whats ??

Jena

the best ebook to buy? what type i mean? husband wanted one and thinks i'll never get it, so i figured i'd surprise him. yet looked on line there are soo many diff types.

anyone have one? i remember a while back someone wrote about one

DammitJanet

You mean reader?

Im getting the pandigital from radio shack this year. Its gonna be 149 and you get a 20 gift card. It is a android OS and you can do ebooks, surf the web, music and email. Almost like a Ipad but doesnt have all the apps. You cant add more apps.

There is also the Nook, the Kindle and the Sony. Im happy with the pandigital though because its in color and I couldnt get to color without spending almost 250 going to the Nook Color.

Jena

ha i just wrote on your other thread. he has an andriod phone already so i should just go with a reader thingy, right? i dont' wanna spend 250 though. what do you think is the best one??

KTMom91

I love my Sony PRS-505. No Internet access, but that's what I have a laptop for! No converting of files, it takes straight pdf's, and I save my books on a memory card, like the ones for digital cameras.

Jena

thanks i'm going to look it up now!! He's giving me "kid" xmas spending money on friday and since well i'm not working right now it's going to turn into husband xmas money too if i can swing it! LOL ahh the joys of marriage and not working!!

Mattsmom277

I could no longer live without my Sony eReader. I received the higher end Sony Touch edition for mothers day and I swear by it. Although I'm certain there are other good ones on the market. My cousin and I split on a Sony Pocket eReader for her son for his birthday a few weeks back. He says it works wonderfully and is enjoying it a lot. It is the kind I am buying for difficult child for Christmas. It is priced at $149 here in Canada (I believe my touch edition was $299).

Whichever one you go with, I'm betting your husband is going to love having this if he enjoys reading. It took barely any time at all to adjust to reading on it as opposed to a hard copy book. And this is coming from a book buff. Have fun shopping!!!!

Jena

he doesn't really have the time to read, yet stated the other night i bet if i had that i would read. he's hard to buy for bigtime. so i thought i'd get it for him. me personally i love books, i'd die with-one of those. i love old books especially the way the paper feels the smell. sometimes i walk thru the library just to be in it lol. weird i know. haozi thanks for that chart!!

canada and us dollars are probably almost identical now. years ago id' fly out and shop there had friends there years ago and i'd save bigtime by converting us to canadian. now i'm guessing pretty much the same

Mattsmom277

Our dollars are pretty much at par. Yet on most items, US pricing is so much better. Books for instance can run us $4-5 more for a new release soft cover for example, than the same book in the US, despite our dollars being near to par. You should have seen the rukus across Canada when our dollar was above the US dollar yet our prices were much higher for identical items. Also, things like eReaders I've never seen on sale in Canada yet see sales advertised for the US. So you might be able to luck into a better price. But even still, there are some good readers from $100 and up.

I get the joy of the books too. Love book stores, libraries, all things books. I'm happy to buy regular books when I realllly want them to keep for a collection. And I'm finding I'm saving so much with the ereader, I can afford more pricey books from time to time to add to a permanent collection. I'm learning it's easy to blend both regular books and ebooks into my reading formats.

H

HaoZi

I love books, but can only fit so many in our small apartment and the library here is nice but not that big. I'd love to have a way to have more books in less space, and then only keep the real books around that I absolutely can't do without.

LittleDudesMom

I love my Nook! I like the Nook because you have both the large Barnes & Noble selection and it supports ebooks (tons and tons free) AND you can share books with other Nook readers rather than buying!

I agree with Mary in regards to the web - Nook has web browsing in Beta now so I imagine it will eventually be updated. I just use mine as a reader and I think something can be said not always being in touch!!!

I always have mine with me because I never know when I will be waiting carpool on difficult child, sitting and waiting for an appointment, etc. But my favorite is curling up under the comforter and reading before bedtime!

I definitely read more and am always reading about three books at once!

Sharon

Jena

yea you know what i can see it too waiting in a doctor's office and didnt' wanna bring the big bulky book than you pull out the nook, or ereader or whatever as opposed to writing a shopping list or reading a carpy mag at the office waiting room :)

i think i'll look friday to see what's out there. haozi that was agreat comparison list. mattsmom yea i figured its' the same dollar here and canada. haozi our place is pretty small also. how we all fit i do not know lol, i bought at a gargage sale a corner book shelf, cheap looks great it's an antique and that's where i've been stuffing my books in.

i had alot of old war books i had bought a while ago never read them i'm retarded just liked the covers so their in there too. kids are like wow mom you read all that? ummm No just like the covers lol

H

HaoZi

I have several full bookshelves and because of Section 8 we can only get a one-bedroom apartment. I buy more shelves, look at the empty space, buy more used books, then need more shelves. Rinse, repeat. I gotta get rid of some.

Mattsmom277

Mamaof5,that is the one I just went half on with my cousin for her sons's birthday. It is the one I'm buying for my Matt for Christmas. I love my Sony touch, but in hindsight would probably be just as happy with this Pocket Addition. I learned i personally push the forward button to advance pages anyhow, rarely use the touch feature. I think its a personal thing though, feels more like i have to do something to turn a page haha. Matt I just know will probably rarely touch a key.

I do like with the one I have, the stylus and ability to write notes and the built in touch keypad. Since I carry it with me in my purse anyhow, it's so easy to throw in phone numbers I may need but I really like being able to jot down my grocery list and then physically make notes on it when I'm buying my list/shopping.

Lothlorien

I was looking at the nook too. I don't have the funds for it, but I would love to have it.

Your local library/county library (at least in the US) should have the downloadable ebooks/audiobooks. They are free. I would love the nook just for those books that I'd like to read, but can't find a suitable audio version for it.

Plus, the nook color has games on it like Soduko and word puzzles, which I like to do before I go to bed, while I'm listening to my audiobooks. Someday......I hope.

DammitJanet

The one Im getting is color which is something I like plus it has wifi and I can connect to the web...which is something else I am gonna be extremely glad about when I am stuck up at Jamie's for 5 days and have no access to a computer! At least I can check my email, facebook, get on this site, listen to music and read. Thank heavens for small favors!

H

HaoZi

I just discovered Kindle's free easy child application and a load of free books. I think we're going to go for a Kindle when we get one (or two).