and he took my hands and asked me to marry him. He said he had asked the kids & called my step dad and asked for my hand (I sat there and cried my eyes out ). Of course I said yes. He had been separated from his ex for many years but hadn't file for divorce so we had to wait until that was final. We were planning for a fall wedding with a rennaisance theme. Well when his divorce was over in November he said he wasn't sure he wanted to do that. So I waited and on December 14 he told me he wanted to get married on the 21st and I said of what month and he told me that one. So I planned our wedding in a week and we had it at my sister in law house as she had it decorated for Christmas. The song that ended up playing while we said our vows.........Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Of all the songs that had to come up during that time but it is our song. We had pumpkin pie for our wedding cake. This year it will be 5 years.

What I am looking for is the honeymoon one day.

Beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
Did you get that idea from me? Actually, I tried that, we sent out the 100+ invitations, bought everything, scheduled the day in my family's garden. Then husband's best man told him not to marry me, so he called it off. I left, but we still saw each other, and I ended up pregnant about 4 months later. He said, "Well, I guess we should get married." I bought the rings so that he couldn't back out again.

We had been together for about 6 years. I didn't 'need' to get married, but the laws in CA were pretty specific about common law marriage. Oddly enough, eveything we had if he died would go to his ex. That REALLY annoyed me. So, we did the court house thing. It actually was kind of romantic.

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
If you ask husband, he'll tell you that it was either marry me or lose me. We had had a conversation within a week or so of when we decided to get married. I had basically said that at that point in my life I didn't want to waste 4 or five years on a relationship that wasn't going anywhere. (I was all of 23 3/4) husband had been married twice before but neither one made it to a year. First one lasted all of about 6 months and the other was just under a year.

We had started dating just after Thanksgiving of 93 but never had an "official" first date. He hit on me in the bar I was waitressing in but couldn't get me to give up my number so he gave me his. I finally remembered to call him about a week later and decided that he would meet me at the bar one night that I was working. After I got off work that night we went for breakfast, talked and pretty much spent every spare minute together after that. We moved in together within about a month and a half and at the 6 1/2 month mark or so, we were talking about what to do with some extra money we had. He worked for Breyers at the time (I married the Good-Humor man! LOL) and the company had been bought out. For some reason, everyone got their 401(k) money and instead of reinvesting it, we spent it. After we got it, he turned to me one day and said that he wanted to go get our rings. Um....ok. So we went to the jewelry store, picked out rings and then went to work! LOL (We both worked second shift at the time) We got married a year later, almost to the day. Twelve and a half years later, we're still here!

Sue C

Well, I met husband when I was 14-1/2 years old. He was 16. He said he knew the minute he saw me that he was going to marry me one day. I did not feel the same way. My parents made us "group date" 'til I was 16. Then I was allowed to date alone with husband. We saw each other all the time. For me, it wasn't falling in love at a certain moment. It just kinda happened over time.

Then we started talking about being married one day without asking each other if we wanted to marry each other. We just knew God had brought us together and that we were the only ones for each other. We talked about wedding plans. We talked about honeymoon plans. We talked about how one day we would have a daughter and name her Angela.

At 17 husband said he wanted to buy me an engagement ring. I told him I thought I was too young. I told him I wanted to wait 'til I was 18, which was April of my senior year of high school. So, on my 18th birthday we went to a romantic restaurant and he presented me with my diamond ring (which I had picked out--haha). He didn't get down on his knee or anything 'cuz we already knew we were going to get married. But we wanted the night to be special.

We got married when I was 20 and husband was 22. Here we are 32 years later. Oops! Just gave away my age. hahahahaha

sue

tiredmommy

husband gave me a cute teddy bear holding a red satin heart on Christmas Eve. The engagement ring was tucked between the heart and the bear. After I saw the ring, he proposed on bended knee.

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband and I were very good friends and sharing an apartment-had known each other just over a year and did everything together. One night we were at a friend's wedding and some friends asked if we were dating or just friends. husband told them they were putting us on the spot.

That night we went home and talked about it and got engaged. Then we had our first kiss. We were married just over a year later on his parent's 41st wedding anniversary.

Meh, the proposal was rather uneventful. I knew it was coming. I got my mom's engagement ring (it is GORGEOUS). The wedding was funny. Matt & I were driving over the road. We had a delivery to Oakland. We stopped in Reno, got hitched, slapped a "Just Married" sign on the back of the trailer, and went about our merry way.

Most of the truckers that saw our sign were offering their condolences to us over the CB.

susiestar

Roll With It
I remember, when trying to decide whether to marry husband or not, trying to see life 5, 10, 15 years down the road. I just couldn't see my life without him - not as being happy and loved.

We met 17 years ago on Halloween. I was right - he IS still here!! That was my fear - that we would get married because the baby and not have enough to hold it together and stay loving and in love.

Here we are, still very loving, still much in love.

Thanks for this thread. It is neat to remember and to read everyone else's stories.

Susie

ps. My parents met in college when my mom was on a 1st date with another guy (friend of my dad's). My dad proceeded to cut the guy out of the date, and said later (and still says) that he knew the moment he saw her that she was THE ONE. I think that is cool.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
husband & I met on New Year's Eve 20 years ago at the University Bar & Grill in Seattle. We were both on our way home from our respective holiday celebrations (duds) & stopped in there because it was close to our bus lines. (We were headed in opposite directions).

I saw my hairdresser at the bar so sat down next to her & started chatting; turns out that she also did husband's hair & trimmed his beard weekly. She introduced us & then got left out of the conversations - poor lady. Or maybe that is what she intended????

husband & I spent the rest of the evening talking - then riding the bus lines. husband rode the line until I got home. He got my address alright but wasn't aware that I had an apartment on the top floor of a women's shelter. Even if he had wanted to get into visit it would have taken a background check & an act of God. I found it amusing - husband not so much after a while into our relationship. :talkhand:

I fell into this apartment by good luck - great rent with the promise of I forget how many hours of volunteer on the first 3 floors of this shelter along with some of the highest free security in Seattle. The top floor apartments were beautiful with great views of Lake Union.

husband proposed to me February 16th - I didn't believe him. Kept asking if he was kidding me. He finally convinced me & I accepted. We were married that coming September - almost 20 years.

Good, bad, rich & poor. I think so far we've honored those vows.

Marguerite

I'm struggling to type right now, I'm in bed with laptop and extension cords everywhere, not supposed to be out of bed after today's liver biopsy.

BUT - I have known that tonight difficult child 1 was intending to propose to girlfriend. easy child 2/difficult child 2 & BF2 dropped in on them at girlfriend's flat 'to give them a bottle of non'alcoholic wine" so when she got home she could come in and tell me, "girlfriend said YES!"

I will give you details when he gets home, and when I can sit at the computer and type more freely.

Marg