Wheat Elimination diet (for people with wheat allergies)

Faithful-Heart

I am going to try to get a series of these posted on here, each covering different foods and hope dogchopper achives them (hint, hint) so as people come along we can show them where the information is without having to type it all again. I get these lists from my allergies ladies at Nate and mine's ear, nose, throat dr.

"Wheat is one of the most hidden foods and difficult to remove 100% from your diet.

Major Sources of Wheat:

Cream of wheat
Fariona
Puffed Wheat
Shredded Wheat
Wheat snack crackers
White and Wheat Bread
Flours-white, whole wheat, Graham, gluten
Wheat germ

Hidden Sources of Wheat:
Avoid oats, barely and rye due to the cross contamination in the milling process, as well as barley and rye being closely related to wheat.
Watch for gluten on labels, gluten provides the structural frame work for baked goods.
Baked Goods:
Bread and Bread crumbs
Biscuits and biscuit mixes
cakes, cake mixes, cake flour
cookies
crachers
doughnuts
matzos
melba toast
pancakes and pancake mixes
pies and pastry
popovers
rye bread
waffles and waffles mixes

Beveragers:
Ale
Beer Coffee substitutes..postum
Gin
Malted Milk-ovaltine
soft drinks (syrup portion of soft drinks made from wheat)
Whiskies
Wines

Cereals--Most Cereals

Desserts and snacks:
Chocolate and coca butter
Chocolate candy
Chesse spreads and sauces
Ice cream and cones
Custard
Pudding
Sherbets
Snack Crachers

Fruits and Vegatables
Stewed Fruits
Creamed Vegetables
Baked Beans
Chili Con Carne

Meats:
Breaded
Processed (fillers are usually wheat)
Sausages
Weiners
Luncheon Meats
Pre-molded Hamburger
Meat Loaf
Meat balls

Soups:
Bouillon Cubes
Creamed Soups
Chowders
Bisques

Miscellaneous:
Batter dipped foods
Dumpling
Bravy
Pasta
Macaroni, Noddles, Ravioli, Spaghetti
Salad Dressing
MSG--Monosodium Glutamate (really bad stuff for anyone too!)

Wheat Free Alternatives:
Baked Goods made with unbleached, unenriched special flours.
Beverages:
Budwizer Beer
Rum
Club soda
Perrier water
Mineral water

Cereals:
Buckwheat
Rice
Millet
Amaranth

Desserts and snacks:
Bitter coca
Carob
Rice cakes

Fruit and vegetables:
Any without a wheat based thickener

Meats:
Any plain meat without fillers
Miscellaneous:
Pasta Alternatives:
Wheat free noddles
spaghettie squash
Mung Bean Noddles (oriental stores or specialty section of food store)
Cellophane noddles (specialty section of food store or health food store)

Defferent Alternatives:
Amaranth
Artichoke
Banana/Plantain
Buckwheat
Cassava
Corn
Lima Bean
Lotus Root
Malanga
Nut and seed flours
Oat
Peanut
Potato
Quinoa
Rice
Sesame
Soy Tritacle
Water Chestnut
White Sweet Potato
Yam

There are many wheat alternatives and many of your favorite recipes can be made using these alternatives. You may have to do a little adjusting in the recipe but the with a little time you will have a good feel for baking without wheat.

Flour substitues:
1 cup flour=
1 1/8 cup rolled oats or
3/4 cup soy four or
5/8 cup potatoe starch flour or
7/8 cup rice flour or
3/4 cup of cornmeal

Wheatless all Purpose Flour
! cup cornstarch
2 cups rice flour
2 cups soy flour
3 cups potato starch flour

Mix all ingredients togethere. Use equal amount of wheatless flour to replace wheat flour in a recipe. Bake at a lower temperature for a longer time.
Thickening subsitutes:
1 TBSP Flour=1/2 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP Flour=1/2 TBSP Potato starch
1 TBSP Flour= 1/2 TBSP Arrowroot flour
1 TBSP Flour= 2 TSP Quick Tapioca

Remember to rotate. Doo not replace the daily use of wheat to a daily use of rice. You are running the risk of developing a new allergy to any repiticious food.

There are several cookbooks with wheat free receipes. Wheat is a member of the Cereal/Grain Family and closesly related to barley, malt, rye, bran, farina and graham. Be cautious, some patients who are allergic to wheat may be allergic to the others. Most patients can tolerate the other more distant relatives in the Cereal/Grain family.

Remember if you are on the sublingual neutralizing drops you do NOT have to eliminate the hidden sources, but use the four day rotation with the major sources."

The drops they are refering to follow in line with what Dr. Rapp talks about in her book, "Is this your child?" The drops stop a food allergy reaction and are made by the lab just for that person. Nate was taking them and they stopped an allergic reaction to his milk, yeast, soy and egg allergies...but did not help with dyes or any other food allergies he may have but was not tested for.

Plus insurance didn't cover them and they were very expensive...so instead they told me about the Buffered Vitamine C which is much cheaper and can be bought at health food stores and stops any food allergy reacting including to dyes also. I use this only now with him and sometimes I drink it too!

Faithful-Heart

Oh you are such a meany! I know one thing I am sure glad Nate doesn't have a wheat allergy on top of his other ones....the poor child would have nothing to eat!

AngelFehry

Believe me - its a nightmare!!! You have to check & then double check the ingredients of everything you buy ... looking for hidden 'wheat or gluten' which can be described as rusk, fillers, starch ... and others that my brain can't think of !!

Also , just a note ... if its a gluten allergy (as opposed to a plain wheat allergy) you can't eat oats, barley or rye ...as they all contain gluten!

Hazel

Faithful-Heart

Oh I bet...I didn't think this covered gluten...some of it but not all. Corn is also another very hard one to do...Nate came out ok on that one too. Whew!

AngelFehry

you get gluten in wheat! Nik is intolerant to corn too .. she's just greedy! Saying that she can tolerate modified maize starch in small doses on a rotational diet (so makes life a tiny bit easier)

Hazel