What's Your Favorite Diet Meal or treat?

DDD

I'm trying to lose weight "normally". Luckily I'm not into sweets. I prefer diet soda or water. What I do is happily overeat. I just love BIG portions
and frequent portions. Maybe if you share what you eat (please forget yogurt and things with that type of texture :() it will inspire me to expand what I have in the kitchen and not get bored before the pounds fall away. :D Ideas? DDD

Mattsmom277

Chicken stew! If you use low sodium broth as a base (instead of drippings from cooked meat) you can make a delicious chicken stew with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
I throw in leeks or onions (or both), corn, peas, carrots, anything else you enjoy in the veggie family. Skip the potatoes (in stew, you won't even notice). You can buy (inexpensive too) gravy thickener so that you can thicken it without using the calories of flour or cornstarch. Alternatly, without thickening it you can make a delicious soup!
It really sticks to your ribs, for that content and full feeling that lasts. Freezes well too.

Stir fries, loaded with veggies and bean sprouts are yummy! If you use calorie free cooking spray instead of oil, you can use soy sauce for moisture etc. I don't serve mine on rice or noodles. I simply brown the meat then add tons of cut up stir fry type veggies and bean sprouts. The sprouts are a great alternative to starchy carb filled rice etc. Or if you really adore rice, try a brown or basmatti rice. Just lean more to a bit of rice with your veggies/meat, instead of other way around.

Chilli is also a great source of protein. I use extra lean grown beef, well rinsed, for my chilli. I tend to make large pots and then freeze in lunch container sizes. If containers are a pain, even a ziploc bag of measure portions is good. I take one out in the morning and often have a small bowl size portion for lunch. It is filling, great for a way to warm up mid day in the winter, and I don't seem to get hungry before dinner and hit the snacks in between.

Good luck! You can do it :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jello sugar free chocolate moose cup WITH a BLAST of SUGAR FREE heavy whip cream....mmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmm mmmmm

and the other one is

Nabisco wheat thins - Artisan white cheddar crackers....you can have 11 crackers and it's 3 g sugar maybe 4 and 130 calories.

Excellent post D3:D

klmno

difficult child and I looked into this when we were trying to help him lose weight- he is a growing boy and we love big portions, too. We found that the way things are cooked has a lot to do with it, as I'm sure you already know. Anyway, we went for cantaloup and other fruits or snacks. Oddly enough, many snack foods that I normally got him aren't really that fattenning. Other things for regular meals- more green vegies, maybe fresh broccolli or asparagus with an occasional low-fat sauce dribbled over it for variety. Salads are my favorite- but I make up for the benefits with my salad dressing. LOL!. I think some fish and seafood are lower fat meats, but I'm not positive. Stir fry and rice can be a lower fat meal depending on what is used in it. I know a lady who had the surgery to reduce weight and she eats dry cereal a lot.

Mattsmom277

I had gastic bypass as well. I learned alot about how to reduce calories, especially how to do that while still enjoying what I do eat.
I don't recommend personally eating dry cereal too often for a snack. it is shocking how calories, sugar, fat etc lurk in cereals. Cheerios and rice crispies aren't too bad though.

I concur with the sugar free pudding! I make my own (far cheaper) with the boxes, just add milk. You can add protein powder to it as well if you are cutting back on meat etc.

For special things (birthdays, christmas etc) I make a chocolate pie with the pudding, mixed with sugar free cool whip and put into a graham crust. It's no bake, recipes can be easily googled. So quick to make and the entire family enjoys them.

A omelate for dinner is a tasty option. I tend to use 2 eggs, but only one with yolk. I don't like egg white only omelates. So I just take out one yolk, keep one in, both whites. Toss in tons of chopped up veggies. Great with a toasted english muffin, which has less calories and carbs then regular bread.

klmno

I think this lady eats cheerios, MM. Your post reminded be a bagels- they are good with a little flavored cream cheese and strawberries.

DDD

What is "gravy thickener"??

I love crackers and cheese :D
I love meat and vegetables :D

:dance: Yeah! Yeah! Yeah

I love bread and butter
I love toast and Jam

OOOPS....no, no, no I Do NOT love bread and butter. I Do NOT love
toast and Jam.

I need an attitude adjustment! DDD

klmno

I love crackers and cheese
I love meat and vegetables

Ohhhh, me, too!! I found that if I get richer cheeses and gourmet crackers, I eat less of them- and eat some olives or other stuff that's low-cal with it and I eat even less yet still feel like I've gotten to enjoy some. As far as meat- shish-k-bobs of lean meat and shrimp on the grill with grilled vegies and a salad first, with a side of bread seems to mimimize my damage. LOL!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Remember Velamints?

They used to make the BEST sugar-free chocolate mints. VERY chocolately with just the right hint of mint. Always satisfied my cravings for chocolate and/or sugar.

I haven't seen them in years, though....

Too bad.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love either broiling or sauteing red peppers, mushroom, and onions together for a good side dish with dinners-it's filling and delicious. I love making chicken thighs (on the grill or many other ways) as opposed to the breasts because they are so tasty. Another side I love is just roasting potatoes in the oven at 475 degrees for about 20 minutes (I use the red potatoes and cut them in small pieces.

Snacks-I love Fiber 1 bars and Fiber Plus bars! I also love making popcorn with olive oil and pouring real butter over it. I do that on nights when I have really had good workouts during the day and haven't over eaten the rest of the day.

The trick is to be full when you're done eating, so you can be successsful and not be hungry.
Cambells Healthy Something or Other soup vegetable and pasta- 60 calories per serving and 120 for the whole can. You'll be full after you eat this.
Plain greek yogurt, add cinnamon and some oj- 100 calories, and 14 grams of protein! YUM!
My new favorite lunch- a spinach wrap, a thin spread of hummus, a bunch of shredded carrots and some fresh spinach leaves. Yummy and filling!
more later-

muttmeister

I've been dieting all summer and I'm only about 5 pounds away from my goal. I love stir fried veggies, baked sweet potatoes, vegetable soup made from scratch, low fat cottage cheese with tomatoes or fruit or sweet peppers, the foil pouches of pre-seasoned tuna, and diet jello pudding mixed with low fat cool whip (just like chocolate mousse). And my favorite thing in the world, whether I'm on a diet or not: a ripe, fresh peach.

trinityroyal

DDD, you should check out the recipe thread in the Healthful Living forum. I think it's a sticky thread at the top. We've been compiling low fat, healthy recipes over there for a while.

Trinity

witzend

Thawed out frozen edamame. Great for the soy content, since they ARE soy beans...

Apples, pears, grapes...

Sweet potato with dinner, with just a smidge of butter and lots of pepper.

A fresh tomato, cut in half, cooked on the grill with salt, pepper, basil, and about 1/2 teaspoon (yes, I said teaspoon) of a good stinky parmesan grated on top.

A boneless skinless chicken breast with a good spicy rub. Here's two.

Spiced Chicken (for four chicken breasts)

2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoons salt[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]mix with 2 tbls. of canola oil, rub on the chicken and bake or grill as usual.

OR: Spice Rubbed Picnic Chicken

(make the rub in advance and then use as needed - don't be shy!)

Rub on the chicken breasts and bake or grill as usual.

If you're watching portions, cut the breasts in half and share.

SRL

One of my issues is that I don't do well unless I have some easy fulfilling meals to grab during the day when I'm hungry.

I keep Mrs. T's perogis in the freezer--pretty low in fat and a few of those really satisfies and fills me. The past few weeks I've also been doing up a few cans of black beans for burritos. I drain and rinse, add onions, garlic plus homemade seasoning to my preferred heat level, a little OJ and water, and simmer. I keep in the fridge and serve with a tortilla, lowfat Greek yogurt, salsa, onions and a little cheese. Again, it's not like eating zero fat, zero calorie diet food, but it's not outrageous and I'm not reaching for food again soon after I've eaten.

Here's the seasoning I make up in advance:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Emerils-Southwest-Seasoning-23537