When Deputy Sheriffs attack....

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You should know get to know about bake sales and glee club... You could come teach K how to play a song on the piano... that is what she has been trying to do this week. I can't play! ;)
You think they could waste the State money on something else Huh? You have been one of the few pro active Moms in these situations. You have been helpful and forthcoming. You have always been honest. But once again it don't amount nor count for much.

Sorry once again sorry

witzend

In all fairness we never open the door to any stranger - police included - without first putting the dogs in their crates. The police are cool with waiting for the dogs to be put away. I yell through the door, "I'm putting the dogs away!" Of course, my three giant dogs run full steam at the door barking and jump up on it. You can just see their barking faces through the leaded glass windows. It's quite handy for those idjits who can't figure out what the "No Soliciting" sign on my doorstep means. It's not my fault that they walked all the way up to my door. And I'm not going to open it if I think you're selling something or came to invite me your church! Believe me, if you came knocking at my door you don't want me at your church.

I just let them bark, and most of the time people go away.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Janet

We have the same philosophy about dogs. Now I love my furbabies to death, but they also have a purpose. And that purpose is to scare the life out of anyone trying to come into the house/yard that has no business being there. And they do a fantastic job of living up to their job description. They have bad reputations, all 3 of them, and I do nothing to change it.

I also always stop to put the dogs up when I open the door to a stranger, no matter who they are. And yeah, mine are jumping on the door barking/growling and up into the windows.......salesmen and the like don't hang around long enough for me to open the door. lol

I've had them do it to cops 2-3 times. Cops always wait while I put them up. No biggie. (cops weren't here cuz of us, but for someone else I'd reported on) But cops around here anticipate big protective dogs as anyone with half a brain has them.

DammitJanet

I really do think it was unnecessary what Star went through unless Dude was a bail jumper...we had something like that happen when Cory had a bail revocation one time, but when Cory was living here, his PO told us that our main part of the house was "ours" and that he wouldnt burst in and search that area. He would and could arrive and look for Cory and ask to come in and search Cory's room at any time because that was Cory's area of the house. Now when Cory moved out, he had the right to go into Cory's house at anytime. I should say has because Cory is still on probation. He just isnt on intensive probation anymore so the PO doesnt go out and check on him. Cory has to check in with him. But Sean could turn up at anytime and go into Cory's house without a warrant and search it.

I really worried about the PO coming in and searching the house when they put Cory back in here because really, we have guns, I have my medications, I sometimes use wine to cook with, Tony might want the occasional beer. Say we might want to have a glass of champagne for New Years? Are we going to have to be on probation too? Get rid of all our stuff? They told us no. We could keep the guns in our bedroom and of course, my medications were in my room in a safe and any alcohol was ours in the kitchen in the main part of the house. As long as it wasnt in Cory's room, things were fine.

M

ML

I have nothing to add to what Suz said. I'm kind of still in shock and can only imagin how traumatic that must have been and hope you are beginning to stabilize. Unfreakinbelievable.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well - Just to add insult to injury in case anyone was wondering the legalities and your rights as an American citizen. I found out today just what rights I have.

I consulted our attorney. We have none. In a nutshell? I can't unbecome the boys Mother, the law can do whatever it needs to do to capture a criminal no matter WHAT the charges, I'm lucky they didn't shoot my dog in the line of duty, I'm very lucky the dog didn't bite anyone and have his head cut off for a rabies test, and I'm extremely lucky knowing I have bulldogs that IIIIIIIIIIIIII am not being sued because I own three of the worst dogs you can own as a homeowner. Well gheesh....the poodle just wasn't keeping the robbers out of the yard. The fact that I have a crazy ex that has been trying to kill me for years and I have a need to protect myself in my home? Tough luck. No joke - My attorney said if I was sleeping in the house and heard a noise, went down the hallway armed and discharged a weapon thinking one of the officers was a robber sneaking around in my home? I would be charged with murder and probably do life in prison or worse.

Basically I was told today I have no rights in my own home.

Short of selling that house, moving and giving no forwarding address? We're asking for a phillips in the noggin'. DF will be THRILLED.

DDD

Don't you just hate losing your innocence? I sure do. "Back in the day" I honestly believed that the good guys were good guys. I guess that confidence only belongs to adults with no difficult child's.I've been a social services volunteer for almost fifty years, I have two kids who are in law enforcement, I've been the leader of a huge patriotic organization. Would I have ever believedthat I would distrust the "system"...heck no. I'm sorry, Starbie. Sorry for your family and sorryfor all the innocent victims that we never hear about. Hugs DDD

DammitJanet

Thats basically what Jamie told me.

If you can tell them where Dude is or has moved or give a forwarding address then his address will become someplace else and they wont have yours listed as his primary address anymore. Now they may still come to you to ask you if you know where he is but it wont be as violent. Cory has to change his address within 30 days. And you better believe he hot-foots it down there to do so...lol.

Mom2oddson

{{{hugs}}}.... Don't know what is the worst part, Part 1 - where you and the pup gets a face full of pepper spray, or Part 2 - where you have no rights? Both stink!

And I think every police-person should have to own a pit bull....worst dog my fanny! (I'm biassed though)

Anyways, I hope you, DF and the pups are recovering well.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have another "bad" breed. A german shepherd. NOT an American style one, but a German import who is nothing but 95lbs of fur, muscle, and TEETH. He's actually VERY friendly with invited guests in the house (obnoxiously so if not put on orders), I always put him up as a courtesy before opening my door to official visitors.

Because I'm home during the day, I've had the police/sheriffs stop by to ask questions about what I see going on in the mobile home park. The first time they came by, I answered the door holding this snarling behemoth by the collar and one of the cops backed up and drew his pistol!

I asked them to wait a minute while I put the dog up, did so, and then invited them in. I had no doubts that they would've shot Gryphon if he'd continued threatening like that.

Nowadays, they are so cool with him that they ask if I've got a treat they can give him. Gryphon thinks guys in uniform are cool people as a result. I hand out a few treats, tell the dog to 'sit', and they are always impressed that he will not take food until given the OK.

That said; the cops're right to be afraid of these dogs, any of the breeds, and GSDs have a solid rep for being extremely protective of their territory and their people that is very well earned.

Sadly, pits and rotties have a bad reputation made worse by irresponsible owners who use the dogs as weapons. Pits were bred to be dog aggressive. Rotties were bred to be guard dogs for butchers and cattle drovers and are, like GSDs, naturally human-aggressive. It is the responsibility of the owners to control and channel that aggression.

susiestar

Roll With It
The whole thing stinks. Do you know daddy dearest's address or his mothers or any of that clans address? If so, give it to the PO and have it changed to that. It might at least take some of the heat off of you, and lower the chances that this might happen again.

In my state if I shoot a cop in the middle of the night it is ONLY murder if the officer has not announced himself. If he is sneaking through the home and I hear a noise and shoot, then it is just my word, but it is not murder as long as the officer did NOT yell that he was a cop. If he calls out that he is a cop, or with the PD, THEN it is murder. This hit the courts a couple of years back and that is what was decided. It was a big long debate but the officer shouldn't be in a private home in the middle of the night with-o announcing his presence.

Not many states rule like us on this though.

If it does come down to that, and the homeowner does injure or kill an officer and is found to be in the right, well, the police, sheriff, ALL branches of law enforcement would make the homeowner's life a misery forever after though. So either way, it hoovers.

I am glad that neither you nor your furbabies were shot. VERY glad. I HATE that Dude put you in position to be treated like this, victimized by both the system and the man-child you love but who let you twist in the wind to pay for HIS problems.

Have you heard from Dude to let him know what is up? What, if anything, does he say??

Estherfromjerusalem

I find it a bit difficult to make head or tail of your laws in the U.S.

Just wanted you to know, Star, that I am thinking of you, and I am truly sorry that you have to go through all this cr*p.

Love, Esther

gottaloveem

I find this entire episode rather gestapoish. 8 police officers in riot gear come to your house and because of a no knock law can burst right in? Look at the fear and panic they caused. These are our police officers that are serving and protecting us? What if PO came with- a cop and nicely knocked on your door? What would be so bad about that? Why all the drama? All this for a KID who is 3 weeks late reporting to probation? There are predators out there causing havoc in our society that take children away from the love and safety of their homes and families and kill them, and the police department is the hell bent on finding DUDE?

What the ? has happened in our country?. This would've never happened in the 70's here.

I'm aghast and horrified at the heavy handed efforts used on a family in the privacy of their own home.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Love,
Lia

PS: I'm also sorry that with 4 3/4 down and 1/4 left to go on probation Dude doesn't check in. I understand when you say you wish you knew about glee club, football and PTA meetings.
(((HUGS)))

Star*

call 911........call 911
Here's is how it was explained to me and I mean COMMON SENSE IS ABSOLUTELY DEAD in this state.....COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, gone.......

IF.....I am in my home, my yard is fenced in, I have a garage, it is locked, the door is dead bolted, the tools inside are in a tool box, and the tools are locked, and I pay the electric company EXTRA every month for a security light. I have done EVERYTHING I can possibly do to secure my property that I worked for and own. Then at 2:00 AM a person decides that they want to come into my yard, over my fence, break my door lock, break my door, bust the lock off of my tool box, and put MY tools into a bag that they brought with them to STEAL my tools and my chihuahua runs outside and bites them on the ankle and draws blood -----

Let's say for argument sake, I hear the person in MY garage and I walk out to investigate and call 911 and they come immediately ----

IF my dog is ONE DAY LATE on a rabies vaccine......ONE DAY.....he will be destroyed, have his head cut off, and be examined while the man who intruded into my fenced in yard and broke MY door, broke my locks, and broke into MY locked tool box and stole MY things, will undergo a series of three shots for rabies, and WILL GET AN ATTORNEY TO SUE ME.....and win. I will pay for his medical care, pain and suffering, and possibly loose my home. BECAUSE? I was an irresponsible pet owner of an animal that I know has a propensity to bite. (all dogs have a propensity to bite henceforth - if you own a dog, and it gets to a person who is in your home unwanted and bites them it really does not matter the breed - you CAN and more than likely WILL be sued.) The attorney told me EVEN if it's in the day time.....and a child comes into your yard to get a ball....and your dog bites them? YOU CAN BE SUED. If someone just crosses your yard....and your pet bites them? YOU CAN BE SUED. IF THEY TRESPASS....and your animal bites them? Sued.

Does not matter that they came into my yard to get a ball, steal, or do me or my family harm. Does not matter that I took lessons to carry a weapon to be "legal", does not matter that I trained my dogs, does not matter that I bought locks, or purchased a fence to keep my family safe, or got an alarm, or know martial arts - and that's a whole other story of which you can be sued for.....YOU CAN NOT DO ANYTHING TO PROTECT YOURSELF IN YOUR HOME FROM AN INVASION ANYMORE BUT CALL 911 and hide until the police get there.

That is in a nutshell what we were told......doesn't matter that I have a "vicious breed" that just makes it more notorious and harder to get home owners insurance and in some states or municipalities they have outlawed certain breeds. You can't believe what gets included on vicious breed when it goes to court. ANYTHING with teeth......can be considered vicious. I digress.......I've been bitten by plenty of toddlers, so I agree.

This country has really gone down hill......on a fast track to idiotville. Worst bite I ever got? Squirrel. I've even been bit in the face by a horse -didn't hurt as bad as the squirrel and she had my entire cheek in her teeth. (yeah I know you're thinking only you Star)

As far as Dude? I won't hear from him for a long, long time I'm sure. I mean if you were DF what would your opening line be "Hi son, gosh it's been so great around here - we're on edge like never before, your brother could have been killed by a sheriff, and nearly went blind trying to defend our home, your Mother took one for the team with pepper spray in the face, all heck broke loose, I call a cop an SOB....and well now we've been told we can host OPEN HOUSE for the cops 24/7 -365 until you go to prison - your Mother just upped her anti-depressants to the maximum dosage and spends most of her free time trying to scrape the cheese back on her cracker and keep her tears hidden from me so I won't get angry....nice talking to you, come home soon." All the funny has left our house. Even my rolling monkey doesn't make me laugh right now.

Mom2oddson

I call a cop an SOB....and well now we've been told we can host OPEN HOUSE for the cops 24/7 -365 until you go to prison - your Mother just upped her anti-depressants to the maximum dosage and spends most of her free time trying to scrape the cheese back on her cracker and keep her tears hidden from me so I won't get angry...

OMG!! Sending cyber super-glue to help hold the cheese on your cracker.

Guess you could put and Open House for Cops sign in your yard and offer lemonaide and cookies..... :faint:(insert censored word here!)

{{{{many HUGS}}}}

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks Oddmom ...........I was thinking since the place is open anyway - maybe we'd just offer coffee and doughnuts at our drive through window. We're fresh out of cheese.....lots of whine...., sorry no cheese. :tongue: