What's up with this heavy metal!?

lovelyboy

Does any of you experienced your ODD kid to be very much into the whole heavy metal thing? My son lately loves the electric guitar, screaming ect....and he is only 7yr old! OMW

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Nope, we haven't yet been blessed with that preference! LOL

Maybe there's a sensory need being met by that genre.

That said, at his age, you still have control over what he listens to, and perhaps you can redirect him towards something more age-appropriate or family-accepted. Or maybe there's another activity that will fulfill this need another way.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wiz never went for that largely because it was his father's preferred music - that, npr and classical. So Wiz went emo and then into who knows what.

I do have a very vivid memory of 2yo Wiz and I at Walmart on Easter morning, where he suddenly stood up in the cart (NOT something he had done before) and did an air guitar riff with his hands singing "Fire, We salute you!" from some heavy metal song he and husband had been listening to the evening before while i was at work. We were there so that husband could sleep in (Wiz woke at 5 am no matter what until his teen years, ugh). A group of little old ladies, all dressed up fancy for church started scolding me for letting him listen to "devil music".

Still makes me chuckle.

Just do NOT give him headphones for as long as possible. You won't be able to control the volume and they will cause hearing damage that won't be seen for 10+ years. My bro said that couldn't happen, was impossible, and used headphones as loud as they would go for years. Around age 24 he started noticing hearing issues and now in his forties has substantial hearing problems. The docs have said tehre is NOTHING that can be done as the damage started even before his teen years and has been so consistent.

flutterby

Fly away!
Wiz was singing AC/Difficult Child. ;)

I've always been a rocker. My first albums were Quiot Riot, Def Leppard, and Iron Maiden - I think I was 8 or so. My kids have always listened to rock/metal. So, for me it's never been an issue.