What's cooking?

everywoman

We've done this before, but I thought it would be fun to do again.

What is your traditional New Years Day meal.

Here we have hoppin' johns (crowder/field peas and rice cooked together), collard greens, pork (I'm having some BBQ left over from Thanksgiving that we froze) and biscuits.

The hoppin' johns are for good luck and the collards for money!!!

What about you?

jal

I don't really have a traditional meal, whatever sounds good is what's on the menu! Tonight it's sausage and spinach pie and a tossed salad.

SRL

We don't have a traditional meal today, especially as we're usually stuffed full from the New Year's Eve party we typically attend as a family.

However, I did make up roast beef and gravy for the freezer a few months ago thinking I would use it on Christmas Eve. We didn't so I pulled it out today and it's in the oven now. I'll serve it on rolls with salad and frozen pears as sides.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No "tradition" in the kitchen here, either. Although some years we get together with husband's family for pasta.

I was going to cook some t-bones last night, but everyone wanted to just nibble on snacks since they all ate a late lunch. So I'm cooking the steaks now for a late afternoon lunch.

Tomorrow we're getting together with husband's family at Olive Garden before his parents drive back to Texas (via Vegas, of course! :rolleyes: )

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
No "traditional" foods here....

Went grocery shopping today and happened to catch the baker as she was pulling freshly made sub rolls out of the oven....AND they were having a sale on lunch meats....so I bought some fresh baked rolls and an assortment of deli meats and we had homemade submarine sandwiches.

And tonight we are planning steak for dinner...

And I have a batch of cupcakes in the oven for dessert.

Mm-Mmmmmmmm

Mattsmom277

Nothing traditional here either for new years day.

I have a homemade meat pie I thawed from the freezer this morning that I've got heating in the oven. We will have it with fresh cut veggies and dip, fresh dinner rolls, and homemade apple pie with- ice cream for dessert.

I, however, since reading this thread, am craving roast beef in the worst way. Thankfully I have one in the freezer, which right now I am taking out for dinner tomorrow. YUMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Made mimosas with the leftover champagne from last night and had them with our late lunch... :) We're enjoying a very lazy afternoon. The younger two are outside playing with neighbor girls, difficult child 1 is finally well-medicated and quietly playing his DSi in the LR with husband who is watching the Rose Bowl. I'm trying to get the last of my holiday cards out...!

klmno

Normally difficult child and I have T-bones on the grill (my favorite) and crab legs (his favorite). Due to him not being home and money issues, I didn't do that this year. But since I didn't celebrate TG or Christmas with any tradition, I did pick up a couple of steaks that were on sale and got two for what one T-bone would cost. I grilled them this evening and can eat on them for a couple of days. I'll have the typical baked potato or steak fries, salad and garlic toast with it.

The roast sounds good- so does BBQ. difficult child has had corn beef and kraut in Department of Juvenile Justice and I'd never fixed that. He liked it so I'll need to try to find a good recipe- if anyone has one that is a hint. LOL!!

Marguerite

New Year's Day is less important here than Australia Day (coming up on 26 Jan). However, we do have some sort-of traditions.

Cold chicken. Ham. Salad. Whatever it is, but cold, with salad, often between two bits of bread. Or a barbecue, with snags (sausages), lamb chops or steak. The snags are generally beef.

However, if there's a total fire ban (common here in summer) then the barbie is off.

It's 2 Jan here today, but yesterday we had salad sandwiches for lunch. I had ham, home-made mustard and cheese, grilled for lunch.

For dinner I made a fast meal - satay prawns with vegetables. A good summer satay should make you sweat so you can cool down. I had mine with brown rice, I cooked white rice for the others. difficult child 3 doesn't like prawns so he had some leftover sausage rolls (also my home-made ones) and a salad.

No alcohol - just lots of tea and coffee, including my summer favourite, Greek-style Nescaf frappé.

husband worked on our kitchen bench (we're getting the new cooktop put in on Tuesday, he's got to make the hole that fits) and I painted an outdoor window frame. In my swimsuit.

Today I'm making foccaccia, we have this toasted on a sandwich press, usually with ham, cheese and tomato. A great summer meal in a hurry.

Marg

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Pennsylvania Dutch tradition dictates pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day so that's what I had.

YUMMY!

Suz

DammitJanet

Im confused. How on earth are you folks supposed to have good fortune with money if you dont have your greens? LOL.

You have to have your greens...we prefer yummy collards...so that the upcomming year will bless you will green money. We were always told the black-eyed peas were for the coins. LOL.

SRL

Im confused. How on earth are you folks supposed to have good fortune with money if you dont have your greens? LOL.

You have to have your greens...we prefer yummy collards...so that the upcomming year will bless you will green money. We were always told the black-eyed peas were for the coins. LOL.

So we had salad out of a bag. I figure that should cover us. :alien: