What's the girlfriend/CF Diet?

geekparent

I'm new here and have seen references in signatures, but don't know what it is. I also did a search, but it pulled up a lot of misc. threads because the abbreviation was in the signature. What exactly is this diet?

JJJ

It is a diet that eliminates gluten and caesin. Gluten is the protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Caesin is the protein found in dairy products.
Most people also eliminate all artificial dyes/flavors/preservatives as well. We aim for 100% natural.

In some children, the consumption of these foods can cause behaviors that look like mental illness, autism, etc.

We have had huge success in my home with this.

JJJ

It was more expensive at first as we had to replace all our staples (ketchup, flour, etc). And there is a learning curve.

I emptied the house of all 'bad' foods and then completely cleaned the kitchen including taking apart the toaster, etc.

Now that we have been on it for almost a year, it is only about 10% more expensive since we focus a lot on in season fruits and veggies and watch for any sales on rice noodles.

A friend just suggested we contact the local restaurant supply store about getting girlfriend flour in bulk for cheaper.

cfa3

Haven't been to this forum for a long time, love it though. Every time I pop I remember I need to visit more regularly.

girlfriend/CF was one of the first thigns we tried for my son. I dont think we did it right though. I wasnt careful enough and I only did it for a month or so before giving up. I have heard tons of good things though and think it is worth another try done right. What Im wondering is, do you all think that it could help a child who's disorder or set of problems IS neurological? I.E., a problem in the make up the brain and its chemicals? I hope Im making sense. I always have questions with the "what is it" issue - it is neurological, environmental (i.e. including food intolerances)? It is both? Good luck to everyone who tries this diet.

JJJ

Cfa3 - Yes it is worth it to try.

You do need to make a 6-month committment to see if it will work. While the caesin can get out of the system in 1-2 months, gluten takes longer. Every week double-check for hidden sources of wheat/caesins/artificial ingredients (you'll be amazed).