What's the "norm" for your kids taking "stuff" to school? (in this case, rocks)

LittleDudesMom

Depends on the stuff. If he has a few small pebble-sized rocks that he treasures, I don't see a problem with him taking them along in his backpack. However, I think I would ask him how he would feel if he lost one or one went missing - maybe he will feel it's not worth the risk of loosing his precious rocks....

Sharon

Malika

Ah, that explains it - J's pockets are often full of small pebbles!
He is not allowed to take anything extraneous to school. They say it causes arguments... (other children wanting whatever it is, etc). But since that is France, that is not actually of much relevance to you :)

keista

I don't let the kids bring "stuff" to school because the school doesn't like that and I'm concerned it would get lost or ruined. Too easy for "stuff" to go missing. On rare occasions they have days where kids can bring something in, like on pajama day they can bring their favorite stuffed animal. I've always managed to talk them out of that and talk them into bringing something they wouldn't get too upset over if they lost it or got ruined.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He bought a geode over the weekend. This mainstream class actually just finished a unit on rocks, so he came home yesterday and said his teacher said he could take them. He's wanted to take other things and I've made him ask before, and he's always come home and teacher said no, and that was that. but this time, he said she said yes.

He ended up forgetting the geode, but had a piece of another geode that he remembered. It never got to mainstream classroom, and he was told by someone that he can't take things, and they seemed to not send a very happy message to me about it. So I emailed classroom teacher, and she's planning on him bringing the geode in. She thinks it will be neat for the class to see how it looks before it was broken open, etc, and a good continuation of their unit.

So apparently all of his "people" need to get together on how they handle this sort of thing...just wondered what was the "norm".

InsaneCdn

Norm is... check with teacher first. If teacher wants to work it into classroom learning, then it is AUTHORIZED. But, of course... safety of said item cannot be guaranteed.

InsaneCdn

Oh, ya. I forgot.
We're dealing with THAT school district.

<ugh>

I can give you all sorts of logical reasons and approaches and stuff.
But you're working with a totally illogical team.
And I cannot think illogically. Can't be done.

Probably your problem, too, right?

L

Liahona

I have difficult child 1 get it in writing before hand. But Insanecd has a very good point.

trinityroyal

difficult child used to take things to school all the time, some authorized, most not. The Head of the Guidance Dept used to collect everything and put it in a basket with difficult child's name on it. She kept it in her office, and about once every 2 weeks or so, husband or I would swing by the school to pick the works up.

The school had a high difficult child-to-easy child population, so they were pretty understanding of this sort of thing. Can't really say what's "normal".

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's a good plan, Trinity.

I think I will just send a general email to all asking them to give me one point of contact to ok things that come in (or not).

Marguerite

I'd take the geode in for him, then take it home again. that way it stays in your custody and won't get confiscated.

difficult child 1 had a favourite stick. It was actually a fragment of Xanthorrea stem (grass tree - a moderately common plant here) and he loved it because it was smooth and straight. He took it to school and the teacher threw it away into the garden. difficult child 1 came home upset, we went down to the school and the teacher showed us where she had thrown it, said she hadn't realised it was a special stick he'd brought for show and tell, but sticks are not permitted inside. At least we got the stick back. It's still around somewhere...

difficult child 3's pockets were always loaded with pebbles, sticks, bottle caps, interesting broken bits of glass and coloured plastic; I keep an ice cream container in the laundry and empty out pockets into this 2 litre tub. Sticks and stones that are not specific scientific specimens get put in the garden. Same with shells.

Marg