What would you think about.....

mstang67chic

Going Green
....registering difficult child for graduation gifts for his apartment?

Typically, you get a lot of money for graduating. With a difficult child however, that just isn't a great idea. I don't have a problem with him getting SOME money, just not the typical level. BUT....while he's going to have everything he NEEDS or can make do with for his apartment...there are still things that he wants but doesn't want to spend the money on now. Or things that he'll make do with what he has but wants a different version of (dishes for example).

I wouldn't tell EVERYONE about the registry and it wouldn't be anything expensive. The dishes for example....I have a mostly full set for him and he's planning on using them. But he really wants to eventually get a black set. Walmart has exactly what he wants for $20...that's the type of thing I would put on the registry.

What do you think?

Andy

I didn't know you could do graduation registries. I love that idea! Lower cost items are easier for those who want to bring a gift but don't want to spend a lot (a neighbor, distant relative, family friend). That would be perfect!

Other ideas would be gift cards to movie theators, bowling, movie galleries, ect.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You can do any kind of registry you want!!!!

Just make sure when you tell people about the registry? You tell them why, too. LOL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think its a great idea.

easy child used his graduation money to offset college expenses.

difficult child 1 got on a $1400 drunk.

flutterby

Fly away!
I think it's a great idea.

I was 8 1/2 months pregnant when I graduated, so everything I got for my graduation had to do with baby stuff.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You do realize you can do a registry at wallie world right? (thinking cheap)

I think it's a fabulous idea!!! And maybe one that will also catch on with other parents who may have kids who will be going off to college next fall. :D

KTMom91

I think it's a great idea. What is it with the black dishes? Miss KT wanted some, too. I found almost an entire set at Salvation Army for 50 cents a plate, 25 cents a bowl.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think gifts are better than cash or gift cards.....JUST for THAT (points above) reason.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That doesn't include the better part of a half a beef that he used to "supply" every going away party he had that year, I think...

DammitJanet

stang, a registry would be even better considering he is on SSI. Hey....maybe he could get enough in registry stuff so you guys could get him the scooter with his check! Dont forget to put clothing items on the registry. He will need undies and socks and jeans and stuff like that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
About those black dishes... XH and I loved them so that is what we registered for. Pfaltzgraff Midnight Sun. I got to keep them when I left...

Mattsmom277

I think thats a great idea!!! I am going to steal it next year for my difficult child now that you have brought it up. He'll certainly have need for money (here's hoping he gets his first job over the summer!!!), however he'll be needing things for getting started in his own place. Congrats on your difficult child's graduation by the way. A wonderful milestone!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
What would you like to know about it? lol

He got about half of that for graduation. The rest, he actually saved from selling his calf and his short stint working. He was "saving his money for something special".

Turns out, that something special, was the going away adventure of a lifetime. He blew it all the last week he was here before boot camp. Most of it that last weekend. Most of it drunk. 90% of it partying.

JJJ

This is our plan for Kanga. She can't get cash (by then she'll be on SSI) so we're going to have her register for stuff for her (hopeful) apartment.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I looked at Walmart online and their registry has baby, wedding and........voila!......WISH LIST!

I talked briefly with difficult child about it and I think it's a good idea too. I just wanted to make sure others didn't think it would be tacky or rude. I told him though that if there are things on the list that he still wants after and no one buys...he can occasionally pick something, go buy it or save for it (whichever the case may be) until he has it all. It can be his own personal goal sheet for his apartment in a way.

witzend

I think it's a great idea. I'd put it in with the announcements to people that you suppose are going to get a gift.