What Wynter said in WC...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
OMG I wanna scream.
difficult child had behavior therapy and psyche appointment today. BT thinks evaluation report is bogus (the one that says he's got all these Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) symptoms, but they're all caused by his ADHD). Her take on the determination that he's not on the spectrum based on that report? "He meets criteria, but not really. Huh?" (She's as confused as I am.)
Psyche appointment immediately followed that, she has not seen the report, but still maintains she sees Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). Continued to talk about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) behaviors, ability TO pay attention (she has legos in her room), etc. Feels adhd MIGHT be part of the problem, but is NOT the big picture. difficult child has had 3 really good days, so she HAS added BiPolar (BP)-not otherwise specified to his diagnosis.
And basically every additional therapy the evaluation report added is a different offering of the in-home behavior therapy that he's already getting.
So, boils down to...MH team still want additional therapy that DevPed team has power to provide but is refusing because they don't agree on diagnosis. This whole evaluation, that was supposed to "determine once and for all" what is going on with difficult child determined that yup, they all still don't agree. DevPed is sticking to ADHD; MH is sticking to spectrum disorder. I'm sticking to that was a heck of a lot of money for nothing and I'm a little ticked off.
Did I metion I want to SCREAM!!!!
easy child 2 gets to go the the company picnic, tho. Her mom gave her he!! about it, but she's here and we're heading out. I'll think about all this junk tomorrow.

klmno

It sounds like they really don't know and each person is throwing out their theory. I am sorry you have to go through this- I can understand why you are so frustrated- I don't blame you for wanting to scream. Hang in there- something will give- chances are that it will become clearer to everyone as time passes. That probably doesn't make you feel better, I wish I knew what to say and could make the time pass faster to the point where it is clear what is going on with the little guy and all of you could get the help you need...

M

ML

Can I join your club? I think my husband has both Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and BiPolar (BP) but to a very mild degree. I think it might have been Fran that called it "a brain wrinkle". That works better for me than anything. That or fragile genetics.

F

flutterbee

Ugh! How frustrating! Anyway all of these various professionals can get together and talk rather than just reading each other's reports?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. this must be beyond infuriating. Can you ask dev pediatrician to give the services that go with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) a try? Each medication is a try, why not see what the services can do? Would that work with him? Or do you need to fire him and find someone who can play nice in the sandbox with others? I will help you write a letter if you want (not that you are not capable, but that sometimes having someone not so close to the situation helps - and I have gotten lots of results from MY docs by writing letters outlining/summarizing what tests have shown and what I want.)

I would urge some kind of action, and start lining up another doctor to take over care, because as you know, the earlier the intervention, the better the person with a spectrum disorder fares in life.

What does teh insurance co say? Can they advocate for you (or will they!)? What about contacting NAMI and asking for help, even legal help if you self-pay. Maybe research to see what ADHD medication company has this doctor on the payroll??? Or is giving him big trips???

It may be time to go with MH if they can write prescriptions and provide services. Or find another dev pediatrician practice?

I am so sorry the Dev pediatrician is such a problem.

It is wonderful that easy child 2 gets to go to the picnic with you! I would DOCUMENT her mom giving her he(( so that if she wants to come live with you, you have some ammo.

Hugs,

susie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Shari,
I'm sorry it is so frustrating! I would be frustrated too! Do the different therapists and psychiatrist ever talk to one another? Sounds like it would be a good idea if they could confer with one another.

TerryJ2

Arrgh! I hear you. The more you know, the less you know.
But how can these people make informed decisions when they haven't seen the report?
Never mind. I'm sure that's a rhetorical question ...