What's the difference between Dollar General and Family Dollar Store?

KTMom91

Both are coming to our little town, both will be the first in the area, and I have no idea what the difference is. We already have 99 cent store and Dollar Tree; are these just more of the same?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, basically the same ideas for all, except I believe the dollar tree place sells everything for a dollar. The family dollar, etc., have cheap items but not everything is priced at only a dollar. My nephew worked there and I once asked him why everything wasn't a dollar-he sighed and complained that he has to explain so many times a day that they are not the dollar tree! Hahaha.

keista

No, they are more expensive. They are both very similar. I only shop there when I need some quick odds and ends and don't want to haul all the way across town to Wal-Mart.

InsaneCdn

We have various "dollar" stores around here... MOST of them use that term, to indicate even-dollar pricing... and even then, they do split a dollar. But most things are $1, $2, etc. And priced "tax in".

The differences are usually in the range of products carried... one of ours has more cleaning-related stuff, another has more personal-care stuff. The second one doesn't have mop-pails and dish-basins, but does have great little organizer-boxes and better selection of hair stuff... Only ONE of them has electronics-related goods (ear-phones, connector/size correction pieces. etc.). We find it pays to get familiar with all of them.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Personally, I only shop at the Dollar Tree. I like their things better. Very rarely do I wander into the others. And our dollar tree is PACKED all the time, so obviously I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm not saying the other stores are bad by a long shot, but they tend to be more expensive, and they do tend to carrying other things too.

We're teeny here and we have TWO Family Dollar stores (they just built a new one, didn't close the old one) Dollar General AND Dollar Tree. Dollar General does fine because it's right next to HUD apartments. The Family Dollar on that side of town probably doesn't do too bad for the same reason, still within walking distance of the HUD apartments. Although it's never got many people in it, nor does the new one. Not like Dollar Tree.

DDD

Truthfully I forget which store I frequent by name...just refer to them as "dollar stores", lol. But in our town there is a big difference. The dollar tree and everything a dollar are just that. The one I use has popular food items (dairy, cereal, canned goods, snacks, beer, wine, pastas etc.), household products (paper goods, detergents etc.) , basic clothes like tees, bras, kids clothes and a section with personal hygiene items. According to articles in national mags they are taking Walmart customers away...and there are select things I purchase there for maybe twenty percent less.

The "other" store has only some snacks and colas, some toys etc. and just doesn't meet my needs. It's worth checking them out for items you use often. DDD

donna723

I live in a very small town too and we only have a Dollar General so I'm not sure about the others. Ours is large and has a nice selection of products. I go in there at least once a week. I probably wouldn't buy the clothing or shoes but there are things I can get there that are routinely cheaper than to buy them at the grocery store. Brand name 2 liter soft drinks are $1 and most cereals are at least a dollar cheaper there than in the grocery store. Cleaning products are cheaper there too and also the brand name cosmetics, soaps and shampoos.

DDD

Just remembered, lol, they accept coupons and they have weekly flyers which include five dollars off your next purchase of twentyfive...I think. DDD

muttmeister

I live in a rural area and the town where I shop (7 miles away; I have to go every day to take my mother her medications) has a Dollar General. We also have a Pamida and at least once a month I trek the 75 miles to shop at WalMart and Sams. The Dollar General is where I buy most of my cleaning supplies, dog treats, and just miscellaneous cheap stuff. It is not quite as cheap as WalMart but it comes very close and, with the price of gas, it is cheaper. They do have some groceries and they are MUCH cheaper than the locally owned grocery store...maybe a little higher than WalMart but again, good for us.
Our Pamida has a lot of stuff I use regularly on recurring sales and they also meet any advertised price so that is good. THey've just been bought out by ShopKo so I hope the change will not ruin a good thing.