Wheat Elimination diet (for people with wheat allergies)

Discussion in 'Healthful Living / Natural Treatments Archive' started by Faithful-Heart, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Faithful-Heart

Faithful-Heart New Member

I am going to try to get a series of these posted on here, each covering different foods and hope dogchopper achives them (hint, hint) so as people come along we can show them where the information is without having to type it all again. I get these lists from my allergies ladies at Nate and mine's ear, nose, throat dr.

"Wheat is one of the most hidden foods and difficult to remove 100% from your diet.

Major Sources of Wheat:

Cream of wheat
    Fariona
    Puffed Wheat
    Shredded Wheat
    Wheat snack crackers
    White and Wheat Bread
    Flours-white, whole wheat, Graham, gluten
    Wheat germ

Hidden Sources of Wheat:
    Avoid oats, barely and rye due to the cross contamination in the milling process, as well as barley and rye being closely related to wheat.
    Watch for gluten on labels, gluten provides the structural frame work for baked goods.
    Baked Goods:
    Bread and Bread crumbs
    Biscuits and biscuit mixes
    cakes, cake mixes, cake flour
    cookies
    crachers
    doughnuts
    matzos
    melba toast
    pancakes and pancake mixes
    pies and pastry
    popovers
    rye bread
    waffles and waffles mixes

Beveragers:
    Ale
    Beer Coffee substitutes..postum
    Gin
    Malted Milk-ovaltine
    soft drinks (syrup portion of soft drinks made from wheat)
    Whiskies
    Wines

Cereals--Most Cereals

Desserts and snacks:
    Chocolate and coca butter
    Chocolate candy
    Chesse spreads and sauces
    Ice cream and cones
    Custard
    Pudding
    Sherbets
    Snack Crachers

Fruits and Vegatables
    Stewed Fruits
    Creamed Vegetables
    Baked Beans
    Chili Con Carne

Meats:
    Breaded
    Processed (fillers are usually wheat)
    Sausages
    Weiners
    Luncheon Meats
    Pre-molded Hamburger
    Meat Loaf
    Meat balls

Soups:
    Bouillon Cubes
    Creamed Soups
    Chowders
    Bisques

Miscellaneous:
    Batter dipped foods
    Dumpling
    Bravy
    Pasta
    Macaroni, Noddles, Ravioli, Spaghetti
    Salad Dressing
    MSG--Monosodium Glutamate (really bad stuff for anyone too!)

Wheat Free Alternatives:
    Baked Goods made with unbleached, unenriched special flours.
    Beverages:
    Budwizer Beer
    Rum
    Club soda
    Perrier water
    Mineral water

Cereals:
    Buckwheat
    Rice
    Millet
    Amaranth

Desserts and snacks:
    Bitter coca
    Carob
    Rice cakes

Fruit and vegetables:
    Any without a wheat based thickener

Meats:
    Any plain meat without fillers
    Miscellaneous:
    Pasta Alternatives:
    Wheat free noddles
    spaghettie squash
    Mung Bean Noddles (oriental stores or specialty section of food store)
    Cellophane noddles (specialty section of food store or health food store)

Defferent Alternatives:
    Amaranth
    Artichoke
    Banana/Plantain
    Buckwheat
    Cassava
    Corn
    Lima Bean
    Lotus Root
    Malanga
    Nut and seed flours
    Oat
    Peanut
    Potato
    Quinoa
    Rice
    Sesame
    Soy Tritacle
    Water Chestnut
    White Sweet Potato
    Yam

There are many wheat alternatives and many of your favorite recipes can be made using these alternatives. You may have to do a little adjusting in the recipe but the with a little time you will have a good feel for baking without wheat.

Flour substitues:
    1 cup flour=
    1 1/8 cup rolled oats or
    3/4 cup soy four or
    5/8 cup potatoe starch flour or
    7/8 cup rice flour or
    3/4 cup of cornmeal

Wheatless all Purpose Flour
    ! cup cornstarch
    2 cups rice flour
    2 cups soy flour
    3 cups potato starch flour

Mix all ingredients togethere. Use equal amount of wheatless flour to replace wheat flour in a recipe. Bake at a lower temperature for a longer time.
    Thickening subsitutes:
    1 TBSP Flour=1/2 TBSP cornstarch
    1 TBSP Flour=1/2 TBSP Potato starch
    1 TBSP Flour= 1/2 TBSP Arrowroot flour
    1 TBSP Flour= 2 TSP Quick Tapioca

Remember to rotate. Doo not replace the daily use of wheat to a daily use of rice. You are running the risk of developing a new allergy to any repiticious food.

There are several cookbooks with wheat free receipes. Wheat is a member of the Cereal/Grain Family and closesly related to barley, malt, rye, bran, farina and graham. Be cautious, some patients who are allergic to wheat may be allergic to the others. Most patients can tolerate the other more distant relatives in the Cereal/Grain family.

Remember if you are on the sublingual neutralizing drops you do NOT have to eliminate the hidden sources, but use the four day rotation with the major sources."

The drops they are refering to follow in line with what Dr. Rapp talks about in her book, "Is this your child?" The drops stop a food allergy reaction and are made by the lab just for that person. Nate was taking them and they stopped an allergic reaction to his milk, yeast, soy and egg allergies...but did not help with dyes or any other food allergies he may have but was not tested for.

Plus insurance didn't cover them and they were very expensive...so instead they told me about the Buffered Vitamine C which is much cheaper and can be bought at health food stores and stops any food allergy reacting including to dyes also. I use this only now with him and sometimes I drink it too!

2. mirandalee63

mirandalee63 New Member

NO I WILL NOT ARCHIVE THEM!!
    you know i will !!!!

3. Faithful-Heart

Oh you are such a meany! I know one thing I am sure glad Nate doesn't have a wheat allergy on top of his other ones....the poor child would have nothing to eat!

4. mirandalee63

mirandalee63 New Member

Im with you there!! I dont even want to know if my kid has a wheat allergy!!! EEKS.
    :eek:

5. AngelFehry

AngelFehry New Member

Believe me - its a nightmare!!! You have to check & then double check the ingredients of everything you buy ... looking for hidden 'wheat or gluten' which can be described as rusk, fillers, starch ... and others that my brain can't think of !!

Also , just a note ... if its a gluten allergy (as opposed to a plain wheat allergy) you can't eat oats, barley or rye ...as they all contain gluten!

Hazel

6. Faithful-Heart

Oh I bet...I didn't think this covered gluten...some of it but not all. Corn is also another very hard one to do...Nate came out ok on that one too. Whew!

7. AngelFehry

AngelFehry New Member

you get gluten in wheat! Nik is intolerant to corn too .. she's just greedy! Saying that she can tolerate modified maize starch in small doses on a rotational diet (so makes life a tiny bit easier)

Hazel