When did we become so stupid?

mstang67chic

Going Green
I got a sundae from McD's the other day. They gave me a little packet of nuts that I just threw in my purse. I pulled it out today and was looking at it. Could someone please explain to me when we as a nation became so bleeping stupid that we require an ALLERGY WARNING on a pack of chopped PEANUTS???? Or, for that matter, tags like the one on my hair dryer stating "DO NOT USE WHILE IN THE SHOWER".

Granted, there are lots of people who would purposely injure themselves in order to sue someone because there wasn't a warning label telling them that it's dangerous to use gas in a kerosene heater or something. I'm sorry but if you are that greedy then you deserve whatever harm you do to yourself. And if you are truly that stupid and are injured, then it is the fault of the people who are supposed to be supervising you, NOT the manufacturer.

I just wonder when we are going to regain our common sense and start booting some of these lawsuits and warning label regulations out on their hiney's.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm alI wways glad to see the warning labels re: shellfish, since the by-products of shellfish are used in so many items (like joint supplents and the like).

BUT, I was a bit surprised to be shopping a while back with a friend of mine and reading the label on a package of frozen crab-legs. They had a big, fat warning on them that they contained shellfish.

I should think at fifteen dollars a lb., one would be highly incensed if one's crab-legs didn't contain shellfish!

The nut and peanut labelling also annoys me when it is on a jar of peanut butter or sack of almonds.

I do often wonder about something husband's oncologist once said to him in regarding how long his immune system had held out with his disease: "Every child needs to eat a bit of dirt now and again."

I think that may apply to allergens as well. I wonder if we aren't setting our kids up for allergies later on by being overly cautious now.

busywend

The lawsuit thing puts me on edge big time. So many people are allowed to sue for reasons that seem like a dumb move on their part. Why is someone else at fault?

I tried to sue the doctor that cared for me when I had a stillborn - knowing I had high blood pressure, blood in my urine, and ankles that I could push in and the dent would stay there all day (toxemia) - he let me go 2 weeks overdue. I was told that since MY life was not in danger I could not sue him.
I just wanted to make sure he could not do this to someone else. I did not care about any money - no amount could reverse what he did (or didn't do).

KTMom91

Miss KT was making a frozen pizza the other day...the directions said to remove plastic wrap before putting pizza in oven. She asked, "Who's dumb enough to put a plastic covered pizza in the oven?"

I'm sure someone was, once upon a time...

JJJ

Those labels are for Kanga, Eeyore and one of my sisters. My sister is actually quite smart but no common sense.

Thank you for reading them too! :rofl: :rofl:

DammitJanet

Everything has a warning label these days.

Coffee is hot. Ya think?

Items may be hot when removing them from microwave or oven. One would hope so. Isnt that why I put them in the oven?

On a knife package: Item is sharp. Oh really? I was shopping for a dull knife..lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I do often wonder about something husband's oncologist once said to him in regarding how long his immune system had held out with his disease: "Every child needs to eat a bit of dirt now and again."
I think that may apply to allergens as well. I wonder if we aren't setting our kids up for allergies later on by being overly cautious now.

I agree - I am asthmatic and was raised in a not so clean home with lots of family around and at least 3-4 domesticated animals at any given time. We always had a real Christmas tree and my grandmother crocheted us woolen blankets for our beds. The only time my mother ever sheltered me and my asthma was when one of the neighbors was out mowing his lawn - actually writing this is making laugh at the realization of her looniness! Protect me from nature, but never mind all the stuff that was within her control! Absurd.

Anyway, I recall when my oldest niece was born and my sister in law lined everything with plastic - her bed, pillows,etc. She wasn't allowed to have any stuffed animals, no live animals, no rugs or curtains or drapes at all in the house. sister in law wouldn't let her eat eggs, whole milk products or any nuts. This child grew to be a highly allergic teen and is now an adult with awful allergies. As she navigated outside her parents home, she came in contact with all sorts of allergens because she'd never really been exposed due to my sister in law's overzealous, albeit well-meaning, motives to keep her from having an allergy attack.

I often wonder if we go to far in protecting our kids from things they don't necessarily need protection from! I don't remember anyone in my elementary classes every being allergic to peanuts and all the moms sent in cupcakes for birthdays.

Re: the warning labels...I especially love the one on a lady's shaver that said - "For External Use Only"....baaahaahaaa

mstang67chic

Going Green
Some of the warning labels I can understand like the ones GN talked about. There are some things that may not contain typical allergens but could have been in contact with them. THOSE I can see. But the ones that normal common sense should cover....are asinine.

DammitJanet

I want to know who (besides my daughter in law) lets babies put plastic bags over their heads? And when they do, why do they think that warning label is going to make a difference?

And when does Not for children under 3 stop someone from buying said toy? LOL.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Toothpicks have instructions... Pizza said to cook before eating... Assembly instructions on a paper bag the other day... It goes on and on.

Oh yeah. And don't use a hair dryer in the shower.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
1. Unfold bag
2. Reaching inside, push bottom away from body
3. Straighten sides

I think that's what it said I don't have it here...

SRL

Miss KT was making a frozen pizza the other day...the directions said to remove plastic wrap before putting pizza in oven. She asked, "Who's dumb enough to put a plastic covered pizza in the oven?"

I have a friend who wasn't much of a cook and once she left the wrappers on the American cheese slices when she made sandwiches.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I just found this in the December Reader's Digest. It's from a small end of article blurb about complaints to travel agents.

No one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled.

:slap:

Abbey

Spork Queen
I know at work having plastic bags fall on the floor while you're stocking is a HUGE NO NO. It's literally termination qualifications.

I asked about it one day and evidently someone in the chain's history one of the gazillion bags we rip open each day was left behind and some unattended kid put the darn thing over his head and died. Ensue lawsuit.

I think the warning sign should be at the door: Enter at your own risk with YOUR children. Do not leave them unattended. We assume no responsibility.

Step - I think if you're dumb enough to use a blow dryer in the shower, you deserve the consequences. It's called natural selection of the species.

Stang - you can bet that every day world-wide some 6 year old kid was given a buck to go to McD's and get a sundae ALONE. Hmmm...sundae...just going to eat. The kid is not going to read the label. The problem is recognizing your kid has an allergy and allowing him/her to do this by themselves. Enter lawsuit.

I love the knife one. I bought a new cutter the other day and it had the same warning. Gee...I thought I was buying a dull one. I'm glad you warned me.

Abbey