What's your favorite Christmas carol or holiday song?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Now that we have the "funny" songs listed, what's your favorite holiday song?

Personally, I always like Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer and of course, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by Bruce Springsteen. My favorite classic though, is the version of Little Drummer Boy sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

What about you?

meowbunny

Little Drummer Boy is definitely my favorite Christmas song and I do think the Cosby/Bowie version is one of the best.

For those who haven't heard it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMhSjDqvRs"]YouTube - "Little Drummer Boy", David Bowie and Bing Crosby[/ame]

F

flutterbee

My favorite is "Oh Holy Night" and there was a country singer that did it several years ago - I can't remember his name. I think he had brain cancer or something. And that new country singer chick....aaaahhhhh...the pretty one with the amazing voice....you know who I'm talking about....the one that did that song about trashing her boyfriend's truck for cheating. Gawd. But, anyway, she sings it beautifully.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Whoa. Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie? WHERE can I get this gem?

LOL Yeah, not quite the combination you would think to put together are they? But....it definately works. I don't know where exactly but I bet if you searched around, you could find a CD with that version on it. I have (or had.....difficult child is notorious for liberating and then losing/destroying my cd's) a cd of Christmas songs put out by Kohl's one year that had it on it.

I also love "Oh Holy Night" (Heather, are you thinking of Carrie Underwood?) and my favorite as of late has been "Wizards of Winter" by Trans Siberian Orchestra.

KTMom91

White Christmas. Love the movie, and will be watching it yet again on Christmas Eve after we get back from mother in law's. I'll be full of her wonderful quesadillas (homemade), probably chile verde, too...and maybe taco salad. Yum.

trinityroyal

It's really hard to pick just one favourite.

Here's my short-list:

Once in Royal David's City
Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
The Huron Carol
Do You See What I See
O Come All Ye Faithful

Another favourite is Jingle Bell Rock. Little easy child had to sing it in a Christmas concert when he was just 3. He used to mangle the words like crazy, and it's become a family tradition to sing it that way.

I love Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Of course Bruce Springsteen's version is the best. I always used to sing this one on the top of my lungs to my kids when they were younger (Not a pleasant sound - I could shatter glass with my voice, lol).

The first Christmas I spent with husband, as a joke, I gave him a small bag of coal from Santa. When my kids were young, I showed them the bag. You should have seen their eyes... It was priceless, lol!!!

White Christmas is another favorite. WFEN

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Trinity, I agree, it's difficult to choose just one. Here's my short list, lol:

Ave Maria sung by Stevie Wonder
Oh Holy Night sung by Josh Grobin
One Little Christmas Tree - again, Stevie Wonder
All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey

...and many more!

janebrain

Okay, I really dislike the Little Drummer Boy and my kids like to tease me about it whenever it comes on. I have to say though that the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version isn't too bad.

My favorite is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas though it makes me cry.

Love,
Jane

donna723

"O Holy Night" has always been one of my favorites. But I few years ago I was watching a "South Park" Christmas special where they did that song in a school Christmas pagent. And now every time I hear it, I see little Eric Cartman stuttering it out and making up his own words when he forgets the real ones - "... more presents for meeeeeee!" :redface:

I have always loved "Little Drummer Boy" too, the really old, original version.

muttmeister

I like all of the old traditional songs but after awhile they begin to give me a sugar overload.
I'm having a hard season this year because I live in an area where radio reception is poor and I rely on the satellite radio that comes with my DirecTV. For several years they've had one channel that played all of the rock and roll Christmas songs and all of the novelty songs. This year they don't have it. There are two traditional channels and one classical one. Now, I like them, for awhile..but... I want to hear My Rusty Chevrolet and I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. I want to hear Ozzie Osborne and Jessica Simpson sing that Christmas duet they do. I want to hear Elvis and The Beach Boys. I know that Twisted Sister made a new Christmas albumn. I finally found one radio station to listen to on my computer but my computer is upstairs and I don't want to sit up there all day. And besides, now I can't find it again. I feel like I've missed out on all of my favorites.

F

flutterbee

Muttmeister, for you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws"]YouTube - I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas[/ame]