When difficult child's are in legal trouble...

klmno

(I'm going to assume that this isn't just a local or state matter)

The NAMI volunteer who called me last week refferred me to VOPA- Virginia Office of Protection & Advocacy, I think. Apparently, they aren't a government agency but help those with mental health issues who get caught up in the legal system. (Do they have these everywhere?) Anyway, they couldn't help- why? The ONLY reason was because I have already been paying an attny for difficult child for the past year, since I fired the public defender.

I just thought I would throw that info out in case anyone else ends up having a difficult child in legal trouble- you have to call the OPA FIRST - before any other attny. Well, that bit of info could have saved me about $4000....And, they probably could have and would have done a lot better job getting difficult child a fair punishment and educating the courts a little more.

I don't know why it always seems that I find out really important stuff after the fact.

It would have been nice if the GAL had just mentioned this to me.

Steely

Interesting info.
Thanks for sharing, even after the fact.
I still am searching for my meaning on this planet - it seems that I have to have lived it in order to know it - perhaps you feel the same way.

judi

Wow - sounds like a good program if you find out about it BEFORE you get too far into the system.

In IL, we don't have anything as near as I can tell. My son has stayed out of jail for over 4 years now. Both times he spent the night, I called the crisis mental health team for the county to go and assess him at the jail and they put him in a private cell. However, I only knew of this program because of what I do for a living.

I agree; its very frustrating.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Thanks for the info. Not to be borrowing trouble, but I imagine I will need this down the road, so I'm going to look into it now.

Good to know.

klmno

Shari, just in case- you're doing the right thing. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had called NAMI and other agencies at the first sign of a mood disorder in difficult child. Just to get the spill and learn the ins and outs.

Steely, you bet I understand- I'm left feeling like I'm learning everything in hindsight for the past 3 years now. It might not feel so bad if I was raising a younger child, too, that I thought this would help- but, shoot, this is my one-time shot. I'm just left feeling like "this is what I should have known and this is what I should have done and this is what I did wrong". Experience is wasted on those who can't use it now. That is how I feel right now. It is just frustration- I try to remind myself how much worse it could and would be if I hadn't found this board. Really, the support and suggestions and shared knowledge cannot be matched anywhere.

So, while I whine because I didn't find it sooner, I also have to be grateful that I found it at all- and before anything got any worse.